Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  61
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 3 Vs North Melbourne 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    We need to win and win well, not scrappily.
    We are not good at this. Our gamestyle and/or mentality seems to mean we never win nor lose by a lot, with a couple of exceptions to the latter and only one to the former (Essendon). It's like our performance is always pegged to no more than one standard deviation from the opponents level, and if both sides aren't in with a shot of winning the game going into the last quarter then it's not a Bulldogs game.

Expecting this to be a 24 point win that we never really looked like losing although North had a set shot with 10 minutes to go to get them within a kick.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Agree this has to be a statement game for us. We need to frank the respect earned from our first two wins. The top teams gap a team like North. Historically though we seem to find a way for ordinary teams to stay in the game.
    We need to win and win well, not scrappily.

No disrespect to North at all, and not taking them lightly, but winning well against them on Friday would represent another test of our growth, or otherwise.
    I agree. Our percentage is always low and it can hurt us come the end of the season. It may be the difference in travelling vs not travelling or even 9th vs 8th. It's currently the lowest of the undefeated teams. Right now that's fine as we've had the toughest opponents but if we want to be considered top 4, we need to put our foot down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    We are not good at this. Our gamestyle and/or mentality seems to mean we never win nor lose by a lot, with a couple of exceptions to the latter and only one to the former (Essendon). It's like our performance is always pegged to no more than one standard deviation from the opponents level, and if both sides aren't in with a shot of winning the game going into the last quarter then it's not a Bulldogs game.

Expecting this to be a 24 point win that we never really looked like losing although North had a set shot with 10 minutes to go to get them within a kick.
    euh. I feel like I just watched this weeks game.

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hurn thumping the ball forward from the kick out was such a weapon for them, compared to Daniel's slower movement. We have a player on our list that the new kick out rule is perfectly suited for and that is JJ.

I don't know how we fit him in, but if he does play, he needs to be our designated kick out option.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Hurn thumping the ball forward from the kick out was such a weapon for them, compared to Daniel's slower movement. We have a player on our list that the new kick out rule is perfectly suited for and that is JJ.

I don't know how we fit him in, but if he does play, he needs to be our designated kick out option.
    May did it in the pre-season game too. I get we set the zone deeper to the fatter part of the ground and that's the plan by the AFL, but I agree we seem to be slow to react to these things. I mean we just worked out the ruck after the third man up

Caleb should be the go to - but we need a guy that can roost it to the centre if required. It's a massive weapon as you say.

Can we get Suckers back as the special teams punter sub?

Post Thanks / Like

If we don't win this one comfortably on Friday, I will be very disappointed.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If we don't win this one comfortably on Friday, I will be very disappointed.
    I'll take a 24 point plus win but I'm hoping for 40+
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Disagree. His kicking for goal was terrible (though he had company on that score), but his forward line pressure and strength at the contest was first rate. Our forward line is a crowded mess and there is no room for a player like him to lead etc.
    His pressure wasn't up to scratch either. Agree with you that our forward line is crowded but this is actually another negative for Mitch. He has thrived the last few years with our big forwards not getting much of the ball. Now they are getting it a decent amount it means less opportunities for Mitch.

Again I wouldn't drop him this week because he has earned that extra chance over the past 2 seasons but as a forward he has 0 goals from 2 games (he was also poor in pre-season). If he doesn't produce again it will be very hard to keep him in.

Post Thanks / Like

JJ for Scott.

I know Wood is the logical choice, but what is his POD these days?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    JJ for Scott.

I know Wood is the logical choice, but what is his POD these days?
    Yeah I don't mind it.

Wood would need to get back to intercepting/going 3rd man up for him to be really valuable. He did it a few times in the VFL game I saw but it's not his 1 'wood' any longer.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don't mind it.

Wood would need to get back to intercepting/going 3rd man up for him to be really valuable. He did it a few times in the VFL game I saw but it's not his 1 'wood; any longer.
    I think Wood also has value as a lockdown defender on mediums or smalls and potentially in the rotation with Bailey Williams on a tall if needed (although Wood on a tall is not preferred). No great need this week but Charlie Cameron could be a job for Easton the following week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think Wood also has value as a lockdown defender on mediums or smalls and potentially in the rotation with Bailey Williams on a tall if needed (although Wood on a tall is not preferred). No great need this week but Charlie Cameron could be a job for Easton the following week.
    Yep, agree. He is better suited on smalls these days. Either way, I think he or JJ is going to provide more than Scott right now.

Crozier's peeling off as third man up is a decent loss. We're holding up ok considering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'll take a 24 point plus win but I'm hoping for 40+
    I too will accept a 24 point win, but I am certainly hoping for significantly more. North have lost by 52 and 59 so I want at least 60.

However, when I look at our record any win will be better than what we have achieved with Bevo in charge.

Since 2015 we have reversed the result from the 1st 2 rounds in round 3.
    EVERY SINGLE YEAR
    2 wins followed by a loss or 2 losses followed by a win.

We need to turn up and WIN.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    JJ for Scott.
    Thats my preferred move

Scott doesnt look a bad player, but was quiet, and I strongly believe JJ is in our best 22, and if hes doing the right stuff then Id like to see him re-introduced - We are getting more contributions from our backline and midfield to the point where JJ wont be target #1 or #2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Thats my preferred move

Scott doesnt look a bad player, but was quiet, and I strongly believe JJ is in our best 22, and if hes doing the right stuff then Id like to see him re-introduced - We are getting more contributions from our backline and midfield to the point where JJ wont be target #1 or #2
    This exposes another issue with the sub rule. How do you justify bringing in JJ for Scott on no exposed form and a week without match fitness.
    I'm ok with your idea but wary of the above.