Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  149
Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Collingwood R1 2021

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Hunter was awful
    I must have been watching a different game. Yes he made a couple of errors but 31 disposals at 77.4% efficiency and a real link up man was pretty good to me.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Big shout out to Bruce with 11 marks. Has come back fitter and more mobile.
    One stain on his night was when he was busy appealing to the umpire for a free as a Collingwood player watzed around him for a kick inside 50.

Very annoying aspect of an otherwise encouraging performance

4. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I must have been watching a different game. Yes he made a couple of errors but 31 disposals at 77.4% efficiency and a real link up man was pretty good to me.
    Yeah I thought that he was pretty good too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Collingwood kicked 7 goals. How many less goals would it need to be to get a positive comment?
    You need context to that. Collingwood fluffed many opportunities and we dominated the ball. You don’t see many teams absolutely dominate the stats like we did and only scrape through.

It’s all well and good after a win to ignore things, but some perspective is needed when this stuff costs us games against teams who put others away.

I’m happy with the win but there’s a lot to work on. I don’t consider our performance against the pies last year as the benchmark like some others on here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    Collectively our defence was excellent. Sure Collingwood lack significant firepower up forward but still the performance was excellent
    Yes I thought Keith, Williams, Gardner, Duryea and Daniel were excellent. It’s the overall setup that’s the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

There were plenty of fantastic individual performances.

Martin was a huge difference. I think our midfield dominance had a lot to do with getting first use. English was certainly better too and probably a lot of that has to do with Martin.

Bailey Williams was excellent.

Macrae and Bailey Smith were superb.

Keath and Gardner excellent.

Vandermeer had great run and intensity.

Caleb Daniel was so assured.

Bont was great until the last qtr.

Can’t really fault anyone. Treloar was quiet but that’s understandable. Hopefully it’s all behind him now and he can move on as a bulldog.

It’s our cohesion that’s an issue. That execution just isn’t there yet. We looked gassed at the end which surprised me. I thought the pies would slow first due to our mid depth. I look at our 22 and don’t see a weakness. Yeah we don’t have natural forwards but there’s enough there to work with. So we’ve just got to put it all together.

9. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    You need context to that. Collingwood fluffed many opportunities and we dominated the ball. You don’t see many teams absolutely dominate the stats like we did and only scrape through.

It’s all well and good after a win to ignore things, but some perspective is needed when this stuff costs us games against teams who put others away.

I’m happy with the win but there’s a lot to work on. I don’t consider our performance against the pies last year as the benchmark like some others on here.
    I'm glad that Bevo seems to think the same.

11. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a hunter fan but he was very ordinary tonight constantly putting team mates under pressure his disposal was as bad as it gets. Not sure how he got 77.4% efficiency.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I'm a hunter fan but he was very ordinary tonight constantly putting team mates under pressure his disposal was as bad as it gets. Not sure how he got 77.4% efficiency.
    Because the stat in itself isn't great without context, and as you say, even though he didn't butcher the footy his decision making probably put folks under pressure more than we'd like and some more obvious options than the ones he took were ignored meaning things broke down a bit on occasion as he got the ball.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pies are in for a long year if that is the level of intensity and skill they bring to games. They sat back on contests, fumbled the ball, dropped uncontested marks - it was a really bizarre performance. Hoskin-Elliott was pathetic, and Noble made some terrible decisions.

I remain concerned that our over-possessive slow-forward-entry game plan will not stack up against the good sides, and our high press will be exploited against the same sides. It only takes four or five failures of the press to gift the opposition four or five easy goals.

Every member of our team had a net positive contribution to the match. Mcneill struggled with the pace of it and was always rushing to get rid of the ball, but he will improve. Scott didn't do much but I don't mind that in a defender.

Naughton moving fast and bombing the ball long inside 50 to Wallis on a couple of occasions was frustrating, and even his kick to Bont in the last was a poor choice with options open in the pockets. Darcy Moore was fantastic for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Reflecting. Gee Pat Lipinski was very solid tonight. That's a baseline for him. If he can peg that most weeks, he'll deserve to play every game this season.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We belted them up tonight. Typically under Bevo, it doesn’t show on the scoreboard and we remained susceptible to a swing in momentum but scoreboard aside, that was pretty dominant. The game went the way we willed it.

Even contributions across the key mids, Baz the stand out, driving force. Nice to towel Grundy up for a change.

Williams, Dale, Lipinski and Gardner are the name I anticipate won’t get a huge run in the wash up, but all showed some really promising signs and will have an impact greater than the sum of their parts.

Really pleased with most of what I saw. It affirmed for me that the talent can carry us a fair way, that the system has some merit. The concerns I have are still there, we aren’t learning much new about this squad under Bevo yet, though the first 10 mins was a nice experience compared to recent R1 efforts.

19. Likes GVGjr, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very good win tonight. Just great to go back to the footy again. Been 19 months since I last saw the Dogs live same time for most of us. Went with my younger brother who is Pies fan - he sat at the Ponsford end and I sat in the Punt Road end.

Always room for improvement but nonetheless very solid performance from our team overall. Bailey Smith was excellent, Pat Lipinksi very good the last 2 games, Bailey Dale, Bailey Williams and Vandermeer good performances and I thought Alex Keath fought very well. Macrae very consistent as usual.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Our much maligned defence really put in some great efforts in the last quarter. We sat near the cheer squad ( the Liam Picken end) and saw some really gritty efforts. Duryea was especially good.

I’m really encouraged by the win. We often lacked finesse, but that is more fixable than lack of effort. The stat about how many smothers we did was terrific...I always think it’s a sign of desperation and commitment.

In the first few minutes our forwards looked so dynamic, but soon the same problem of last year reared it’s ugly head. Again, Bruce and Naughton flew against each other constantly. Bruce’s efforts were really strong and I saw multiple repeat efforts and chases, which were great. But those misses, from our main natural forward..@#$*** And whatever has happened to Bont, the man for the clutch goal early in his career, but now I turn away in dread when he has a routine set shot.

Wasn’t it great to be there. It was a balmy still evening. The grand old ground looked a picture. We never lost the lead once. We’re second on the ladder could have been top if we’d made the most of our dominance. We can improve, and from what I saw tonight, I’m much more confident we will.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

22. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Prince Imperial, GVGjr, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Reflecting. Gee Pat Lipinski was very solid tonight. That's a baseline for him. If he can peg that most weeks, he'll deserve to play every game this season.
    Yep I liked his game.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"