Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R1 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    How hasn’t the AFL realised that opening with Richmond Carlton each year for no reason is so damn boring?

Or am i just so meh with anything non-dogs that I’ve lost touch?
    They've won 8 in a row! It's insanely boring.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought it was a good game. Carlton look good. Will be really pushing for the 8 this year if they keep that form up.

Think that the Tigers just know how to get a job done. Responded well under pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

I found there was little defense by either team, it was just free for all and whoever made the most skill errors and turned the ball over was going to lose. This is how Richmond like to play, free flowing footy and they are a skill full side.

The BS the commentary team came out with talking up the stand on the mark rule and the 75 interchanges and saying Hocking is basically a genius really got on my nerve.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the new standing the mark rule.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I found there was little defense by either team, it was just free for all and whoever made the most skill errors and turned the ball over was going to lose. This is how Richmond like to play, free flowing footy and they are a skill full side.

The BS the commentary team came out with talking up the stand on the mark rule and the 75 interchanges and saying Hocking is basically a genius really got on my nerve.
    Effectively what happens now in the NBA. This is the result of rule changes to increase scoring. What the AFL is wanting. I don't like it in the NBA and won't in the AFL. Defence has its place in sports.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Effectively what happens now in the NBA. This is the result of rule changes to increase scoring. What the AFL is wanting. I don't like it in the NBA and won't with the AFL. Defence has its place in sports.
    Personally, I don't think it is due to rule changes, it is the way Richmond like to play. Plus have a look every year the way footy is played in the first 4 to 6 weeks is different to the rest of the year.

To beat Richmond, you need to apply a lot of tackling pressure and not let them get loose and run in waves.

I agree with you this is what the AFL is wanting, but it will get boring.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Personally, I don't think it is due to rule changes, it is the way Richmond like to play. Plus have a look every year the way footy is played in the first 4 to 6 weeks is different to the rest of the year.

To beat Richmond, you need to apply a lot of tackling pressure and not let them get loose and run in waves.

I agree with you this is what the AFL is wanting, but it will get boring.
    I agree with most of your points, however I think the rule changes may have had an impact as the Tigers broke their all time inside 50 record (75 previous 71) and I think the game being so open was a part of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton's defence stood up pretty well considering the onslaught of inside 50s. I'd hate to see what we would have conceded with inside 50 numbers like that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    It's a small sample size but it seems to be doing what it was designed for
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I don't mind it opens up the corridor for the 45, but the Petrevski-Seton one where he was peeling off I didn't like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I don't mind it opens up the corridor for the 45, but the Petrevski-Seton one where he was peeling off I didn't like.
    It would surely be easier for the umpires and more logical to just prohibit east-west movement and not moving backwards, away from the mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It would surely be easier for the umpires and more logical to just prohibit east-west movement and not moving backwards, away from the mark.
    It is utter stupidity that you can't move backwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Yes I think so too.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, another Richmond win where Dusty really turned it for them. Listening to radio this morning, they bemoaned how Carlton had five months to figure out how to slow Dusty and didn't.

Made me think - who would we play on him (or even Cripps, Dangerfield and the ilk). It would have been a role made for Moz, but is it now Bailey Williams? Easton Wood? Even Zaine? What's our plan for the superstar big-bodied resting mids who get isolated one on one?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Again, another Richmond win where Dusty really turned it for them. Listening to radio this morning, they bemoaned how Carlton had five months to figure out how to slow Dusty and didn't.

Made me think - who would we play on him (or even Cripps, Dangerfield and the ilk). It would have been a role made for Moz, but is it now Bailey Williams? Easton Wood? Even Zaine? What's our plan for the superstar big-bodied resting mids who get isolated one on one?
    You don't stop Jordan. You let him score fifty and you stop Pippen.

I mean, that didn't work out too well either, but some things are inevitable.
    "It's over. It's all over."