Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  39
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Naughton primed after full pre-season

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    If only we could get Juice to take the shots at goal afterwards
    Use the Brain Lake move
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    If only we could get Juice to take the shots at goal afterwards
    He has been so accurate this year. 34 Goals 10.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He has been so accurate this year. 34 Goals 10.
    I reckon Bruce has been pretty good this year and around the mark of expectations of when we recruited him (as opposed to last season).
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

5. Likes bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is an absolute cat the way he lands on his feet and accelerates and he is starting to direct the ball in the air to his own advantage on the ground, never seen that before

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He needs to stride out further on his last couple of steps. We need to get Twodogs to spend an hour with him.
    100%, his follow through is lacking, it has dropped off more and more as he is losing confidence after a few bad weeks
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quite obviously it is his ball drop that is the issue. Look closely and you will see his left hand (guiding hand) is more towards the back of the ball rather than side of ball as we were all taught to do as junior players. Cannot believe this has not been rectified as it has been going on for far too long and will one day cost big time in a tight game.

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitcha View Post
    Quite obviously it is his ball drop that is the issue. Look closely and you will see his left hand (guiding hand) is more towards the back of the ball rather than side of ball as we were all taught to do as junior players. Cannot believe this has not been rectified as it has been going on for far too long and will one day cost big time in a tight game.
    Goals B
    Round 12 Dockers 1 5
    Round 11 Demons 1 1
    Round 10 Saints 5 4
    Round 9 Power 4 0
    Round 8 Blues 2 1
    Round 7 Tigers 3 0
    Round 6 Giants 2 3
    Round 5 Suns 2 3
    Round 4 Lions 2 5
    Round 3 Kangaroos 2 2
    Round 2 Eagles 3 2
    Round 1 Magpies 2 0
    29 26

He has had some huge games this year and a couple where he couldn't miss - Port and Richmond, yet Dockers, Saints, Lions he could have bagged some huge scores

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Naughton should be close to All-Australian based on what hes doing - I view him as close to the best forward in the game

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Goals B
    Round 12 Dockers 1 5
    Round 11 Demons 1 1
    Round 10 Saints 5 4
    Round 9 Power 4 0
    Round 8 Blues 2 1
    Round 7 Tigers 3 0
    Round 6 Giants 2 3
    Round 5 Suns 2 3
    Round 4 Lions 2 5
    Round 3 Kangaroos 2 2
    Round 2 Eagles 3 2
    Round 1 Magpies 2 0
    29 26

He has had some huge games this year and a couple where he couldn't miss - Port and Richmond, yet Dockers, Saints, Lions he could have bagged some huge scores
    He had a really bad miss in the Richmond game that could have revived our chances.

Games where he doesn't kick points do not prove he didn't miss shots. He has lots of gettable shots that he fails to score with.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    He had a really bad miss in the Richmond game that could have revived our chances.

Games where he doesn't kick points do not prove he didn't miss shots. He has lots of gettable shots that he fails to score with.
    Yeah, a significant amount of his misses are from very gettable positions. He's getting lots of good looks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

He could be an elite forward that kicks 100+. He’s that good. I mean Gary Ablett Sr good on potential for freakish marking.

But… missing more than 50% of the time is as bad as his as contested marking is outstanding. His job is to generate shots AND then take them say 60% of the time or better. He’s an outstanding mark but right now an better than average forward. Forwards need to convert. My great fear is that his kicking doesn’t improve to just even to GAS levels who was at 60%, who was comparatively low in the era against Lockett at 69%.

I hope for the best, that can somehow get to 60%+. He would be GAS. He would take the best defender and JUH is better than Barry Stoneham as a second KPF. There’s a dynasty there, just not like Geelong constantly shutting the bed. The sooner he turns this around the sooner we get close to unbeatable. But I’m not seeing steady progress right now. But we are bulldog people, even the most pessimistic of us all live in hope.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't all his goals come from set shots? It's actually his in play misses that are dragging down his accuracy. His set shot accuracy over the season has actually been reasonable I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Haven't all his goals come from set shots? It's actually his in play misses that are dragging down his accuracy. His set shot accuracy over the season has actually been reasonable I believe.
    Any stats for set shots?

Post Thanks / Like

I would be confident that a very, very high percentage of his shots are actually set shots. His ground ball gets are when he is further up the ground.

He would be missing more often than most.

He has kicked 29.26 season to date and would expect there has been at least one no score in every game.

On accuracy he is well below 50%
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I would be confident that a very, very high percentage of his shots are actually set shots. His ground ball gets are when he is further up the ground.

He would be missing more often than most.

He has kicked 29.26 season to date and would expect there has been at least one no score in every game.

On accuracy he is well below 50%
    Of course they are mostly set shots. I don't know where to find set shot stats but they are often shown during the game and I recall something like 28.15, perhaps early in the game? Obviously these don't include the complete misses, but I confident his set shot accuracy is not well below 50%. Certainly before Sunday it wasn't too bad and I certainly dispute that he is missing more often than most.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course they are mostly set shots. I don't know where to find set shot stats but they are often shown during the game and I recall something like 28.15, perhaps early in the game? Obviously these don't include the complete misses, but I confident his set shot accuracy is not well below 50%. Certainly before Sunday it wasn't too bad and I certainly dispute that he is missing more often than most.
    I read a stat that Naughton's expected scoring is well below his actual scoring, i.e. he is missing shots he should be kicking based on shot location. Running at something like 7 goals below expectation.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.