Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  69
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Dale to backline

Dale embracing new role

Western Bulldogs utility Bailey Dale has embraced a new role down back ahead of the 2021 season.

The 24-year-old spent the majority of the Bulldogs’ AAMI Community Series match playing across the half-back line, recording 23 disposals, nine intercept possessions and three rebound-50s.

To top off a successful switch, he even snuck forward to slot two goals.

Dale said the new role had only come about in recent weeks.

“It is a bit of a different role – obviously not having the back next to you all the time is a bit of a free-up, but I still got forward and kicked a couple of goals which was nice,” Dale told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“I did most of my stuff as a forward this pre-season, and then an opportunity sort of opened up down back over the last few weeks and thought I’d give it a crack.

“Hopefully I can do it for the rest of the year.”

Dale credited his teammates for their in-game guidance, and said despite having a shortened pre-season this year, the group feels ready for the challenge that awaits in round one.

“We obviously play a very assertive brand, so to get up the field and really compress I found myself in some good spots,” Dale said.

“Having the guys behind me talking to me and getting me in the right spots really helped.

“We’ve had a pretty solid pre-season even though it was compressed - we’ve put in the work and so to get a couple of hit-outs in the VFL and AFL with full match-time is going to go a long way to hopefully us playing really well in round one.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bailey Dale to backline

“We obviously play a very assertive brand, so to get up the field and really compress I found myself in some good spots."
    My goals over the back PTSD just triggered.

3. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale trained with the forwards all pre-season but was given a role across half back 2 weeks ago? Makes sense, given the lack of options we have in that role...

Never change Bevo.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

BORDERLINE FLYING

6. Thanks chef, The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo : "Positions are something one might find in the karma suture"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Instead of Bailey Dale, it should read 'A Bulldogs player'
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes WBFC4FFC, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me give you some insight regarding the theme this year. It's waves. Waves of pressure. Inspiration provided by Pearl Jam, or Kings of Leon.. No it was Pearl Jam.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont mind Bailey Dale playing on the wing actually, he has such a lovely kick for goal that if he can get on the end of it after some overlap run I like our chances in the 45 out zone. Not sure he has the hardness of a defender so glad we'll only play him there to round 18 to find out properly.
    The dam wall has busted!

12. Likes Bulldog Joe, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Dale trained with the forwards all pre-season but was given a role across half back 2 weeks ago? Makes sense, given the lack of options we have in that role...

Never change Bevo.
    I'm actually really curious what changed our thinking. He trained as a forward all pre-season and against Hawthorn defintely spent the majority of his time as a forward and maybe winger, are we just that unimpressed with JJ and Richards we decided to flip him around?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo in his presser suggested that players playing all over the joint was to help deal with the lower cap in rotations. I think the theory being that you can't rest every player every quarter meaning runners are going to have to sit behind or forward of the ball at times, while everyone else apart from key tenets of areas will have to be flexible.

Knowing that Dale's contracted the coaching team may have thought now's the time to try him elsewhere having not seen the requisite improvement in his usual roles over preseason. Hopefully he does well.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember when he was first drafted he looked like an elusive winger and he certainly covers the ground well. I have mentioned I am sceptical on his ability to defend as such but it was a pretty good audition for the role and he is certainly a player that needs to add more to his game than just fading in and out of games as a leading forward.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I remember when he was first drafted he looked like an elusive winger and he certainly covers the ground well. I have mentioned I am sceptical on his ability to defend as such but it was a pretty good audition for the role and he is certainly a player that needs to add more to his game than just fading in and out of games as a leading forward.
    Let's face it he has faded in and out on the forward line and frustrated many of us .

Whether his backline role is a success remains to be seen.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I remember watching his clips and thinking if anything he's going to be a good outside player who can add polish between the flanks. We then tried to get him to play one the hardest positions on the ground in modern footy and he's shown he's capable but inconsistent.

He is super talented, and there's something about him that makes me keep the faith that he will be a player. Now's his time to mature and deliver some consistency.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Let me give you some insight regarding the theme this year. It's waves. Waves of pressure. Inspiration provided by Pearl Jam, or Kings of Leon.. No it was Pearl Jam.
    I figured this was a wry imaginary riff on Bevo being Bevo but having now seen the presentation of course it's the coach's literal battle cry ahead of season 2021.

Bless him, but did nobody point out the problem with tsunamis from a footballing perspective is they're freak occurrences?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo needs to listen to some new music.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -