Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Beveridge interview

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/m...IwMTA1ODU0MAS2

There was a share button on the video so I guess it can go to non members too.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beveridge interview

Fairly reserved from Bevo. Doesn't seem particularly convinced by the 2 ruck setup and even suggested Hawks cut us open because of it.

Also seems like it'll be a while until we see Marra at the top level, with Bevo saying the kid's fitness levels are far from where they need to be.

He did mention Anthony Scott as a player who may put pressure on spots in the midfield, so there's that to get excited about!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Fairly reserved from Bevo. Doesn't seem particularly convinced by the 2 ruck setup and even suggested Hawks cut us open because of it.

Also seems like it'll be a while until we see Marra at the top level, with Bevo saying the kid's fitness levels are far from where they need to be.

He did mention Anthony Scott as a player who may put pressure on spots in the midfield, so there's that to get excited about!
    Did I watch the same game?

Martin in the ruck, and English as a dominant forward, was the best part, in the first half it blew the Hawks away.

Then the rest of the game plan blew up as it often did in recent years. The running slowed them down in the second half. Then the handball emphasis was disastrous - I’m sure I saw a chain of 7 lead to a turnover and goal.

Why did Dale spend so much time in defence when he had a couple of goals earlier? The goal supply dried up.

And why was an undermanned Hawks forward line able to take so many marks and have set shots? Sorry, I forgot that we don’t believe in tall key position defenders. But we got another midfielder?

5. Likes Dry Rot, soupman, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He actually said the ruck situation had been disconcerting from a coaching point of view. Essentially had to plan for being beaten.

English/ Martin - Ruck/ Forward

- Steph hopefully gives us peace of mind in there

- Hopefully takes pressure off Tim, frees his game/ mind up a little bit

- Whether we can sustain Martin, English, Bruce, Naughton and even Schache, there's more than one phase, we got opened up through some of those positions

- Time will tell what we can sustain, but he's a threat forward

I think from that he's not convinced by the overall talls set up, not just the ruck set up.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think from that he's not convinced by the overall talls set up, not just the ruck set up.
    I took it as Bevo thinking we were opened up by having a tall forward line and not putting enough pressure on Hawks defenders.

We really need some smaller tackling machines to help keep the ball in our forward line.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo on SEN this morning. Listen here

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I took it as Bevo thinking we were opened up by having a tall forward line and not putting enough pressure on Hawks defenders.

We really need some smaller tackling machines to help keep the ball in our forward line.
    I read it that way too.
    I think that bodes poorly for Schache and Dale. Perhaps positively for a bolter like Cavarra. Probably helps McNeill's case too
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Begs the question why Beveridge didn't push for a pressure, small and lively forward given this isn't anything new.

Bedendo looks talented, McNeil impressed .... but we have no small forwards of quality.
    W00F!

12. Likes DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

Which is due to playing 2 rucks and having English spend most of his time forward.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Which is due to playing 2 rucks and having English spend most of his time forward.
    That is the dilemma. How many rucks do you play, how many tall forwards?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Begs the question why Beveridge didn't push for a pressure, small and lively forward given this isn't anything new.

Bedendo looks talented, McNeil impressed .... but we have no small forwards of quality.
    True, we don't have a quality small, but we are certainly trying to bring in players through the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Teams need forwards who provide good defensive pressure. In our premiership finals run, we had Clay, Picko and I think Tory was probably the underrated in how good his defensive pressure was at his best. Zaine also was a big part of this at the time.

What do we have now? Naughton provides the best defensive pressure, Wally too (although without speed), maybe Laith. Jamarra looks like he will be elite at that in time too.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

He might have, or he might have faith in who we have in West and Cavarra etc. which seems unconvincing. Could be that when it came to the time to have it sorted there wasn't much there.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Does Vandermeer fit into the small forward category? I think the club has high hopes for Garcia who fits the mould so hopefully he has an injury free run..

Agree we are outliers in this area as pretty much all other good teams have multiple players who fit the atypical small forward position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Teams need forwards who provide good defensive pressure. In our premiership finals run, we had Clay, Picko and I think Tory was probably the underrated in how good his defensive pressure was at his best. Zaine also was a big part of this at the time.

What do we have now? Naughton provides the best defensive pressure, Wally too (although without speed), maybe Laith. Jamarra looks like he will be elite at that in time too.
    For me the greatest disappointment from that game was the foot skills, particularly going into the forward line. On many occasions it took a special effort from the forwards to get the ball.

This was also evident in general play, with 20m passes missing the target. As the game went on players started kicking backwards, almost into the opposition goal square, and handballing when a kick was a better option.

In the finals run in 2016 the emphasis was on kicking allowing fast movement and forwards to take marks. I was hoping to see a return to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Does Vandermeer fit into the small forward category? I think the club has high hopes for Garcia who fits the mould so hopefully he has an injury free run..

Agree we are outliers in this area as pretty much all other good teams have multiple players who fit the atypical small forward position.
    Reading between the lines we are trying to turn Laith into that out of necessity, because we simply have no other quality options. I love what he brings, but surely his best asset is working up the ground and using his pace to break the lines and cut through defensive set-ups. He doesn't strike me as a natural crumbing, pressure forward who kicks goals...

Garcia seems a long shot based on his injury history, but hopefully he can have a smoother run at it.

It's odd why we've neglected certain positions (small forward / ruck / KPD) for a period of time. Not surprisingly, they are large reasons why it's hard to see us challenge the best teams - though Martin should help the ruck situation.
    W00F!