Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  100
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Gold Coast Suns R5 2021

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Libba really relished that Powerade shower for Sweety, didn’t he? Didn’t waste a drop.
    Ha true. We all know that guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    At the start of the game if you’d have given me a 10 goal win I’d have taken it and moved on.

The first half was very good, but we slipped a bit in intensity and execution after the main break and suffered from that. Sweet spending lots of time in the 3rd qtr meant we went small in the front half and we didn’t connect well and made some poor decisions and then got caught out on the counter, but we kicked 2.5 to 6.1 in the 3rd so things could’ve been quite different if the conversion rates were equalised. To the credit of GC they played some good footy in the 2nd half with precision (and risky) ball movement, but also had some luck with some lucky breaks. Would’ve been nice to kick straighter than 4.7 in the last, but as we know our goal kicking isn’t something we can rely on yet.

We’re still a work in progress, but banking wins & percentage has us in an extremely strong position as we work our way towards a tough stretch of games where we will we find out a fair bit more about this group.
    Yep, this pretty much sums it up for me.

I was really impressed with how the Suns kicked the ball in the third. Some of their linking up from half back to half forward was several centimetre perfect kicks in a row. And although we were a bit down for the quarter on intensity, we did still have as many scoring shots. Also agree with the comment that we are still a work in progress. Who would have though we'd be so ho-hum about a 10 goal win, and be sitting here 5-0 with an outrageous percentage.

Get the win v GWS this week. And 6-0 and ready to see where we are at vs the best in the business on a Friday night in round 7.

Post Thanks / Like

AFLCA votes :

10 Josh Dunkley (WB)

8 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)

5 Alex Keath (WB)

3 Adam Treloar (WB)

3 Jack Macrae (WB)

1 Jack Lukosius (GCFC)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yep, this pretty much sums it up for me.

I was really impressed with how the Suns kicked the ball in the third. Some of their linking up from half back to half forward was several centimetre perfect kicks in a row. And although we were a bit down for the quarter on intensity, we did still have as many scoring shots. Also agree with the comment that we are still a work in progress. Who would have though we'd be so ho-hum about a 10 goal win, and be sitting here 5-0 with an outrageous percentage.

Get the win v GWS this week. And 6-0 and ready to see where we are at vs the best in the business on a Friday night in round 7.
    The Suns first goal of the game (late in the second qtr) originated from an absolutely beautiful kick deep in defence that hit a running player 50 metres away. I'm ok with conceding goals where the opposition has to play perfect footy to achieve it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Dale:

• 27 disposals at 92% efficiency (equal career-high)
    • Nine marks
    • Nine rebound 50s
    • Nine score involvements
    • 666 metres gained
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A 10 goal win against a team we have struggled with for probably 3 years even though they haven't been much chop. I'll take that any day!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Garry Loinchop again refusing to give us anything on On The Couch

I hope the Tigers rip the Demons to shreds and pull him down a peg.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

They will, most had the Demons 10 - 16 they've beat up some average sides so far. I'd be on the Tigers 40+.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    They will, most had the Demons 10 - 16 they've beat up some average sides so far. I'd be on the Tigers 40+.
    Does it really matter where the so called experts predict a team to come?

And the same could be said about us in regard to who we've played... all you can do is beat what is front of you and so far Melbourne have been pretty impressive, but like us the true tests are ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Does it really matter where the so called experts predict a team to come?

And the same could be said about us in regard to who we've played... all you can do is beat what is front of you and so far Melbourne have been pretty impressive, but like us the true tests are ahead.
    I've got cash on the 40+ so I'm calling my own bluff.

Post Thanks / Like

What were our deficiencies/ questions unanswered this week?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne have a good spine in a year where the Stand rule has helped talls

I'm not sure Gardiner gets back in for Lewis Young now
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What were our deficiencies/ questions unanswered this week?
    Robbo thought we were 'fun to watch'.. It was quite patronising.
    That's okay. I hope the club use the lack of belief from the media as fuel to keep the team focused on what's ahead.

Post Thanks / Like

Does it make you guys feel any better that Kane Cornes thinks we can win the flag?

CORNES NAMES THE FOUR TEAMS THAT CAN WIN THE FLAG AND THE ONE IN THE MIX

Kane Cornes has gone through what he has learned after five rounds of footy, suggesting the top eight is set bar one change.

Cornes also believes there are currently only four teams who can win the flag, on current form, with a fifth team in the mix if they get healthy.

2020 Preliminary Finalists Geelong and Brisbane are not among his contenders as it stands.

“My biggest thing is just that I’m not sure how many good teams there are. I’m not even sure if there’s a top eight,” Cornes told SEN SA Breakfast.

“I think there’s a top six. How many teams can genuinely win the premiership after Round 5? There’s probably four or five.

“The Western Bulldogs can no doubt win it, Melbourne with what we’re seeing can win it and they have enough good players and are playing a premiership style of football, they’ll be tested throughout the year.

“Port Adelaide can definitely win it, Richmond can win it and then maybe West Coast, but who knows about West Coast away from home with an ageing list and with their injuries they’ve got.
    And David King has plenty of praise for us:

HOW BULLDOGS BECAME COMPETITION’S HOTTEST TEAM WITH A “MAKESHIFT” FORWARD

The top-of-the-table Western Bulldogs continue to dazzle fans and pundits alike in what is their best start to a season in 75 years.

Luke Beveridge has his side humming – they’re the No.1 ranked team in defence and attack after five rounds and boast one of the deepest – if not the deepest – midfield brigade in the competition.

While tougher challenges lie ahead, the Bulldogs are the hottest ticket in town led by their captain Marcus Bontempelli who is in Brownlow Medal-winning form.

David King is intrigued by the make-up of the Bulldogs’ forward line and how Beveridge has been able to put all the pieces together.

“You’ve got to see the Dogs live. If you love your footy, go and watch the Dogs live. I don’t care who you barrack for,” King told SEN’s Whateley.

“I look forward of centre, in their forward 50 they’ve got centre half-backs: (Josh) Bruce and (Aaron) Naughton, they’re their prime targets. They’ve got a ruckman down there that’s the third target, (Tim) English.

“There’s no John Coleman or Tony Lockett down there, so they’ve got two centre half-backs and a ruckman, and then they’ve got all these smalls that are pre-season picks or rookie selections, Anthony Scott and Lachie McNeil, these guys just putting pressure on, and then there’s a whole host of others.

“(Ben) Cavarra, who was at pick 45, (Laitham) Vandermeer didn’t play on the weekend, but he’s a pick 40 or so, it’s a makeshift forward line. If you were writing down at the start of the year their forward six, there’s no way you would have written those six players down – they’re the No.1 attack in the competition.

“If they’re No.1 (forward) and No.1 (defence), then how good a coaching performance is that?

“They’re going to challenge the Tigers in two weeks, that’s most anticipated game for me for a long, long time, to see whether this can compete with the absolute best.”

The Dogs will look to make it six wins on the spin when they travel to Canberra to play GWS on Friday night.
    WHATELEY AND KING RANK THEIR TOP FOUR SEEDS AFTER ROUND 5

Gerard Whateley and David King have named their top four seeds in the AFL after Round 5.

These are the four teams they have the most confidence in going forward, coupled with what the teams have shown so far.

"We've both got five teams we think can win it (the flag)," King told SEN's Whateley.

See their seedings below:

King

1. Western Bulldogs

King praised the Bulldogs earlier on SEN’s Whateley.

2. Richmond

"It’s not a move backwards for the Tigers, it’s just that the Dogs are playing the best of anyone right now.

"In a fortnight’s time that form gets franked against the Tigers."

3. Port Adelaide

"They’re the great seduces, but I do think they’ve got such depth, spark and talent – wildcard talent – in that forward line."

4. Melbourne

"Because the captain (Max Gawn) is now endorsed as the man. In the crunch, I am your man.

"It just formats the structure of a football club when the captain kicks a goal from 50m out to give you a two-goal buffer."

Whateley

1. Richmond

"I just won’t hear of Richmond not being one.

"Because of that first hint of, ‘alright, let’s assess Richmond after two losses on the trot’ and they just destroyed St Kilda.

"It’s easy to overlook just how good Richmond were – their system is awesome and it was the ruthlessness."

2. Port Adelaide

"1 v 2 played each other last week in Round 4 on the Friday night.

"I’ve got Port at two."

3. Western Bulldogs

"It’s just exhilarating the way that they play."

4. West Coast

"I’m not unconditional on West Coast, but I love what they do at Optus (Stadium)."

16. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Easton went the Jackie Chan on entrance to the ground :