Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  58
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Mitch Wallis succumb to our 'leading goalkicker' curse?

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I think with Caldwell and Shiel to return, their mid depth is pretty good. I'd imagine if Mitch is leaving the Dogs, he's going to a side where he is locked in as best 22.
    If I was Mitch, I'd be heading to Gold Coast. They are hanging out for a leader like him. Mitch has all the attributes to make a great coach, it's time to start planning post-footy career too, and the club he goes to needs that pathway for him.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

2. Likes ReLoad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Would hate to see him there but he would be perfect for Essendon.
    I would prefer him at North over Essendon.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

4. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    If I was Mitch, I'd be heading to Gold Coast. They are hanging out for a leader like him. Mitch has all the attributes to make a great coach, it's time to start planning post-footy career too, and the club he goes to needs that pathway for him.
    Where does he play there though?
    Alex Sexton is a gun forward and has been left out of the side a couple of times this year due to defensive pressure.
    He won't get midfield time there, especially after another pre-season into Anderson and Rowell to return.

His best bet is the Libba type role at Essendon where his dad has business dealings with an Bombers coterie member. I think with a young family he doesn't want to leave Victoria, his partner is a Melbourne girl so leaving two sets of grandparents just isn't on the cards.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I would prefer him at North over Essendon.
    North are stacking their midfield so unless he wants to play forward I'm not sure North go for it.
    They'll get Horne at the end of the year to go with Simpkin/Powell/Lazzaro/Cunnington etc.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Just reading through this thread and I wonder if there is another 'curse' we should consider
    Over the last few years we've been challenged by players moving into the leadership group and then quickly out of the group.
    JT, Hunter, Dunks and now Wallis who are all great blokes and club men have all been moved into the leadership group and for a variety of reasons moved out of the group within 12 months. Granted I'm assuming Wallis will be gone at the end of the season.
    JT and Wallis with form, Hunter with his car accident and Dunkley after looking to move elsewhere have all moved through the leadership ranks quickly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is where Bevo's 'adapt or die' mantra has not suited Wally. Yes, he has played out of the midfield, wing and forward pocket, but at Wally's height and speed he needs to be more adaptable to be able to replace all and not just Libba (as mentioned previous in this thread). Could he play a lock down role in a backpocket?
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Just reading through this thread and I wonder if there is another 'curse' we should consider
    Over the last few years we've been challenged by players moving into the leadership group and then quickly out of the group.
    JT, Hunter, Dunks and now Wallis who are all great blokes and club men have all been moved into the leadership group and for a variety of reasons moved out of the group within 12 months. Granted I'm assuming Wallis will be gone at the end of the season.
    JT and Wallis with form, Hunter with his car accident and Dunkley after looking to move elsewhere have all moved through the leadership ranks quickly.
    And the point is?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    And the point is?
    We haven't had a lot of luck on the players in the leadership group.
    Is this observation of another potential curse a problem for you?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good question, we should be looking at the way we select our leaders and why we select them.

Hunter - generally fairly loose guy, loves a punt, is a bit of a lad, got drunk and crashed his car. Has an infectious personality and was well liked. Football smart as well. Bad choice by the players but understandable.

Roughly/ JT - same applies to both players. Consummate professionals, great clubmen, well liked. Both squeezed out because of their limitations. JTs time was up and something soured between Roughie and the club that made it untenable for him to be here. The club viewed both as surplus so we made a decision to move them on/ delist them. Happens all the time.

Dunks: Got a bigger, longer offer to play elsewhere and wanted to take it. It's just business but it hurt because he was in line for the VC role following Hunter's indiscretion.

Wallis was a bad, reactive decision by the club following Hunter's indiscretion, which created a bit of a leadership vacuum I.e. Dunks / Hunter. Wally had just finished up a great year, is highly professional and well liked. I understand why he was chosen but the decision came with risk re. he had never really solidified a spot in the 22 over an extended period. Also, not long after Wally was made VC we got Martin in which implied we had the intention of playing English forward. Wally's position basically became null and void overnight. I mean he was basically playing as a key forward and as if we would / could play him in front of English!

In hindsight awarding him the VC role was badly managed by us, we essentially awarded him and almost at the same time we replaced him.

We've had bad luck is it a curse? Is a curse a series of unfortunately events? In hindsight, Hunter and Wally were bad choices by the players / club. JT and Roughie were solid citizens and safe choices, but there was risk re. whether they were best 22. But that wasn't too bad as they were in the leadership group and not a VC. Wally's appointment was a disaster, risky best 22 proposition and essentially had his position replaced on the eve of his promotion.

Anyway, hopefully this settles down. We have a great, young leader and it looks like Dunks is staying so expect him to sign a big contract and get the VC role he should have and would have had had Essington not come knocking. He's our VC. A solid citizen and a great player.

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those that blame bad luck for things that don't work will continue to take actions that don't work out. They then blame bad luck.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, not at all. I just don't think it's something to be too concerned about as all of the situations are different, had different causes etc.

Wally's an interesting one. It's not as if he wasn't given an opportunity to play a role with us this year, with the reality being that he was and just stunk it up over a couple of practice outings and two rounds of the real stuff.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of us (me) cast doubt on the manner in which Wallis was kicking his goals and whether it was replicable both against better defences and when teams had sufficient footage on him. He relied a lot on service and did almost nothing in the air or on the ground to create his chances last year.

Its sad but wasn’t unforeseeable.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Some of us (me) cast doubt on the manner in which Wallis was kicking his goals and whether it was replicable both against better defences and when teams had sufficient footage on him. He relied a lot on service and did almost nothing in the air or on the ground to create his chances last year.

Its sad but wasn’t unforeseeable.
    I know he isn't quick, but is he capable of just trying to crumb the ball when Naughton and Bruce bring the ball to ground?

However, the other issue is the lack of speed doesn't allow him to be a pressure forward.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I know he isn't quick, but is he capable of just trying to crumb the ball when Naughton and Bruce bring the ball to ground?

However, the other issue is the lack of speed doesn't allow him to be a pressure forward.
    He isn't even playing forward in the VFL so he's competing for a midfield spot again it seems. Couldn't crack a look even with Dunks and Treloar out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He isn't even playing forward in the VFL so he's competing for a midfield spot again it seems. Couldn't crack a look even with Dunks and Treloar out.
    He went back to playing forward the last game:

16 disposals, five tackles, one goal
    “’Wall’ spent time predominantly as a forward, which was good for him. He competed well all night and sat under a few uncomfortable positions in the aerial contests, but it was good to see him follow through and get on the end of a goal, which was a nice reward for his hard work.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.