Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

Selfless approach for Bulldog mids

link

Ball magnet Jack Macrae says the Western Bulldogs’ midfield group has embraced a selfless approach to give them the best chance of team success in 2021.

The Bulldogs added Adam Treloar to an already deep on-ball brigade over the off-season – plus experienced ruckman Stefan Martin – and retained premiership player Josh Dunkley.

Led by experienced stars in Macrae, skipper Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore, Lachie Hunter – and with emerging players such as Tim English, Bailey Smith and Pat Lipinski making their mark – the Bulldogs have a fair share of options to call upon.

But how they work together in the same side will be critical to the Bulldogs rising up the ladder this season.

"We're going to have to adapt a bit and be flexible and also a bit selfless at times as well," Macrae said.

"Winning is the ultimate priority and we're all going to have to lean on each other throughout the year.

"If we're all on the same page it's going to work really well.

"We all offer different strengths that really complement each other.

"It worked really well in the past. Back in 2016 it was our model where we would all share the load a bit more and look to play well as a team rather than just individually."

The Bulldogs will be confronted by a big challenge on Friday night at the MCG.

Not just Collingwood, but their superstar ruckman Brodie Grundy – who has collected the three Brownlow votes in the past three meetings between these teams.

Macrae is confident the addition of Martin and the improvement of English will hold the Bulldogs in good stead this time around.

“Stef’s obviously been tremendous since he’s come in, but also Tim’s matured quite a bit as well,” he said.

“It’s been a big mantle for Tim the last couple of years, playing 100 per cent of the ruck.

“Their chemistry has been working really well so far and I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes Friday night.

“(Brodie’s) a tremendous player and he’s played very well against us in the past. It’s a big part of the game, as the whole midfield battle will be.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Selfless approach for Bulldog mids

Please.

No more talk.

SHOW US.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes WBFC4FFC, DOG GOD, Dry Rot, Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it selfless insofar as each one will get less midfield time, or is it selfless as in, run both ways, block for each other, take the team option first?

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Is it selfless insofar as each one will get less midfield time, or is it selfless as in, run both ways, block for each other, take the team option first?
    I’m hoping for the latter, but I’m not holding my breath
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Please.

No more talk.

SHOW US.
    Yeah we've really got to stop seeking out the media and trumpeting this stuff unprompted.........

I get what you mean in that we have to actually demonstrate a changed mindset, but we also have to answer questions asked of us - even if they are a bit repetitive.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    ...but we also have to answer questions asked of us - even if they are a bit repetitive.
    We actually don't have to answer any questions. We can actually say whatever we like.

The journos at the moment are really pushing this 'amazing midfield' storyline - it has been on every show and podcast all week. To me the players are doing nothing to shut it down at all...people are laughing at the comparison of Hawkins and Cameron to Brereton/Dunstall who won 4-flags together but everyone seems comfortable with the comparison of our midfield to some of the best of all-time. Hearing our mids get mentioned alongside the triple premiership winning Fab4 from the Lions is just BS...

Jack should have said that. That we have proven nothing yet and are all looking forward to showing everyone that our group is more than a list of names on a page...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

We actually don't have to answer any questions. We can actually say whatever we like.

The journos at the moment are really pushing this 'amazing midfield' storyline - it has been on every show and podcast all week. To me the players are doing nothing to shut it down at all...people are laughing at the comparison of Hawkins and Cameron to Brereton/Dunstall who won 4-flags together but everyone seems comfortable with the comparison of our midfield to some of the best of all-time. Hearing our mids get mentioned alongside the triple premiership winning Fab4 from the Lions is just BS...

Jack should have said that. That we have proven nothing yet and are all looking forward to showing everyone that our group is more than a list of names on a page...
    Have it your way dude.

My view is he's answered the question with a straight bat without being overly positive or negative.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Please.

No more talk.

SHOW US.
    I agree. Talk, talk, talk, talk.......sh*t performance. That's what I liked about 2015/16 - less talk just a job done