Thanks Thanks:  76
Likes Likes:  153
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Melbourne - 2021 AAMI Community Series

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Things are gonna be pretty bad if we trot out a similar rd 1 performance to last year. Same team again this year, one that we will be fighting with for a spot in the 8. We shouldn't accept anything but a win.
    I am terrified of this happening. Would be so deflating.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I am terrified of this happening. Would be so deflating.
    Ditto. Now 2 years in a row.

Nothing short of an arm wrestle until the end or a win will suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

It'd be horrendous, three out of four years having our arses handed to us post a lucklustre performance would I think rightfully set us off.

I hope everyone at the club understands how much we as supporters and they themselves need us to put in a committed performance.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It'd be horrendous, three out of four years having our arses handed to us post a lucklustre performance would I think rightfully set us off.

I hope everyone at the club understands how much we as supporters and they themselves need us to put in a committed performance.
    If we lose, I won't be logging in
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I am expecting an emphatic win with a follow up over the Weagles in round 2 only to fail miserably against North in round 3.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Much like some others, I'm not sure what to make of beating a Melbourne side that didn't have Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw, Brown and Salem. We probably did what I'd expect us to do.

My highlights were;

Buku's kick to English on the wing. Took the longer, riskier option and executed it perfectly and having 2 Melbourne defenders commit to English, it opened up the ground for us to score. Huge moment for him and grew in confidence for the rest of the game.

Bont and Macrae looked super.

Bailey Williams.

Concerns;

Defense. Still think our team defense and our one on one defending is not at the level of the top teams.
    Overuse of the ball in the first half particularly.
    Buku’s kick, may have been my favourite moment of the game (ok it was probably Bont’s goal). To see it, then to choose it over the easy option, then to execute it was everything I want from our team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Much like some others, I'm not sure what to make of beating a Melbourne side that didn't have Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw, Brown and Salem. We probably did what I'd expect us to do.

My highlights were;

Buku's kick to English on the wing. Took the longer, riskier option and executed it perfectly and having 2 Melbourne defenders commit to English, it opened up the ground for us to score. Huge moment for him and grew in confidence for the rest of the game.

Bont and Macrae looked super.

Bailey Williams.

Concerns;

Defense. Still think our team defense and our one on one defending is not at the level of the top teams.
    Overuse of the ball in the first half particularly.
    I didn’t expect the Dogs to be held for 3 quarters by an undermanned Demons team. Just as I didn’t expect to see them beaten comfortably by an almost nonexistent Hawks. Monday’s win was the result of one good quarter.

For most of the game the forward line was dysfunctional, not helped by poor delivery (with a few notable exceptions), a return of the nightmares in 2020. The backline was hard to watch. Gardner simply throwing himself over the top of the pack, even if one of ours had everything covered. Crozier too. Spectacular 1%ers leading to injury don’t make up for everyone being in the wrong place. It took a player hoping to get his first game to give us something positive back there.

After the two practise matches I am still trying to figure out what we were practising. Plenty of talented individuals, l’d rather see a good team so I can face the season with some confidence.

8. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If we lose, I won't be logging in
    Don't worry, I have the keys to the internet and I will turn it off.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Don't worry, I have the keys to the internet and I will turn it off.
    Thanks DR, it may be needed.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    I didn’t expect the Dogs to be held for 3 quarters by an undermanned Demons team. Just as I didn’t expect to see them beaten comfortably by an almost nonexistent Hawks. Monday’s win was the result of one good quarter.

For most of the game the forward line was dysfunctional, not helped by poor delivery (with a few notable exceptions), a return of the nightmares in 2020. The backline was hard to watch. Gardner simply throwing himself over the top of the pack, even if one of ours had everything covered. Crozier too. Spectacular 1%ers leading to injury don’t make up for everyone being in the wrong place. It took a player hoping to get his first game to give us something positive back there.

After the two practise matches I am still trying to figure out what we were practising. Plenty of talented individuals, l’d rather see a good team so I can face the season with some confidence.
    We dominated that game, as we should have, but lacked that forward connection at times, as you and everybody else has pointed out.

How you can take such a negative view of a largely positive performance surprises me, although it really shouldn't by now. Yes there were some familiar flaws there, but there was plenty to like too.

Post Thanks / Like

For me it’s simple. Have a performance like that against say the pies, tigers, cats etc and I’ll become more optimistic.

It was a mostly positive performance. But we need to start seeing it consistently and against quality opponents. I mean, taking the north and Adelaide games of last season on their own and you’d have no reason to be negative. But look how our season went.
    Last edited by bulldogsthru&thru; 11-03-2021 at 01:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    We dominated that game, as we should have, but lacked that forward connection at times, as you and everybody else has pointed out.

How you can take such a negative view of a largely positive performance surprises me, although it really shouldn't by now. Yes there were some familiar flaws there, but there was plenty to like too.
    31 scoring shots with 64 entries and a very good win against a team that missed the 8 by 2 points. Yes they had two of their good mids missing (not including Brayshaw - he has been rubbish the past year) and we had plenty out as well as some injuries during the game.

No team plays four quarters of unbelievable footy.

I am looking forward to the year ahead and really the past is the past and who cares how we performed in the past 4 years, it is finished gone.

We are now more mature as a team, and have some depth to cover injuries. Like every team, we have our flaws and weaknesses.

Bring it on I say

15. Likes merantau, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This may sound ridiculous, but I almost think we need a run of injuries to our primo mids so that we can give opportunities to some of the second stringers who may inject some of the energy, tenacity and defensive pressure that's often needed.

It might force the whole team to rethink the way they approach the game. Bring back a bit of that 2016 'against the odds' attitude.

17. Likes soupman, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    This may sound ridiculous, but I almost think we need a run of injuries to our primo mids so that we can give opportunities to some of the second stringers who may inject some of the energy, tenacity and defensive pressure that's often needed.

It might force the whole team to rethink the way they approach the game. Bring back a bit of that 2016 'against the odds' attitude.
    Have you been reading this: https://www.afl.com.au/news/561008/c...back-the-clock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Buku’s kick, may have been my favourite moment of the game (ok it was probably Bont’s goal). To see it, then to choose it over the easy option, then to execute it was everything I want from our team.
    My favourite moment was Bailey Williams selling candy flawlessly three times in 5 seconds.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs