Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazon Prime Series - Making Their Mark

Focusing on the Tigers, Crows, Suns and Giants......and Eddie Betts this is a new series from Amazon and it's a glimpse into the season of 2020.

I'm up to episode three, which starts with the Giants getting their arses handed to them by us. Which is nice.

The first two episodes are largely COVID dominated as you'd expect. Interestingly you can see how naive everyone is about how much of and issue COVID will be.

What's striking about it is that in the heat of games the messaging is really simple, or at least that is what you see. The viewer doesn't get the mid week analysis, or the strategy stuff.

It seems worth the watch, some of the stuff around Betts and the BLM tie-in is poignant, will be interesting to see how it pans out from here.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Amazon Prime Series - Making Their Mark

One thing that disappoints me when watching - and I saw the same in Amazon's great All Or Nothing docos too - is the language used, particularly by coaches. In a professional environment, I fail to understand how swearing of that magnitude is acceptable or even effective. It's unacceptable in other workplaces, it should be in the AFL too.

Leon Cameron comes across with no endearing qualities whatsoever, unlike Stewart Dew and Matthew Nicks. They are much more effective coaches with far greater emotional intelligence.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't had a chance to watch much yet, but everything I've read paints Cameron in a terrible light. The clip of him writing Phugomol or whatever on the white board and Phil Davis butchering it was cringe comedy at it's best.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed the doco. A mate of mine was the story producer for the Richmond story, of which I thought they did a great job of the last episode/grand final. Enjoyed Eddie Betts and Rory Sloane stories also. Wasn't overly interested in the Suns and Giants/Coniglio sections.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    One thing that disappoints me when watching - and I saw the same in Amazon's great All Or Nothing docos too - is the language used, particularly by coaches. In a professional environment, I fail to understand how swearing of that magnitude is acceptable or even effective. It's unacceptable in other workplaces, it should be in the AFL too.

Leon Cameron comes across with no endearing qualities whatsoever, unlike Stewart Dew and Matthew Nicks. They are much more effective coaches with far greater emotional intelligence.
    I’ve only finished up to ep 5 but have been struggling with Matthew Nicks style and messaging to his team continuing to getting smashed. As a new coach in a small footy mad state showed the pressure that he was no doubt under, but he needs to get better imo, granted we’re only seeing a brief snapshot of his player engagement and in an unusual environment where his messaging would no doubt be constrained given cameras are rolling.

Conversely, Sloane’s and moreso Dew’s nurturing approach resonated with me far better.

6. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just finished the series, and the main thing I've taken away is that they've presented coaching as pretty basic on game day and in team meetings leading up to game day. I get that the series only got snippets, and I'm not saying it's actually a bad thing.

Year of the Dog is a hard act to follow for any footy doco, but it was raw and this wasn't.

However, one good thing to come from it is that it clearly shows players are coached hard by competent coaches and only the good teams put it all together.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I've watched 3 episodes and I'm struggling. Not that the show isn't any good it's more that I'm so entrenched with the Dogs I loose interest in what other clubs are doing.
    If they wanted me to stay with this I need Dogs content as I've mentioned in some of the older threads if the Dogs weren't in the comp I wouldn't be watching football and that goes for documentaries.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...