Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Mitch Wallis succumb to our 'leading goalkicker' curse?

Much like our old 'dud brother' curse we had to carry until Zaine Cordy laid a brutal tackle in the dying stages of the first quarter on 1 October 2016, our leading goalkickers since that fateful day have been cursed.

2017: Stringer/Picken (joint winners)
    Jake Stringer decided that Tinder and KFC were both better than football and went somewhere to further his AFL career without the burden of performance or team success. .
    Picken became a victim of his own incredible courage with concussion symptoms forcing him from the game.

2018: Billy Gowers
    He never recaptured his 2018 form: two years later, he's living it up on the Gold Coast. Hopefully he can recapture his Instagram form too, it was amusing back in the day.

2019: Sam Lloyd
    Good ol' Bong-Lips hit the ground running when he was traded for a token pick to the dogs, reuniting him with high school teammate Easton Wood. 2020 suckled for Lloyd as much as anybody, and he was a late retirement allowing the dogs to grab McNeill as a rookie for the 2021 season.

2020: Mitch Wallis
    A revelation as a player who sacrificed his preferred position as a midfielder to stay loyal to the dogs and play as a permanent 'unique' forward/ He has a strong, low centre of gravity so takes one on one marks against any opponent the same height as him.

I've been as bullish on Mitch as much as anyone on this board but against Melbourne I had concerns with him. He's a quality guy, our VC, works hard but the game is faster this year and Mitch... didn't get near it.
    Can he get back to his best and become a unique contributor to the team or is his spot going to under consideration?
    Bevo doesn't even have JJ as a Round 1 lock so nobody is safe. Can he break the curse?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Mitch Wallis succumb to our 'leading goalkicker' curse?

I will hold fire for now, but the signs aren't great for Mitch. The rule change plus English spending more time forward means we need more pace and pressure forward than ever before and Mitch is more Jason Dunstall than Charlie Cameron. Cavarra might be breathing down his neck soon.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I will hold fire for now, but the signs aren't great for Mitch. The rule change plus English spending more time forward means we need more pace and pressure forward than ever before and Mitch is more Jason Dunstall than Charlie Cameron. Cavarra might be breathing down his neck soon.
    I can't disagree with this assessment, although we do know that Mitch will do everything possible to make a relevant contribution.

A fit Mitch Hannan will also pressure his position.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I can't disagree with this assessment, although we do know that Mitch will do everything possible to make a relevant contribution.

A fit Mitch Hannan will also pressure his position.
    Yep, that can't be doubted.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    2019: Sam Lloyd
    Good ol' Bong-Lips hit the ground running when he was traded for a token pick to the dogs, reuniting him with high school teammate Easton Wood. 2020 suckled for Lloyd as much as anybody, and he was a late retirement allowing the dogs to grab McNeill as a rookie for the 2021 season.
    Sorry to be pedantic but Anthony Scott was the beneficiary of Lloyd's retirement, taking his place on the primary list. Lloyd hadn't even quit when the rookie draft took place.

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic but Anthony Scott was the beneficiary of Lloyd's retirement, taking his place on the primary list. Lloyd hadn't even quit when the rookie draft took place.
    You're right, I stand corrected.
    Either way - thank you for your generosity Lloydy

Post Thanks / Like

I'm calling it. He won't be in the seniors by the mid way mark of the year. Think he is going to struggle to hold his spot in a side that has quite a lot of multipurpose tools, some which can do his job and add value in the margins.

Crazy for me, to have arrived at that point, given how much I respect and value Wally's contribution to the Club. Can just see it happening and potentially being a reflection on as really good spike in the performance of players with skill sets that offer a bit more variety.

Post Thanks / Like

A great thread thanks Mofra. While I hope that this is not the case I think there is a real chance he struggles in that role this year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Every year we have a thread about Wally and how he is not best 22.

I think he will be right again and will kick a few goals, or at the very least create some goals. He is a real leader and someone we need in the forward line.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he'll be right. Yeah there will be games where he won't kick many or any goals but he has a good footy brain and will pop up when its his turn. He wasn't fast last year so he doesn't rely on leg speed to get the footy. He's a strong man and a good mark. Our forward line looked un organised against Melbourne so when/if we get that sorted he'll play a role there. One thing we know about Mitch is he won't die wondering.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    What sort of tenure did we give him?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    What sort of tenure did we give him?
    Someone should put together a thread with this kind of info.

15. Likes EasternWest, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Every year we have a thread about Wally and how he is not best 22.

I think he will be right again and will kick a few goals, or at the very least create some goals. He is a real leader and someone we need in the forward line.
    Reminds me of pre-season commentary on Liam Picken year after year (prior to 2016)...."not sure where he fits in the side etc".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Reminds me of pre-season commentary on Liam Picken year after year (prior to 2016)...."not sure where he fits in the side etc".
    I've been one of Mitch's biggest supporters before this year but this isn't just about Mitch.
    It's our latest curse that needs breaking. We beat a prelim curse and a dud brother curse which were tough ones, but we need to recognise this voodoo for what it is.

18. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No problems with the premise of the OP about the curse!