Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  100
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Gold Coast Suns R5 2021

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    That's all fair enough, the organisation focus does seem to be on attracting new members rather than accomodating the die hards.

What did Melbourne United do for you in Bendigo?
    They left gifts on every seat, a clapper and a poster. There were people there greeting you when you came in and offering you freebies which we declined much to my sons disgust but I didn't want more clutter in the house. LOL. They made you feel wanted while you were there. I really can't comment on what WB game day interaction is like as I have not been there yet but I hope we are making every effort to make the people coming each week feel like they are wanted. I've been to a couple of NBL games in Melbourne and it's even more welcoming than what it was in Bendigo, I plan on becoming a member there next season so small gestures go a long way with me, going the other way is the opposite and for me personally that kind of hurts.

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the game day experience, I wonder if people also got used to sitting at home last season and watching the games and unless all the planets align it's now seen as a more than viable option.

Last week up at Ballarat it took a long time for many supporters to get into the venue
    It very clear that many people also don't like the seating options and game day experience
    On top of all that, 5 rounds in and some members haven't received their memberships

We have always been a resilient supporter base but perhaps until these issues are resolved attendances won't be where they otherwise should be. And remember this is after a fast start. What might the numbers be if we were struggling with 2 wins and 3 losses?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The ticketing situation is definitely an issue. The family group I go to the football with is greater than six. That we can't purchase tickets to all sit together is an issue. I'm sure others are in a similar situation. Also, it is not difficult to navigate the ticketing process for those who are digital natives, but my father would really struggle with it if we were not organising the tickets for him. If he was on his own in regards to tickets, he would probably choose just to sit at home.

I have been to four of the first five games (missed the NMFC game as we went away for Easter) and it has been so good to be back at the footy. I knew I missed the ritual of game day, watching the game in person and the overall atmosphere last year but I didn't realise how much until we have had the chance to go back this year. So many reasons, but one big reason ... it brings my wider family together each week to share in our joint passion of supporting the Western Bulldogs.

5. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    They left gifts on every seat, a clapper and a poster. There were people there greeting you when you came in and offering you freebies which we declined much to my sons disgust but I didn't want more clutter in the house. LOL. They made you feel wanted while you were there. I really can't comment on what WB game day interaction is like as I have not been there yet but I hope we are making every effort to make the people coming each week feel like they are wanted. I've been to a couple of NBL games in Melbourne and it's even more welcoming than what it was in Bendigo, I plan on becoming a member there next season so small gestures go a long way with me, going the other way is the opposite and for me personally that kind of hurts.
    I imagine that is a lot easier to do at a regional basketball game, to be fair.

I'm not sure how the club can replicate that sort of intimate experience on a larger scale with 10s of thousands of fans at a huge football stadium. A token gift sounds manageable though, something to say thanks for sticking fat in 2020. I imagine every member would appreciate that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say I like the "fan experience" nor do I hate it. It's just something they do at half time nowadays. My son has done some filming at the basketball of some Australian up and come artists. They sing I think 2 songs but it's effective and fun and the younger generation look to love it. Dunno if it would work at AFEL games but it couldn't be worse.

What would you guys like to see at half time? Genuine question. Complete silence? Hyde St Band? Crusty demons? Half time raffle? Kiss cam and oblivious cam is the sort of thing that works in American sports (I think) and we always seem to copy them for some reason. I get a giggle out of it now and then.

I've never noticed how l loud everyone is saying it is either but 30 years in construction will do that to one's ears.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Regarding the game day experience, I wonder if people also got used to sitting at home last season and watching the games and unless all the planets align it's now seen as a more than viable option.

Last week up at Ballarat it took a long time for many supporters to get into the venue
    It very clear that many people also don't like the seating options and game day experience
    On top of all that, 5 rounds in and some members haven't received their memberships

We have always been a resilient supporter base but perhaps until these issues are resolved attendances won't be where they otherwise should be. And remember this is after a fast start. What might the numbers be if we were struggling with 2 wins and 3 losses?
    I’m really puzzled by the ticketing situation. I’m a silver social club member yet within a couple of hours of tickets becoming available I can only get spots in the nosebleed section for a match that is so poorly attended. Each week my group has been pressed up against another family group ie no space between us so what’s the COVID point? In the collingwood match for example there were four of us sitting right next to a single ticket holder.

You can’t move from section to section meaning there are long queues where we are all standing together for long periods of time. Ballarat was particularly ridiculous. A staff member eventually moved along the line giving a cursory look in bags and then told us: just tell them your bag has already been searched. It just all seems very amateur.

I don’t understand the obsession with filling every second with noise. It actually dilutes the real and best noises of the match, such as the roar when the players come out. When we played West Coast the din in the last quarter as we came back, and the sight of red white and blue sections rising in a great big wave is the only “ match day experience” that really matters because it’s authentic and real.

PS I also abhor violence but that Gold Coast drummer....
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    How did people view Young's game? Was at a wedding last night didn't get to see it, have my fingers crossed he can cement himself its probably the area where we are most thin.
    I'm a massive Lew Young fan I just think he provides a point of different in the key defender role in our back half. He's over 195cm and can (and will at every opportunity) intercept. Keathy is a great player but he's transitioned from an interceptor to a defend-first key style of player for the benefit of the team. We have other interceptors (Wood once upon a time), Crozier et al. but these guys are under-sized. Lewy Young provides a point of difference on Keath and Gardner's defend-first policy with his ability to play on mobile bigs as well as having the confidence to go for his marks. Talls who can mark with confidence in the back half are rare breeds and worth their weight in gold and it's why I love him so much, and why others see so much potential in him.

Tbh he was ordinary yesterday, was found out of position too often for my liking but to be fair GC did not go long into F50 at all so their i50s yesterday did not play to his strengths. Lewy deserves the same opportunity to impress afforded to others over the past 18 months. He needs to be played at least until the point that Gardner is fit (a block of 4-5 weeks). Then we make an assessment who fits the team structure better.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Not sure. For me personally it's the treatment of members post COVID. We went through harder times than this and always seem to reward our members even if it was something small. This year after donating close to 3k in a season I knew I couldn't attend I got a sticker 3 months late. I don't know, I'd like to go and watch footy again but driving back and forth through traffic, finding and paying for a park, buying food etc seems too much considering the club only thinks I'm worth 1 lousy sticker. I got more from Melbourne United in 1 game when I rocked up and watches them play here in Bendigo. Lots will disagree but I find it pretty sad and it's put me off a lot.

The ticketing can just go and get stuffed as well. I understand I can't have my own seat, that's fine. I'm not real keen on paying more for an inferior seat though. The booking fee is an absolute rort!
    Are you a Gold Member with seats?

Gold members received a discount of $120 but to book a seat you have to add on $10 to book level 2?

Also, away games are free.

Not sure what else the club could do?

PS; I haven't checked the other levels of membership and what they received.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Are you a Gold Member with seats?

Gold members received a discount of $120 but to book a seat you have to add on $10 to book level 2?

Also, away games are free.

Not sure what else the club could do?

PS; I haven't checked the other levels of membership and what they received.
    Yes that's right, memberships were cheaper initially then you paid more as you go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yes that's right, memberships were cheaper initially then you paid more as you go.
    If you don't go you don't pay the extra.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'd like Dinner with the Bont followed by reds at Bevo's.
    And Easton Wood to tuck me in and read to me as I drift off to sleep.
    "It's over. It's all over."

14. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That was going to be a 140 point win until the AFL deep state conspiracy set in to stop us from becoming too powerful.

Naughton getting a goal overturned on ARC from a spike from the noise when he kicked it? Macrae getting a free against for shrugging a tackle? English getting done for working his man under the ball in the goalsquare?

Open your third eye people.

(We really let a good chance slip here to set up our percentage for the year)
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That was going to be a 140 point win until the AFL deep state conspiracy set in to stop us from becoming too powerful.

Naughton getting a goal overturned on ARC from a spike from the noise when he kicked it? Macrae getting a free against for shrugging a tackle? English getting done for working his man under the ball in the goalsquare?

Open your third eye people.

(We really let a good chance slip here to set up our percentage for the year)
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

What the hell was the 50 against Crozier for? There were so many weird calls.

19. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    What the hell was the 50 against Crozier for? There were so many weird calls.
    He dropped his shoulder into the players back late. It was soft, but there.