Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  133
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Brisbane Lions R4 2021

I'm gonna go out on a limb here (sarcasm), and suggest we're still not gonna get much media love this week.

Reckon Saints will get the adulation.
    That's good.
    We've achieved nothing yet, and we won't til this group ticks some more redemption boxes.

I'm not downplaying the 4-0 start to the year, nor the improvements we appear to have made. But we've just got to keep doing what we've been doing; winning games against the teams we should beat, avoiding the lapses we've shown in previous years, and then stepping it up another notch when we hit a real contender.
    Presuming, and its still a big presumption, that we win the next 2 against Gold Coast and GWS, Rnd 7 against Richmond is where we will start to earn real respect, more broadly amongst the footy public and media.
    We've not dealt well with expectation post 2016. I am encouraged by what I've seen from this group in 2021 thus far to begin to think this might change.
    Go Dogs!

2. Likes merantau, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lewy Young played a good game today. He's always had some tantalising traits. Given his lack of selection for a while, that's probably a key reason why we have kept him.
    I'm glad to see posters have thus far showed restraint in falling for the old confirmation bias by not saying ' see we should have played him more, he would've improved our performances in defense!

Bevo praised him for grabbing this opportunity with both hands toda, and singled him out for having stood out amongst the potential candidates to replace Gardner, by weight of his performances this last month.

Seems clear to me that the Match Committee have a clear idea on what their criteria is for promotion, and they've stuck firm on it, in this case.

That Lewy didn't play last year says to me he wasn't close to hitting the KPIs the match committee were looking for. Great to see him buckle down and put himself in the frame for selection this year.

I really hope this means Lewy has figured out what he needs to do. At his best he's got what it takes at this level. He just needs to now commit to it and he will be a very good AFL level player for some time.
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 11-04-2021 at 12:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean Brad Johnson wets himself whenever the Dogs play: he has to he's got Bulldog DNA.
    But Jordan Lewis being impressed by a 'mature performance by the Dogs is encouraging that we are growing as a team to be reckoned with innm 2021.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    They're obviously doing something right because in his presser, Bevo named them both (completely unprompted mind you) as showing good signs. That or he's aware that fans are questioning their selection and he likes to troll us all
    there are KPIs which fans do not know about. Its the secret sauce how MC rate players and they know where they need to get to get into the team and perform. McNeil and scott must be hitting them. I like their intensity and contest. Yeah their kicking is iffy, but I look with optimism that its something they will improve on.

Today's games was really scrappy and very frustrating to watch when we kept fumbling the ball inside forward 50. It seemed conditions were difficult and the ground may not have been best place to hold your feet.

I really noticed our ferocity in tackling and getting numbers to the ball. Still the Lions were within 2 goals with 2 mins left means there is no gap for complacency and resting . When Daniher kicked that miracle goal from the boundary, I thought the Lions would over run us. But our stronger bodies and fittness kept them out.

6. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    It's funny that English was so much more dangerous when we were going into the wind and he was able to move to the drop of the ball.
    Naughton was excellent in the first, and the delivery to Bruce was completely rancid. The latter could have positioned himself a bit better but being pretty much behind those goals and seeing the ball coming in from ground level nothing clean really came his way.

English however got himself into good positions as the "next best" option a couple of times and the delivery from Jacko to him was outstanding.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Watched the replay, as at the ground I found it difficult to see at times. Have a different perspective as a result.

At the game my votes went to English, Macrae and Young. After watching the replay it’s Treloar, English and Dunkley. I had Keath just outside in both instances.

Thought we looked very organised and through pretty staunch defensive efforts, held sway for the majority of the game. The game was played on our terms and the way the game looked was because that’s how we set it up to look. Brisbane are good enough to have given us grief in the middle at times but we just had too much for them them to handle all at once.

Tall forwards, a triple threat, blokes were marking everything deep inside 50 at one point. Their work up the line for the long option, outlet kick was superb. English got the chocolates, Naughton could have had a bag and Bruce backed up last week with a really solid, physical game.

Lions came back a bit when our forwards tired. We couldn’t keep it in very well as the game wound down. But we’d done the damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I reckon Daniel wasn't right given he started two of the quarters on the bench and just never seemed in the groove. Was it Berry who marked him?

I also think he might come under scrutiny for that tackle.
    He’s been a little askew, I figured it was opposition tagging him. Perhaps he’s a little sore given the change in time on ground and they are managing him a bit differently?

That tackle looked weird to me. Real time, live, it was a fantastic defensive effort. On the replay it was also that, but the movement of the tackled player was quite surreal. Caleb didn’t seem to do much to generate the front flip, the angle it happened at didn’t make sense to me. He’s either incredibly powerful or the opponent has some good gymnastics under his belt. Can see why a free was given, but would be disappointed if it generated further punishment.

10. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Pretty decent. The chips were on the side not under. I finished it off very well
    Better post that review on Trip Advisor too.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    It's funny that English was so much more dangerous when we were going into the wind and he was able to move to the drop of the ball.
    That hadn't occured to me and you're right. It was a very impressive performance by him.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    He’s been a little askew, I figured it was opposition tagging him. Perhaps he’s a little sore given the change in time on ground and they are managing him a bit differently?

That tackle looked weird to me. Real time, live, it was a fantastic defensive effort. On the replay it was also that, but the movement of the tackled player was quite surreal. Caleb didn’t seem to do much to generate the front flip, the angle it happened at didn’t make sense to me. He’s either incredibly powerful or the opponent has some good gymnastics under his belt. Can see why a free was given, but would be disappointed if it generated further punishment.
    Yeah I just watched it as I was going through the first quarter replay and it didn't seem like Caleb did anything to flip him over like he flipped over. He will still get sighted, though I think it won't go anywhere.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

For those at the ground did the Lions put some time into 'The Bont' becaus eon the box he didn't seem as involve as usual.

I believe also there were some concerns about who would replace Gardner in the amount of time he spends on the ground.
    I just saw that Young had 97% so for not playing at the level for a long time he did well to run it out with high minutes.

I also while we're pointing the finger at Scott and McNeil take a look at JJ's performance and for a senior player he wasn't much better. For a running player only 192 metres gained with 78% game time so there are opportunities for others if they put in when the VFL starts.
    It will be interesting if Bevo does have a different mind set if a player isn't performing as well as they should.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    For those at the ground did the Lions put some time into 'The Bont' becaus eon the box he didn't seem as involve as usual.
    I think so. There was a lot of bodies around him at the stoppages but it didn’t look like an aggressive tag.

He might be just taking a back seat in the rotations for a bit? Dunks and Treloar took centre stage. The other thing I noticed is he was back to grabbing at his hip again, which in recent history has coincided with a few quiet patches while he freshens up before some of his best footy re-emerges.

16. Thanks Hotdog60 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On Daniel, don’t mind that he had a quieter day and Dale seemed to do most of the heavy lifting with rebounding. We’ve got to keep opposition sides guessing and have options when the tag comes. We’re 10 toes deep now, a great problem to have with Crozier and Richards coming back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here (sarcasm), and suggest we're still not gonna get much media love this week.

Reckon Saints will get the adulation.
    That's good.
    We've achieved nothing yet, and we won't til this group ticks some more redemption boxes.

I'm not downplaying the 4-0 start to the year, nor the improvements we appear to have made. But we've just got to keep doing what we've been doing; winning games against the teams we should beat, avoiding the lapses we've shown in previous years, and then stepping it up another notch when we hit a real contender.
    Presuming, and its still a big presumption, that we win the next 2 against Gold Coast and GWS, Rnd 7 against Richmond is where we will start to earn real respect, more broadly amongst the footy public and media.
    We've not dealt well with expectation post 2016. I am encouraged by what I've seen from this group in 2021 thus far to begin to think this might change.
    Go Dogs!
    Plaudits will come if we knock off Richmond and Port. The media will keep the lid on if we drop one of those games and write us off as pretenders if we drop both. We could be 7-2 pretenders if we drop both - which puts us in a good spot for top 4 still, however we need to win at least one if not both of those to put everyone on notice we are the real deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Plaudits will come if we knock off Richmond and Port. The media will keep the lid on if we drop one of those games and write us off as pretenders if we drop both. We could be 7-2 pretenders if we drop both - which puts us in a good spot for top 4 still, however we need to win at least one if not both of those to put everyone on notice we are the real deal.
    As it stands our run from Rd 7-15 looks pretty damn tricky so if we survive that period with a positive W/L ratio I’m sure we’ll be getting talked up.... until then we just keep banking the wins.