Dale embracing new role

Western Bulldogs utility Bailey Dale has embraced a new role down back ahead of the 2021 season.

The 24-year-old spent the majority of the Bulldogs’ AAMI Community Series match playing across the half-back line, recording 23 disposals, nine intercept possessions and three rebound-50s.

To top off a successful switch, he even snuck forward to slot two goals.

Dale said the new role had only come about in recent weeks.

“It is a bit of a different role – obviously not having the back next to you all the time is a bit of a free-up, but I still got forward and kicked a couple of goals which was nice,” Dale told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“I did most of my stuff as a forward this pre-season, and then an opportunity sort of opened up down back over the last few weeks and thought I’d give it a crack.

“Hopefully I can do it for the rest of the year.”

Dale credited his teammates for their in-game guidance, and said despite having a shortened pre-season this year, the group feels ready for the challenge that awaits in round one.

“We obviously play a very assertive brand, so to get up the field and really compress I found myself in some good spots,” Dale said.

“Having the guys behind me talking to me and getting me in the right spots really helped.

“We’ve had a pretty solid pre-season even though it was compressed - we’ve put in the work and so to get a couple of hit-outs in the VFL and AFL with full match-time is going to go a long way to hopefully us playing really well in round one.”