Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Beveridge interview

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I wonder why Bevo felt the need to say that Dunkley position in our best 22 was not secure? I get Bevo is indicating his form isn't at the best and that was evident in the Hawks game but I also tend to think a comment like that might be more of a de-motivator than a motivator

Intriguing comment
    BULLDOGS CAPTAIN RESPONDS TO LUKE BEVERIDGE'S DUNKLEY COMMENTS

and

DUNKLEY "WORKED HARD" TO EARN BACK BULLDOG RESPECT AFTER TRADE REQUEST
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why Bevo felt the need to say that Dunkley position in our best 22 was not secure? I get Bevo is indicating his form isn't at the best and that was evident in the Hawks game but I also tend to think a comment like that might be more of a de-motivator than a motivator

Intriguing comment
    When you listen to it there wasn’t much in it as he kind of qualified the comments before and after but the headline reads harshly. I thought it was more around midfield minutes than selection as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    I think you are writing off Cody Weightman a bit too quickly. Our first pick in the 2019 draft. The acknowledged best small forward available at that pick. Has been at the club for 1 year. Debuted in his first year and has played three games in total. He hasn't proven anything yet, but most players haven't at the end of their first year at AFL level.

So one draft ago the club clearly pushed for a pressure, small and lively forward, using their first pick on the best one available. The year before they picked up Ben Cavarra, a mature age, pressure, small and lively forward, with pick 45 and chased hard after Chad Wingard without success. So I think your criticism is a bit sharp and the jury is still out on just how many talented small forwards we currently have on the list.
    I'm thinking TBB was talking about a small & lively defensive minded forward which for all of Weightman's strengths is one of his key traits.. which was pointed out by all ''draft experts & key indicators'' when drafted.

Cavarra is probably the type we need, but seems a bit off the pace and Wingard is a more of an attacking player too.

We do need some pace & pressure focus up forward which has been rightly pointed out by others.

5. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Intriguing comment
    Didnt have to be Einstein to realise what the headline was going to be today.

“Beveridge turns up heat on struggling dog”.... not sure how it helps tbh but maybe I’m missing some master plan here.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...03-p577hh.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

“Beveridge turns up heat on struggling dog”.... not sure how it helps tbh but maybe I’m missing some master plan here.

I actually don't think it's a bad thing, and having heard the full interview Bevo was just as much pointing out how strong the relationship between he and Dunks was.

We should want the scrutiny and the honest feedback, especially our mids. Competition for those roles are fierce, and if they're off their game, especially more in intent rather than execution then the acid should be coming onto them.

I'd be more concerned if he was out of form, and the coach didn't directly respond to or brushed away media queries about it. I think most people here were disappointed with Bevo in that regard last year in addressing Josh Bruce's form.

8. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, remember that Bevo was being interviewed by Tim Watson who on a daily basis even still talks down Josh Dunkley's relationships at the Dogs. The continued rubbish spread by the Essendon media which he leads suggesting that Dunks wanted to move for reasons other than the cash is wearing thin.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

10. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Also, remember that Bevo was being interviewed by Tim Watson who on a daily basis even still talks down Josh Dunkley's relationships at the Dogs. The continued rubbish spread by the Essendon media which he leads suggesting that Dunks wanted to move for reasons other than the cash is wearing thin.
    Bevo had to read the room and know any comments would be stretched to fit the narrative. He could have easily straight batted it and just said Dunks has settled back in and is set for a good year. He does that and any speculation would have been avoided. Now Dunks gets asked about it, Bont gets asked about it and it just drags on.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Bevo had to read the room and know any comments would be stretched to fit the narrative. He could have easily straight batted it and just said Dunks has settled back in and is set for a good year. He does that and any speculation would have been avoided. Now Dunks gets asked about it, Bont gets asked about it and it just drags on.
    Yes agree with this, he knew it was coming and had an answer prepared. Can you be out of form after a scratch match?

Post Thanks / Like

We will find out on Tuesday
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    He should have know that Watson would run that narrative so I'm surprised he gave the media the scope to create a story
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yes agree with this, he knew it was coming and had an answer prepared. Can you be out of form after a scratch match?
    Aah well...sometimes you have to lose a coupla soldiers so that everyone knows it is 'serious'. Leaving out fringe players does nothing - if a Dunks or JJ or someone of similar 'regard' was left out, well, that has the potential to really change behaviours.

If the MC are prepared to leave out anyone but a peripheral player I would be shocked (they have never done so in the past) but if Dunks is out of form at training then he shouldn't be selected...is that the worst thing?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

17. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Aah well...sometimes you have to lose a coupla soldiers so that everyone knows it is 'serious'. Leaving out fringe players does nothing - if a Dunks or JJ or someone of similar 'regard' was left out, well, that has the potential to really change behaviours.

If the MC are prepared to leave out anyone but a peripheral player I would be shocked (they have never done so in the past) but if Dunks is out of form at training then he shouldn't be selected...is that the worst thing?
    Exactly right. And if Dunks thinks he's as good as he (and the Bombers) say, well let's light a cracker in the right place for him to prove it.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

No agree with that sentiment definitely.
    My interest in this is around the off season stuff with Dunks and how he has integrated back into the club.
    The rhetoric has been that he's been embraced with open arms, and it's part of footy nowadays and he and Luke are close etc...
    So this piqued my interest with that in mind. I get the spin machine has been in action so this is a first real measuring stick to gauge the relationship post attempted defection.

I wonder what the real state of play is. I assume it would be very difficult for him to resume normality, and question is there's some lingering animosity there from Bevo?

He could've singled out JJ as you say, Dunks was always going to get the most attention.

Maybe he's decided being Mr. Nice guy is no longer the approach, an approach which I would be in favour of.