Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  69
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bailey Dale to backline

Bailey Dale looking superlative at HBF.
    Reading of play, skilled kicking and marking with good decision making.
    I doubted he would make it but looking like a natural at his no position HBF.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope those who speculated that he may have 'shirked' a contest, also noticed him bodyline the footy very late in the game which prevented the Eagles getting the footy for another inside 50.

3. Likes EasternWest, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I hope those who speculated that he may have 'shirked' a contest, also noticed him bodyline the footy very late in the game which prevented the Eagles getting the footy for another inside 50.
    I did notice that. But we also know a ground level contest is a lot different to an aerial one. The latter is a lot scarier. Like I said though, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt in the one I saw.

btw is this a contract year for Bailey?

5. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I did notice that. But we also know a ground level contest is a lot different to an aerial one. The latter is a lot scarier. Like I said though, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt in the one I saw.

End of 2022
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you referring to when Stef Martin marked it? If so, I was only watching Stef, as he had his name on it well before because I remember saying 'gotta be you Stef' as nobody else was going to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Potentially very harsh but I was counting that as a flinch. He fumbled it in the end, maybe a bit of technique because he did look to go in quite hard but he has fumbled lots of ground balls in the past and this was similar. I need to have another look, it was a great attack but if he took his eyes off at slightly as the contact cane that’s exactly what he did a few times against Melbourne.

Definitely a harsh view but stands out in a team of clean ground level players plus you’re probably looking for it slightly as he has history with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you referring to when Stef Martin marked it? If so, I was only watching Stef, as he had his name on it well before because I remember saying 'gotta be you Stef' as nobody else was going to get there.
    Yeah that one. Funny that. I was only watching Bailey and said 'you gotta get this Bailey. This is your moment to test yourself'. Then he went halfway up and backed out of the contest. When I watched the replay I thought ok maybe Stef told him to leave it. Who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that one. Funny that. I was only watching Bailey and said 'you gotta get this Bailey. This is your moment to test yourself'. Then he went halfway up and backed out of the contest. When I watched the replay I thought ok maybe Stef told him to leave it. Who knows.
    May have depended on our respective views of it. I was L2 Aisle 33, so was Stef was right in my eye line and from where I could see the ball was landing, he was the only one getting there for us.

I just found it on kayo, hard to tell what was happening on tv. From the weird way he finishes, I can only assume he's been called out by Martin. He looks closer to Stef then what it looked like from the opposite side of the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I have just two minor issues where he didn't go. One was going back with the flight of the ball, albeit with a pack forming behind him (still, he could have easily marked it and it slipped through his fingers (because he was going back, but I'll give him that one)).
    I'm not saying this was his intention (and don't recall the incident you are referring to) but I am going to use this to segue into a semi related topic.

If we can start getting some defenders that don't always fly for the aerial ball we will be better for it. We have had so many instances where every defender we have in the vicinity of the footy flies for the mark/spoil not only combating each other but leaving us with no one on the ground. If guys like Dale can pick and choose when they fly then we will be much better for it.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I really like what he’s bringing to the backline. He is poised and calm. The thing that’s always been an issue, him fading out of games and being unsighted for periods of a game, less likely to happen. As for breaking the lines, his kicking is so good it can gain us 50 metres ... more important than what sometimes happens with JJ, of a run and a bomb. Together with Daniel and Williams we now have 3 good ball users coming out of defence.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

13. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I'm not saying this was his intention (and don't recall the incident you are referring to) but I am going to use this to segue into a semi related topic.

If we can start getting some defenders that don't always fly for the aerial ball we will be better for it. We have had so many instances where every defender we have in the vicinity of the footy flies for the mark/spoil not only combating each other but leaving us with no one on the ground. If guys like Dale can pick and choose when they fly then we will be much better for it.
    There was a good example last week, with 3.30min left on the clock, when the WC player at the back picked off the ball falling off the pack. He was standing on his own as they all flew up for the ball mand turned around and put them back in front.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I really like what he’s bringing to the backline. He is poised and calm. The thing that’s always been an issue, him fading out of games and being unsighted for periods of a game, less likely to happen. As for breaking the lines, his kicking is so good it can gain us 50 metres ... more important than what sometimes happens with JJ, of a run and a bomb. Together with Daniel and Williams we now have 3 good ball users coming out of defence.
    You can add Duryea to the good ball user and I can see Scott has a great left foot as well and will be an asset in years to come as he gains experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    You can add Duryea to the good ball user and I can see Scott has a great left foot as well and will be an asset in years to come as he gains experience.
    In the replay I realised what an important role Duryea played. He was really important at critical times as he was against Collingwood when the match tightened. Let’s hope he remains injury free as I think his impact has been underestimated (by me at least)
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    In the replay I realised what an important role Duryea played. He was really important at critical times as he was against Collingwood when the match tightened. Let’s hope he remains injury free as I think his impact has been underestimated (by me at least)
    I agree with you re Duryea but I'm wary of putting my faith in anyone that looks like Ramsay Bolton.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I agree with you re Duryea but I'm wary of putting my faith in anyone that looks like Ramsay Bolton.
    Duryea the Destroyer.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.