Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  61
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 3 Vs North Melbourne 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    This exposes another issue with the sub rule. How do you justify bringing in JJ for Scott on no exposed form and a week without match fitness.
    I'm ok with your idea but wary of the above.
    If the VFL game is scheduled before the AFL, I'm not sure why we don't just play the planned sub for half a game. At least they get game time to prove themselves and also get some match conditioning.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'll take a 24 point plus win but I'm hoping for 40+
    A 24 point win against a team that has just cleared the decks and gone into total rebuilding mode would simply confirm that we are not contenders. Nothing less than double that is acceptable.

Post Thanks / Like

Every team is capable of stretching another these days. Good teams sometimes get beaten by lesser teams, or at the very least tested by them.

At this stage of the season a win is a win, and there's a huge amount of water to go under the bridge before we start worrying about whether we're contenders or otherwise.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes GVGjr, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Every team is capable of stretching another these days. Good teams sometimes get beaten by lesser teams, or at the very least tested by them.

At this stage of the season a win is a win, and there's a huge amount of water to go under the bridge before we start worrying about whether we're contenders or otherwise.
    I mean, you’re right, it’s too early to tell how good and how bad teams are. We normally don’t know until halfway through a season. Some teams start fast and drop off. Others are steady. Others work into the season. Adelaide were favourites for the bottom two or three spots and look at them right now. I’ll reserve my judgement of north until the game. I simply don’t want to see a wooden spoon team play like one and we just plod away to a four goal win. However if north put in a decent effort and we win by 4 goals, I’d absolutely take it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    I mean, you’re right, it’s too early to tell how good and how bad teams are. We normally don’t know until halfway through a season. Some teams start fast and drop off. Others are steady. Others work into the season. Adelaide were favourites for the bottom two or three spots and look at them right now. I’ll reserve my judgement of north until the game. I simply don’t want to see a wooden spoon team play like one and we just plod away to a four goal win. However if north put in a decent effort and we win by 4 goals, I’d absolutely take it.
    This is pretty much my approach as well.

I remember in 2019 we went from starting well at 2-0, out of finals contention at round 10 at 4-6, into the finals as one of the hottest teams going around with people suggesting there was a 2016 feeling about us.......and then bundled out in a meek performance by the eventual grand finalists that most had written off.

We're going to have good days and bad days, or good quarters and bad quarters within matches and what is most important to me is how we can minimise the bad and scramble to always be in it more often than not if things aren't going our way. That's how we got to 15 wins in 2016 and that's what I want to see this year more so than beating up on the competition's minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    A 24 point win against a team that has just cleared the decks and gone into total rebuilding mode would simply confirm that we are not contenders. Nothing less than double that is acceptable.
    Winning big is not as easy or as straight forward as some think. I'd like to think we will get closer to a 40 point result but I'll still be happy enough with a 24 point result.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah you can't say what you'd be happy with until you see the game. If we are up by 45 at 3qtr time and just take our foot off the gas I'd be frustrated.

To be honest any win will make me happy enough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    JJ for Scott.

I know Wood is the logical choice, but what is his POD these days?
    JJ really struggles to defend one on one. That’s why I prefer Wood over JJ.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    This exposes another issue with the sub rule. How do you justify bringing in JJ for Scott on no exposed form and a week without match fitness.
    I'm ok with your idea but wary of the above.
    They've seen him in VFL practice games the two weeks before, and know where he is at physically.

Id reckon they'd have data that would know whether he was fit enough to play or not

After that, Im just happy to back JJ in that he can produce

13. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    JJ really struggles to defend one on one. That’s why I prefer Wood over JJ.
    Wood given his leadership qualities would be an ideal replacement if fit. Also provides marking support to both Gardner and Keath who struggle against high marking tall forwards. The move of Bailey Dale and continuing fine form of Williams has helped improve our defence

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Wood given his leadership qualities would be an ideal replacement if fit. Also provides marking support to both Gardner and Keath who struggle against high marking tall forwards. The move of Bailey Dale and continuing fine form of Williams has helped improve our defence
    Hey NBP do you think Crozier and Wood get games or is it one or the other when both are available accounting for no injuries and the continued form of Bailey Dale?

It's almost unthinkable that Bailey Dale would keep either of these guys out, but he's the incumbent and it's his spot to lose. I think that we are better with Wood and Crozier in the side, but it's a squeeze.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Hey NBP do you think Crozier and Wood get games or is it one or the other when both are available accounting for no injuries and the continued form of Bailey Dale?

It's almost unthinkable that Bailey Dale would keep either of these guys out, but he's the incumbent and it's his spot to lose. I think that we are better with Wood and Crozier in the side, but it's a squeeze.
    We seem to have an abundance of back flankers to choose from. Crozier should be a lock in when fit. Duryea is another doing well to hold his place. Bailey Dale may well have the confidence to play forward again. I always felt that Richards was best in defence but is out injured at the moment. JJ presents another problem but still to be convinced he is in our best 22.

17. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Khamis is another one to consider in that 3rd tall/intercepting role. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a game soon if his form on the weekend was anything to go by. He was Footscray's best marking defender by far and that group included Wood.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

19. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Wood should be trying to be Dale Morris like these days. If he doesn't/can't intercept mark like he used to do so tell him to model his game on Moz. Play tall, play small, possessions don't matter, 1%ers do. Leave the intercepting to Williams, Crozier and Keath. The job he done on Charlie Cameron last year shows he already has the versatility like Moz had to play on the small nifty types if need be. Concentrate on being a more dour shut down type defender than a high flying flamboyant intercept marking one.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Agree this has to be a statement game for us. We need to frank the respect earned from our first two wins. The top teams gap a team like North. Historically though we seem to find a way for ordinary teams to stay in the game.
    We need to win and win well, not scrappily.

No disrespect to North at all, and not taking them lightly, but winning well against them on Friday would represent another test of our growth, or otherwise.
    I agree with this. I think its one thing to have a fabulous win against the WCE- hard fought, come from behind, type win. Good sides though will look at NM and eat them for breakfast. Are we a good side or have we just been in front for the last 2 weeks when the siren sounded. This week tells us as much about the players application and mental toughness - to do a job even when it should be easy - as the WCE win did.

22. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post