Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  58
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Mitch Wallis succumb to our 'leading goalkicker' curse?

Is he really that much worse than Anthony Scott? Won our goalkicking last year, can tag and play in and under. A tad slow but as the sub coming on when the game has slowed he could be an important and versatile contributor
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Is he really that much worse than Anthony Scott? Won our goalkicking last year, can tag and play in and under. A tad slow but as the sub coming on when the game has slowed he could be an important and versatile contributor
    Is the sub likely to be one of either Richards, VDM, or JJ though? Three players with speed and a history of being played forward and back under Bevo.

Unfortunately I think Mitch is likely to be sitting further back in the pecking order in a club with a pretty full list to choose from.

Post Thanks / Like

Wal is just too damn slow to be a “play a role” type. It really hinders his versatility and his effectiveness in spots other than midfield or ostensible KPF.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Conversely when the game has slowed a bit and you bring on someone with speed you give yourself a good advantage. JJ against Brisbane being a really good example.

5. Likes Happy Days, Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I want to give a shout-out to Wallis. When I saw him celebrating after the siren, my heart broke for him.

Will be the only guy to be on the list in 2016 and 2021 and not get to play in either Grand Final. A true clubman, a great leader and I hope that he is able to enjoy the next two weeks.
    Lin Jong too.

7. Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is all class from the Wallis clan:

Another bittersweet grand final for a family of the Bulldog breed

Former Footscray captain Steve Wallis knows what it is to have mixed feeling watching the Bulldogs play in, and win, a grand final. It happened in 2016 when his son Mitch had a broken leg and missed playing in the drought-breaking premiership.

This time again Mitch, the club’s vice captain, will, unless there is a stunning selection shift, be the luckless casualty of a side driving to a grand final and a chance at another premiership.

Steve, like Mitch, will be cheering just as hard for the Dogs, regardless of whether a Wallis is on the field, but has tinges of disappointment for his son. To that end, it has been Mitch who has been pushing the family to embrace the team and not worry about his own position.

“I think people know who we are as people - we are bigger than (getting upset about) that,” Steve said.

“We know that the club is the club, and that is who we support.

“I have had to get the mind around it, but I have. We have got to not miss the fact we are a big Bulldogs family. I was in the crowd in 2016 with all my family cheering like buggery, and it felt disappointing - for Mitch - that time. This one is equally hard. But I will be cheering just as hard.

“There’s a lot of people in Mitch’s position every year. It has been a bit challenging for him this year, but it is just one of those things. There is no doubt he will be backing them in 100 per cent as the family will.

“I have seen plenty of people go through this same scenario. He is my son, I understand that, but the character he has shown in adversity has been unbelievable from a parenting point of view.

“As much as we have had our ups and downs in supporting him and feeling his disappointment, he has led the way for us to feel comfortable, if that makes sense, and to look at the broader picture that he has a lot of teammates there that he loves and wants them to do well.

“He gets off the canvas all the time, and has had to several times this year, but he has done it with unbelievable dignity. No one will know or care about that, but as a parent you do.

“It’s going to be a fantastic game, I am really looking forward to it.”

Wallis is a story of disappointment for this grand final. The vice-captain to Marcus Bontempelli, he has been squeezed out of a midfield of powerful but similarly-paced inside midfielders - Josh Dunkley, Tom Liberatore, and Jackson Macrae - and had to re-craft himself into a forward this year.

As a medium-sized target he was powerful and had good games, but Anthony Scott and Mitch Hannan have been preferred to him. Hannan had one of his best games for the Dogs in the preliminary final and did well playing as a defensive forward on Steven May when the Dogs played Melbourne previously this year.

As a football realist, Steve Wallis is philosophical of the squeeze on his son’s position and just excited at the idea of another flag. He is also confident the Dogs have the edge on the Demons, in part due to the inventiveness in the coaches’ box, and in part from the bond and sacrifice of the Dogs’ players.

“What a grand final - imagine it was here,” Steve said.

“It’s just going to be fantastic, what a great job the AFL have done to give us a game. It’s been a great season, (and) I think the football has been better, so there’s been some real positives.”

9. Thanks bornadog, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a really sad situation with Mitch.

You'd have to think that with missing the prelim 23, AND we have 2 more coming back - that is his approximately 26th in line theoretically.

Such terrific bloke and family. Would love for him to be medi-sub but unfortunately can't see it happening.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s really heartbreaking for Mitch. He’s as bulldog as they come. It’s not through lack of effort, he just doesn’t have the pace or height required up forward.

I hope he realises he’s played a big part in our last flag and getting to the gf this year. Vice captain this year, he’d have an enormous influence through his leadership. The ultimate professional he’d set an amazing example for a lot of the young guys. It’s why premiership medals should be given to everyone on the list IMO (or at least those who have played a game).

12. Likes Bulldog Joe, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Conversely when the game has slowed a bit and you bring on someone with speed you give yourself a good advantage. JJ against Brisbane being a really good example.
    We never used it that way when Gia was around
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Just when you think you can’t love Steve Wallis any more. It’s a known fact some FS dads can get pissed off publicly known if their boy doesn’t play. He’s beyond awesome.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes josie, MrMahatma, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We never used it that way when Gia was around
    We also came like 14th and had a moron for a coach. This way is much better.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Likes EasternWest, MrMahatma, Topdog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    We also came like 14th and had a moron for a coach. This way is much better.
    I think Gia was almost our leading goalkicker from about 9 sub games that year. A lot didn't work back then but I thought Gia's use was good

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I feel a little responsible here.

Can Naughton finally break the curse?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

20. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Well, I feel a little responsible here.

Can Naughton finally break the curse?
    Mofra wants Naughton delisted.
    "It's over. It's all over."

22. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Mofra wants Naughton delisted.
    I may have to go into hiding...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers