Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  133
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Brisbane Lions R4 2021

It was the type of win that builds belief and team spirit. The players cracked in hard throughout the match. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't easy but in the end we showed more resolve to do the hard things than them.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

It’s obvious that we are playing a more team orientated module than previous years. The way our mids are working and the work that the 3 talls are doing both in the air and on the ground just shows that if you are willing to play like a TEAM, you will reap the rewards. A lot of work still to be done, but you certainly can’t take anything away from the efforts of the players at this point.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

3. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spent the afternoon watching the match from the Railway Hotel in Yarraville. Great hard fought win. The Lions certainly were on our heels. Tim English was great. 4-0 and on top of the ladder what a start to the year. Will be back at Marvel next Saturday when we take on Gold Coast.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

5. Likes Happy Days, EasternWest, GVGjr, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Spent the afternoon watching the match from the Railway Hotel in Yarraville. Great hard fought win. The Lions certainly were on our heels. Tim English was great. 4-0 and on top of the ladder what a start to the year. Will be back at Marvel next Saturday when we take on Gold Coast.
    And the parma?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be interesting to see what I think after having watched the replay, though at the ground (from the Old Scoreboard end) it seemed both sides set the ground up really well defencively and that we were just a bit better more often at breaking that down than what they were.

Naughton is unbelievable when you watch him at the same level as the play which I pretty much did, and Timmy's finishing was good too. He's always had ability to play forward, and his task in doing so is made a lot easier when we're running all of Naughton, Bruce and Martin through the forward line in addition to him, very difficult for defencive systems to adjust.

The midfield is humming along nicely, Treloar adds strength in close as well as dash and is a good point of difference from the other guys playing inside. We're now at a point that if everyone in there shows up with a good attitude there's too much quality for us to be dominated. Sure there's always a lapse here and there like there was today, but as long as we recognise those moments and get back on track quickly then it's all good.

Good to see Lew Young play well, though he needs to be supported so he doesn't have to kick as much. We had a lot of the ball in our forward half in the last quarter and the kick to kick stuff between them and us was a bit frustrating, but it chewed up time and we notched up a good win.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

8. Likes Testekill, macca, merantau, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    And the parma?
    Pretty decent. The chips were on the side not under. I finished it off very well
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

10. Likes Happy Days, Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Pretty decent. The chips were on the side not under. I finished it off very well
    Nice.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The conditions were tough, it often wasn’t pretty, but we never looked like losing. I was so impressed with English today. Not a day that should have suited him, but he did very well. Stef Martin’s arrival has been perfectly timed to help Tim become the player we hoped for.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Caleb Daniel’s game, I have never seemed him so quiet/ineffectual. It was very difficult to know what was going on at the ground. Not sure if he was tagged?

You need to see the work rate of Naughton at the game to appreciate all he does, very impressive.

I’m still struggling to see what McNeil and Scott bring and why Lipinski is marked so hard. It was great to see Lewy Young play so well. I hope he is given the same patience and latitude that Gardner has been of recent times. Alex Keith’s game was also very good.

I have to mention the debacle that is Mars Stadium. Lengthy queues in freezing conditions are ridiculous. The entrances are like a suburban ground, we were among many who missed the start. The facilities (including a lack of toilets) aren’t adequate I’m afraid. It really is frustrating and would turn many off the whole experience.

Anyway: apart from that grumpiness, a solid hardworking performance today, so different from last week and in lots of ways more satisfying as these are the “get your hands dirty” games good teams simply have to win.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

14. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes ratsmac, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good vibe the Railway. A good number of Dogs fans with their scarfs on.

16. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    The conditions were tough, it often wasn’t pretty, but we never looked like losing. I was so impressed with English today. Not a day that should have suited him, but he did very well. Stef Martin’s arrival has been perfectly timed to help Tim become the player we hoped for.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Caleb Daniel’s game, I have never seemed him so quiet/ineffectual. It was very difficult to know what was going on at the ground. Not sure if he was tagged?

You need to see the work rate of Naughton at the game to appreciate all he does, very impressive.

I’m still struggling to see what McNeil and Scott bring and why Lipinski is marked so hard. It was great to see Lewy Young play so well. I hope he is given the same patience and latitude that Gardner has been of recent times. Alex Keith’s game was also very good.

I have to mention the debacle that is Mars Stadium. Lengthy queues in freezing conditions are ridiculous. The entrances are like a suburban ground, we were among many who missed the start. The facilities (including a lack of toilets) aren’t adequate I’m afraid. It really is frustrating and would turn many off the whole experience.

Anyway: apart from that grumpiness, a solid hardworking performance today, so different from last week and in lots of ways more satisfying as these are the “get your hands dirty” games good teams simply have to win.
    I reckon Daniel wasn't right given he started two of the quarters on the bench and just never seemed in the groove. Was it Berry who marked him?

I also think he might come under scrutiny for that tackle.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

18. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was fully not the game for Daniel. There were almost no possession chains between the arcs which is where he’s the best in the league. No concern whatsoever.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

20. Likes Testekill, jeemak, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That was fully not the game for Daniel. There were almost no possession chains between the arcs which is where he’s the best in the league. No concern whatsoever.
    Good point. It was effectively kick long down the line and try to squeeze goals through positional dominance. Teams are also clearly putting more time into him than ever before so he needs to work through it. It does help players like Williams and Dale get off the chain though, you can't clamp them all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Good point. It was effectively kick long down the line and try to squeeze goals through positional dominance. Teams are also clearly putting more time into him than ever before so he needs to work through it. It does help players like Williams and Dale get off the chain though, you can't clamp them all.
    This is what I'm liking about our team balance right now. Every line has a player the opposition need to consider focussing on.
    I'm sure Brisbane thought if we curtail Daniel, we can negate their ability to transition quickly from defense. So they lock him down, but the Bailey's then takeover Daniel's role, and do it effectively.
    Our midfield is just a headache right now for opposition coaches, especially with their defensive work. Good luck trying to make them all ineffective.
    And our forward line. Whilst English is in this vein of form, again good luck marking he, Bruce and Naughton out of the game.
    And for all McNeal and Scott's quiet return, I still reckon Bevo is right to back them in. Their opponents aren't hurting them, and they're certainly working their butts off and putting their bodies on the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    And for all McNeal and Scott's quiet return, I still reckon Bevo is right to back them in. Their opponents aren't hurting them, and they're certainly working their butts off and putting their bodies on the line.
    They're obviously doing something right because in his presser, Bevo named them both (completely unprompted mind you) as showing good signs. That or he's aware that fans are questioning their selection and he likes to troll us all

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny that English was so much more dangerous when we were going into the wind and he was able to move to the drop of the ball.

25. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post