Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Very, very stupid AFL people, past or present

Ian Collins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Ian Collins
    Seconded. Still dirty on him for Grant's suspension in 97.

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan Griffen sprang to mind initially, but without him going, we more than likely don't end up with Tom Boyd .Without Tom, we probably don't end up with a premiership.
    So I'm settling on Nathan Brown.

Leaves us to go to Richmond for 'success'.
    He stays, the sliding doors means he not only doesn't break his leg, but he also adds a point of difference to our 2008 team and who knows what happens, but it would be a damn sight better than what did eventuste...for both him and us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Ryan Griffen sprang to mind initially, but without him going, we more than likely don't end up with Tom Boyd .Without Tom, we probably don't end up with a premiership.

He stays, the sliding doors means he not only doesn't break his leg, but he also adds a point of difference to our 2008 team and who knows what happens, but it would be a damn sight better than what did eventuste...for both him and us.
    I was up to my armpits in party party at the time Brown left, was playing footy at a reasonable level and seriously nobody really was interested in AFL at the club I played for week by week, so I missed a lot of the drama surrounding Rhode and the associated shenanigans that led to him leaving.

From what I've been told or can gather, he wasn't completely stupid for leaving, and he was pretty much the best player in the comp in the season in which his leg was broken.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I was up to my armpits in party party at the time Brown left, was playing footy at a reasonable level and seriously nobody really was interested in AFL at the club I played for week by week, so I missed a lot of the drama surrounding Rhode and the associated shenanigans that led to him leaving.

From what I've been told or can gather, he wasn't completely stupid for leaving, and he was pretty much the best player in the comp in the season in which his leg was broken.
    Not entirely dissimilar to my circumstances Jeemak.
    I was blindsided by his departure. Especially as through my fugue state mind at the time I was confident he'd stay given the 'if Darcy re-signs so will I' narrative that was doing the media rounds.
    I recall he was offered significant financial inducements to go there, and he probably made out like gangbusters financially, but from a football point of view it turned out dismally.
    I dare say, had he stayed, his football resume would've ended up significantly better.
    I'd wager, had he stayed, he would've flourished in our rebirth under Eade's reign. If so, he also would've featured very prominently in the Top 5 bulldogs thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Not entirely dissimilar to my circumstances Jeemak.
    I was blindsided by his departure. Especially as through my fugue state mind at the time I was confident he'd stay given the 'if Darcy re-signs so will I' narrative that was doing the media rounds.
    I recall he was offered significant financial inducements to go there, and he probably made out like gangbusters financially, but from a football point of view it turned out dismally.
    I dare say, had he stayed, his football resume would've ended up significantly better.
    I'd wager, had he stayed, he would've flourished in our rebirth under Eade's reign. If so, he also would've featured very prominently in the Top 5 bulldogs thread.
    Sliding Doors moment without Jeanne Tripplehorn to make it completely amazing.

His first year was 1997, and it went to shit for him in 2005 when he was averaging twenty touches a game and 3.4 goals. Twenty touches and 3.4 goals. What could he have been under Eade? He could have been someone that put Gia into the middle of the ground where he should have been his entire career because he'd have been so amazing at it, and given us some actual class outside of Cooney and on top of Cross and Boyd.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would it be too literal to say Justin Sherman?

9. Likes Dry Rot, Happy Days, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Would it be too literal to say Justin Sherman?
    Well if we are gonna go down that path then Stewart Cameri.

Firstly he was a dumb footballer who continually made low percentage plays and frustrated the hell out of me.

Mainly though it's for the booking of his wedding on Grand Final eve like an idiot, compounded by the fact he managed to do it in the one year where the Bulldogs made it.

He gets points for being the one guy to leave Essendon but even then morals and ethics aside he probably cost himself an even juicier contract and longer career by doing so.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

We low-balled him. The club didn't have the money to pay all it's stars properly so basically had to low-ball one star out of the place, and Brown was it.

If you want stupid - Jayden Schofield. Went back to WA for his girlfriend and turned his back on an AFL career. IIRC he nominated for the draft a couple of years later but no club was interested. He had his one chance and he blew it with a poor decision.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We low-balled him. The club didn't have the money to pay all it's stars properly so basically had to low-ball one star out of the place, and Brown was it.

If you want stupid - Jayden Schofield. Went back to WA for his girlfriend and turned his back on an AFL career. IIRC he nominated for the draft a couple of years later but no club was interested. He had his one chance and he blew it with a poor decision.
    Based on his IG, still mates with a few Bulldogs players such as JJ. Don't think he has many fond feelings for the place.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.