Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  61
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 3 Vs North Melbourne 2021

IN: Wood
    OUT: Scott

I am liking what McNeil is showing and he has a point of difference to West and Cavarra.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

2. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Wally but he was terrible yesterday

Post Thanks / Like

Out Scott, in Wood.

Thought McNeil did enough to justify another run. If Wally wasn’t VC I’d say he would be on the block

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Out Scott, in Wood.

Thought McNeil did enough to justify another run. If Wally wasn’t VC I’d say he would be on the block
    Wasn't his best game, and even though Wally didn't kick goals, he was in a spot to give himself the opportunity to kick them. One right on 50 - really was too far, and the other two he should have done better. However, he did create a couple of goals, eg in 2nd quarter. He had 15 disposals, half contested, so I wouldn't drop him at this stage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    -The dropped mark close to goal in the third (mcneil kick?)

then advocating for a player to remain in the side who was rated by champion data (stats) as being worse than non contributors

Re Wally :
    Good part is he made good position for all of those chances.
    Bad part for him is these chances are so limited he simply must take them with the pressure coming from Cav and others good VFL performance.
    I think he will stay in the side but he's definitely fringe 22 at the moment.
    I don’t understand the reference to a player being worse than someone who didn’t play. Can you explain what you mean.

on the AFL stats website Naughton had 8 marks, followed by Wallis with 7. He was definitely in the game. Some forwards can regularly kick goals from outside the boundary, but not many. I thought a few players missed easier shots, at least from better angles, in the first half. Fortunately the goal kicking improved in the last quarter. Maybe he can get a few next week now that the others have shown him how.

With reference to the dropped mark, at the ground it didn’t look that easy. It was dropping in a way which meant Wallis was looking up into the lights in a contested play. Possible but not probable.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    With reference to the dropped mark, at the ground it didn’t look that easy. It was dropping in a way which meant Wallis was looking up into the lights in a contested play. Possible but not probable.
    If Bruce dropped that mark, you (and I) would have rightly hung, drawn and quartered him.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

9. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Wasn't his best game, and even though Wally didn't kick goals, he was in a spot to give himself the opportunity to kick them. One right on 50 - really was too far, and the other two he should have done better. However, he did create a couple of goals, eg in 2nd quarter. He had 15 disposals, half contested, so I wouldn't drop him at this stage.
    If you're referencing the one in the last qtr I'm thinking that kick was more like 40m than 50m... and he kicked it about 35m.

He's a very good set shot from inside 35m (especially early in games before fatigue sets in), but outside that range he's iffy... Wally is a limited player and he needs to take his chances more so than others, and that hasn't happened so far this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t understand the reference to a player being worse than someone who didn’t play. Can you explain what you mean.

on the AFL stats website Naughton had 8 marks, followed by Wallis with 7. He was definitely in the game. Some forwards can regularly kick goals from outside the boundary, but not many. I thought a few players missed easier shots, at least from better angles, in the first half. Fortunately the goal kicking improved in the last quarter. Maybe he can get a few next week now that the others have shown him how.

Think you're being kind re the mark I reckon he needs to grab those.
    With the player ratings they take into account all of the player involvements and use an algorithm (which weighs many factors) to give that a score.

Wally did enough negative things to mean his combined score (positives + negatives) gave him an overall negative rating.

It's impossible to find their magic formula but it is the industry standard from what I understand.

This is the best info I could find although it's old (afl need to update their data).

Link

Here are the ranking points for yesterday. Seems his second half was costly according to their system.

https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating/...333228546?s=19

It's certainly not what I'm using in my analysis of why he's out of form but it's note worthy none the less.
    Also bemusing how according the them he's made us worse! Maybe fantasy footy is their only use!

I'm a big Mitch fan as a person, however on the field this year he's just looking devoid of confidence in big moments and not having the same impact as last year (so far).

To be honest I think I mention it mainly because I want him to do well.

Watch him kick 5 against Norf!
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 29-03-2021 at 09:28 PM.

12. Thanks Danjul thanked for this post
    Likes The bulldog tragician, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch is pretty much a stay at home forward nowadays and hasn't kicked a goal in any game this year, including the 2 pre-season outings. That's a red flag. Needs a good hitout against North and needs to hit the scoreboard.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

14. Likes DOG GOD, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    If you're referencing the one in the last qtr I'm thinking that kick was more like 40m than 50m... and he kicked it about 35m.

He's a very good set shot from inside 35m (especially early in games before fatigue sets in), but outside that range he's iffy... Wally is a limited player and he needs to take his chances more so than others, and that hasn't happened so far this year.
    He should have kicked that one.

There was one up the other end where he was 50 out and had no chance. Should have also nailed the one on the goal line. That was a poor effort. You could just walk up and bang it on your left boot - my mother could have kicked that and she is 92

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Likes DOG GOD, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I might be warming to the idea of Sweet coming and give Martin a rest this week after a short break.
    I haven't seen much of North so far so how is Goldstein been tracking?
    Could this be a game that we can give Sweet a go to see if he can take Martin's mantle in the future?
    I would like to get so games into Sweet and also preserve Martin for more crucial games.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I might be warming to the idea of Sweet coming and give Martin a rest this week after a short break.
    I haven't seen much of North so far so how is Goldstein been tracking?
    Could this be a game that we can give Sweet a go to see if he can take Martin's mantle in the future?
    I would like to get so games into Sweet and also preserve Martin for more crucial games.
    we are only two games in, I don’t think Martin needs a rest yet

Post Thanks / Like

Grantysghost

Thanks for the link. It filled in half an hour trying to match the details with the stats in the Age, the only one I could find with quarter by quarter details.

in quarters 2 and 3 Bruce had a total of 1 disposal. (I think he received a handball and snapped a good goal) In that time he generated 3 points.

same two quarters Duryea had 10 disposals and generated 3 points.

Wallis had 9 disposals and generated -2 points.

Just 3 examples. Makes no sense to me.

21. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Grantysghost

Thanks for the link. It filled in half an hour trying to match the details with the stats in the Age, the only one I could find with quarter by quarter details.

in quarters 2 and 3 Bruce had a total of 1 disposal. (I think he received a handball and snapped a good goal) In that time he generated 3 points.

same two quarters Duryea had 10 disposals and generated 3 points.

Wallis had 9 disposals and generated -2 points.

Just 3 examples. Makes no sense to me.
    It's some sort of magic formula they keep hidden from the rest of us

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly I love Mitch, the ultimate team man and son of the west. I believe and hope he’ll turn this around.

BUT:

Stats don’t always align with what we see and don’t always reflect common sense. I thought Mitch struggled badly. We were very near the dropped mark, it was regulation. There aren’t really stats for being too slow in the chase, for not getting to dangerous contests, for somehow oozing lack of confidence, yet these were all painfully evident, whatever the stats say.

He’s too proud a guy not to fight back, but it was glaringly obvious that Mitch is out of touch, big time.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

24. Likes Topdog liked this post