Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  39
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Naughton primed after full pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He needs to stride out further on his last couple of steps. We need to get Twodogs to spend an hour with him.
    Its the ball drop. It being so high allows him to get tremendous momentum through the ball (see - his first shot against Collingwood) but also leaves so much room for error (shot in the last quarter vs Richmond, his last shot vs Freo).

Also, I heard an absolutely insane stat that ALL of Ron’s goals are from set shots this year. It’s not like he’s some immobile gorilla, and probably speaks more to how dominant he is in the air, but can we please get my man some JTGs or something? The best way to fix goal kicking issues is to kick a few with no time to think (or from the back of the square).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Also let him play in the headband.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

3. Likes 1eyedog, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He needs to stride out further on his last couple of steps. We need to get Twodogs to spend an hour with him.
    Yeah in the Yarrville nets.

Naughton runs in like a high jumper. There is way too much bouncing going on and the margin for error too great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah in the Yarrville nets.

Naughton runs in like a high jumper. There is way too much bouncing going on and the margin for error too great.
    Absolutely, the prancing in doesn't lend to stability.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Absolutely, the prancing in doesn't lend to stability.
    Can you not use the words prancing and Naughton in the same sentence please. It just doesn't feel right
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Can you not use the words prancing and Naughton in the same sentence please. It just doesn't feel right
    Prancing Naughton sounds like a racehorse I would lose money on.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confident Naughton will overcome his goalkicking issues because he seems a straightforward and confident character who won't mull over things. The 'yips' never stop him from thinking: 'You know what? Today just isn't my day. And the ball's coming in, there are 3 guys in front of me, and I'd have to fly sideways to mark that ball'. It's more like: 'Challenge accepted.'

His kicking improved a lot this year too. He has kicked some important ones at crunch times. It's his first uninterrupted year as a forward. He's an outrageous talent. No more talk of cutting his hair either, it's a big part of that exuberance.

PS the much maligned Bruce deserves some plaudits for assisting Aaron too. Most of all because he looks like he's having just as much fun as the rest of us whenever Aaron takes a specky instead of darkly rumbling about whether he should have left it for him.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

9. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    PS the much maligned Bruce deserves some plaudits for assisting Aaron too. Most of all because he looks like he's having just as much fun as the rest of us whenever Aaron takes a specky instead of darkly rumbling about whether he should have left it for him.
    The Grin on Juice's face when Naughton takes a speccy is priceless.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Weightman is another one who gets high on Naughton's supply. Loves it when the big fella takes a screamer.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Weightman is another one who gets high on Naughton's supply. Loves it when the big fella takes a screamer.
    Yes, I was going to mention him too. I love his enthusiasm.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else reckon Naughts and Weightman with their flowing curly blonde locks & strong builds look a bit alike? Kinda like a Mini-Me Naughts and a Major Weights? Or a 5 & a half and a 38?

Post Thanks / Like

Just on Naughton, he as an exciting a player I think I’ve seen play in my time watching, along with the Bont. And that includes other teams. Dusty and Danger and the two Reiwoldts have runs on the board for a long period but IMO Naughts only needs to stay as good as he is now for 5 or so years to be in ther stratosphere. Naughts marking ability and ground level ability and tenacity and fair aggression is simply one of the best going around. And predicting his forward play and goal kicking will improve too.

If he & Bont remain uninjured in next 5 or so years surely we snag a flag or two. To have two once inside generation players playing for club at same time and I’m inclined to add in Daniel as he is so damn clever, whilst having fantastic players like Macrae and Libba and Treloar and Dunks, now reliable player in Bruce and promising players like English and Jamarra, it’s such an exciting time right now.

15. Likes ratsmac, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    To be fair Weightman seems to get super excited when another person takes a step so not the best example

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Anyone else reckon Naughts and Weightman with their flowing curly blonde locks & strong builds look a bit alike? Kinda like a Mini-Me Naughts and a Major Weights? Or a 5 & a half and a 38?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If only we could get Juice to take the shots at goal afterwards