Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  69
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bailey Dale to backline

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    In the replay I realised what an important role Duryea played. He was really important at critical times as he was against Collingwood when the match tightened. Let’s hope he remains injury free as I think his impact has been underestimated (by me at least)
    Aye, much the same. Duryea's timing and hardness was low-key priceless in that torrid last quarter against the Eagles and without he and Williams holding their nerve back there there's no Bont-led heroics to bask in later.

A healthy indication of whether we've matured into a genuinely formidable foe is if we see that stinginess from them - and their backline mates - more consistently when contests are in the balance.

One week at a time and all, but how they fare against Brisbane will be another instructive test.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

2. Likes The bulldog tragician, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I agree with you re Duryea but I'm wary of putting my faith in anyone that looks like Ramsay Bolton.
    He loves dogs doesn't he?

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of #15, how is his surname pronounced? Commentators are referring to him as Doo-ray lately but before this season he was commonly referred to as Due-ray-er. Which is it?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I was really really upset with Duryea in the third quarter. We'd worked hard to stifle the Weagles forward movement in a rare moment and he fluffed his lines really badly and fumbled a ground ball and seemed to impossibly knee it to the Weagles players and it seemed at the time a bit of a pressure valve moment.

He is solid though, and I am beginning to not think he's a douche after all these years post his efforts in being a tough guy in the 2016 semi final at half time.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes Testekill, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is this team’s iteration of the Matthew Boyd role at half back. Not quite as hard, but better hops. Important player.

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Against North he did this amazing spin in the last to get free from congestion - he is going well down back.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liked the flexibility being able to swing him forward in the last to balance their man behind the ball. Good lead to space and finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve mentioned a couple of times, I went to a function at the end of 2015. Most people got a couple of minutes with Bevo. Apart from other things I asked him about the best position for Dale. He mentioned as a forward, but with his skill sets he would make an excellent half back.

So it’s been on Bevo’s mind since his first season. I wonder why it’s taken 5 years to make the move? Looks like a good move.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It may have had something to do about how crap we were in converting and if Bailey got enough of it he's a reliable shot for goal.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

He's really taken a big step, there was also one point where he hit up Bruce in the open goal square when he'd have usual blazed away and taken the shot himself. I think his arm length helps him to play taller than what he is and he's been doing a good job of keeping his feet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’ve mentioned a couple of times, I went to a function at the end of 2015. Most people got a couple of minutes with Bevo. Apart from other things I asked him about the best position for Dale. He mentioned as a forward, but with his skill sets he would make an excellent half back.

So it’s been on Bevo’s mind since his first season. I wonder why it’s taken 5 years to make the move? Looks like a good move.
    Good insight.

A bit like everything re our forward line since the Eade days or even before. We tend not to be able to put genuine forwards in there bar a few and end up using blokes who we can't squeeze into their most suited positions.

Probably like Naughton, if a player who can show himself as capable of being elite forward - which Dale has - then we try it for as long as we can until he proves he can't be.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

May have been a long list of players he was trying to get to play half back, finally got around to turning Bailey into one. You know:
    Roarke, Hayes, Crozier ( he was a forward), Williams and some of other players we have let go: Young, Lynch, Gowers, Trengrove, Suckling.

We had a surplus at some stage.

But its worked out well so far. Keeps Dale in the game and his intensity up. As a forward I noticed he did a bit of ball watching at times.

18. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I was really really upset with Duryea in the third quarter. We'd worked hard to stifle the Weagles forward movement in a rare moment and he fluffed his lines really badly and fumbled a ground ball and seemed to impossibly knee it to the Weagles players and it seemed at the time a bit of a pressure valve moment.

He is solid though, and I am beginning to not think he's a douche after all these years post his efforts in being a tough guy in the 2016 semi final at half time.
    It was a terrible moment after Jooce had done a heap of hard work to gain an advantage.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Speaking of #15, how is his surname pronounced? Commentators are referring to him as Doo-ray lately but before this season he was commonly referred to as Due-ray-er. Which is it?
    Dipthong in second syllable.

21. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Dipthong in second syllable.
    Gezundheit.
    "It's over. It's all over."