Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  149
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Collingwood R1 2021

A few photos I took from my seat at the G pre game:

"Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

2. Likes The bulldog tragician, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was pretty impressed with Dale in defence. Didn't shirk a contest, was strong in the air and used it pretty well. That experiment is working so far.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes merantau, Sedat, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Macrae - 35 disposals
    Smith - 35
    Hunter - 31
    Dunkley - 30
    Bont - 29
    Libba - 28
    Daniel - 27
    Williams - 27
    Lipinski - 26

Yet we only scored 69 points.

Our mid-forward connection is just so, so bad. What's the answer?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Encouraging win, we're not a perfect side and we have a lot to work on but that was a good win.

Treloar will be better for the run, Martin was huge and the roll on effect of his inclusion can't be understated. This is why many of us were bemoaning our ruck setup for the last 2 years.

Special mentions to Duryea, Gardner and Keath. I've been vocal about our defenders not being able to defend, but these 3 were great in the second half. I'm a big Duryea fan - we simply look better with him in the side every time he plays. He's got a hard edge, reads the play, has leadership and experience and uses it well. We just need him to stay fit. Gardner had his best game/half for the club, some really positive movements and spoils and Keaths desperation and assertive defending was important.

Smith was brilliant, he's some player. Thought Bruce/Naughton actually played MUCH better together, but I want more from Aaron.

McNeil got to some OK spots but made some howlers, I wasn't pro his inclusion tonight and I still believe he needs to play VFL. We have better options but he shows signs.

Wallis concerns me. He plays like a key forward but we sometimes play with 3 (Bruce, Naughton, English/Martin) and always with 2. I think his spot could be in jeopardy if Cavarra or Hannan find form, we need their type which is probably why we're playing McNeil.

Vanders had some great defensive efforts but did fade out of the game.

The connection between mids/forwards continues to be an issue but I suspect it's part personnel (inability to lock the ball in) and part decision making/execution (we can over handball, none of our mids are exceptional by foot).

Bring on R2.
    W00F!

7. Likes soupman, GVGjr, kruder, DOG GOD, Sedat, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Because the stat in itself isn't great without context, and as you say, even though he didn't butcher the footy his decision making probably put folks under pressure more than we'd like and some more obvious options than the ones he took were ignored meaning things broke down a bit on occasion as he got the ball.
    He has a very strange preference for the 20-30 meter handball over a kick even when on his preferred side. Means the receiver doesn't have the option to take the mark if under pressure and sometimes creates more problems than there really should be (I assume because he doesn't trust his kicking to hit the target as reliably?)

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll whack the replay on today but despite our forward connection issues, my feeling at the game is this wasn’t a ‘millionaire’ performance. The mids rolled up their sleeves and provided good defensive pressure when required. Probably the most positive aspect for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, how nice is it to not stress over every ruck contest? I know the stats say Grundy won the hit outs easily but his influence was minimal. Stef Martin is a beast and just shows how ridiculous our approach to the ruck has been the past few years.

11. Likes kruder, Sedat, 1eyedog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I must have been watching a different game. Yes he made a couple of errors but 31 disposals at 77.4% efficiency and a real link up man was pretty good to me.
    So basically 1 in 4 possessions was a turnover.

He's a bit like McRae- an accumulator but less frustrating. Neither are really damaging for the possessions they accumulate. Its why you'll hear it said "he goes about their business quietly". The opposite of Bont or even Bailey Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Macrae - 35 disposals
    Smith - 35
    Hunter - 31
    Dunkley - 30
    Bont - 29
    Libba - 28
    Daniel - 27
    Williams - 27
    Lipinski - 26

Yet we only scored 69 points.

Our mid-forward connection is just so, so bad. What's the answer?
    I don't "have it in" for Macrae or Hunter so I'll get that out of the way from the start. What Macrae does ie accumulate possessions he does well. But he'd to be one of the least effective high possession-getters going around. Add Hunter who is just a frustrating version of MacRae, and that goes a long way explains why there is so little net result for some much possession.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The forward line is the main issue. Both it’s functioning and our delivery/connection to it. It’s what puts our defensive system under pressure when we see the over the back goals (I’m still unsure why our defenders are SO out of position when this does occur however. I mean surely you don’t leave 2-3 guys all by themselves even if we have the pill up forward).

The inability to hit targets, kick to the right spots, go up for the right contests and be in the right position for the drop of the ball are all culprits for our poor I50 conversion and also the turnover goals we concede. Our forward pressure was much better last night but there were still times when we didn’t chase their defenders when they were on the goal line. I agree with others that Wallis’ position is under threat if one of Cavarra, Hannan or Weightman press for selection. We just can’t carry too many slow, immobile forwards. Whilst McNeil didn’t have a great game, I can at least see how his skill set benefits our forward line better than Wallis’. Wallis needs space to be effective. We’re the worst team for that.

16. Likes GVGjr, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    I don't "have it in" for Macrae or Hunter so I'll get that out of the way from the start. What Macrae does ie accumulate possessions he does well. But he'd to be one of the least effective high possession-getters going around. Add Hunter who is just a frustrating version of MacRae, and that goes a long way explains why there is so little net result for some much possession.
    Most high possession getters are not typically damaging with their disposal. The question is how many can you have in a team? Can we carry all of Macrae, Hunter and Dunkley? I thought Macrae and Dunkley were outstanding last night. Hunter picked it up later on. It’s so hard to think about dropping any of them but you’re right, the poor disposal is a problem for our forward 50 conversion.

19 extra inside 50s for 1 extra scoring shot is not great no matter how you look at it.

Post Thanks / Like

On another note, the early rounds are typically high scoring right? Well not so far. I’d hate to see what scores we’ll see later on this year if 122 total points is what we get in perfect conditions in round 1. This interchange cap is ridiculously short sighted. Even if the AFL were right (and they’re not) and it opened up the game, all we’re gonna see are players slowly running to get the ball and then try shut the play down. Not the fast, open play we all want to see. That only happens when players aren’t buggered. How much better was the first half of each quarter last night compared to the second?

Post Thanks / Like

With our forward setup did we get the positions wrong as I think Naughts was CHF and Bruce at FF.
    Maybe the players would better suited with Aaron deep and Josh playing higher to reduce the chance of them getting to the same contest.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    With our forward setup did we get the positions wrong as I think Naughts was CHF and Bruce at FF.
    Maybe the players would better suited with Aaron deep and Josh playing higher to reduce the chance of them getting to the same contest.
    I can think of three kicks well inside 50 that should've be certain goals but weren't, and there are possibly more I can't remember. The opportunities for all the haphazard fwd 50 entry were IMO there, but they have be taken, and if they were, this could have been a comfortable 6 or 7 goal win. Is that a forward set up issue or an issue with the individuals themselves not finishing off with a straight kick?

Post Thanks / Like

The slowness of our fwd line is a concern for mine. Bruce/Naughton/Wallis are pretty much immobile when the ball hits the ground. Too many times the Collingwood defenders were able to generate run from the goal line. It’s just not good enough. What we would do for a Cameron/Ryan type.

I still feel a lot of work still needs to be done in our fwd set up. What that is exactly I’m not that sure.
    I will never see #16 the same!!