Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  76
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 5 Vs Gold Coast 2021

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I wonder if also we need to thank Dunkley for the now differing view on the value of rucks?
    Of course English making the most of his time up forward helps reinforce this with Bevo.

As you say, Bevo had no problems with keeping English in the ruck last year even when most of us could see he was struggling.
    We said it at the time that it was a learning opportunity the Dunkley situation and judging the fact that Sweet comes in this week, 100% Bevo has taken a few things on board. Tim will ruck alone on occasions still for sure but we may have found like sweet spot we are after.

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Bevo finally sees how this 3 pronged fwd line works, and he’s not going to hinder that if a key player misses. Looks like it will be a “like for like”. If a ruck misses, one comes in. That’s common sense. About time.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Sub will come from: Cordy, Cavarra, Jong, Lipinski

I doubt Lipinski is used after warming the bench last week, and I can't see Cordy suiting the role. Looks like it'll be one of Cav or Jongy as the sub, we'll know as of 11.20 tomorrow.
    Not ideal that if Jong or Cav are the sub and they don’t get a run that they wouldn’t have played for 3 weeks come our next game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I wonder if also we need to thank Dunkley for the now differing view on the value of rucks?
    Of course English making the most of his time up forward helps reinforce this with Bevo.

As you say, Bevo had no problems with keeping English in the ruck last year even when most of us could see he was struggling.
    Bevo's stubborness is what scares me most of all. He's obviously brilliant and is an innovative coach but his inability to make selction changes when required over a period of years concerns me, actually it keeps me awake at night.

Some of the issues I have had in past are not new to us and maybe others feel the same way. First and foremost is Bevo obviously placing no value on ruckman role. We drove Tim into the ground and were happy to see a great player and clubman Roughead go to the Pies for donuts. Some will think I'm being harsh here but playing Gardner for all of last year and continuing with this into this year while a far more talented Lew Young was waiting in the wings. Lew Young looks like an upcoming Tom Barrass to me, an outstanding second tall prospect with clean hands under a high ball.

Bruce being played all last year with Schache in the wings. Extremely frustrating. Also, I'm not getting how West is not in this team at the moment either. I'm still really concerned about team selection on a week by week basis and while we are 4 zip I'm pretty sure that it has absolutely nothing to do with McNeil Gardner and Scott. We have better players who can take these spots and make us an even better team.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes GVGjr, Happy Days, soupman, DOG GOD, G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Not ideal that if Jong or Cav are the sub and they don’t get a run that they wouldn’t have played for 3 weeks come our next game.
    Agreed. Also tough on Lippa after missing out on game time last week. Playing after the VFL side makes it tough, hopefully we can get a more accommodating fixture as season progresses.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Bevo's stubborness is what scares me most of all. He's obviously brilliant and is an innovative coach but his inability to make selction changes when required over a period of years concerns me, actually it keeps me awake at night.

Some of the issues I have had in past are not new to us and maybe others feel the same way. First and foremost is Bevo obviously placing no value on ruckman role. We drove Tim into the ground and were happy to see a great player and clubman Roughead go to the Pies for donuts. Some will think I'm being harsh here but playing Gardner for all of last year and continuing with this into this year while a far more talented Lew Young was waiting in the wings. Lew Young looks like an upcoming Tom Barrass to me, an outstanding second tall prospect with clean hands under a high ball.

Bruce being played all last year with Schache in the wings. Extremely frustrating. Also, I'm not getting how West is not in this team at the moment either. I'm still really concerned about team selection on a week by week basis and while we are 4 zip I'm pretty sure that it has absolutely nothing to do with McNeil Gardner and Scott. We have better players who can take these spots and make us an even better team.
    I think many believe the selected side is largely on form and I think there has been flaws in that assessment.
    Just playing Bruce last year with almost zero input, putting Dunkley into the ruck after and extended break with an injury, ignoring JT and Young and running English into the ground highlights a level of inflexibility. That said, he's clearly come to terms with things this year.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I am coming up to pace with views on Bevo here. Very interesting and seemingly accurate like a flawed genius.
    Yes a stickler also sticking with Roarke Smith now delisted.
    Obviously a non negotiable for Beveridge is absolute commitment at training which we supporters can no longer witness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    I am coming up to pace with views on Bevo here. Very interesting and seemingly accurate like a flawed genius.
    Yes a stickler also sticking with Roarke Smith now delisted.
    Obviously a non negotiable for Beveridge is absolute commitment at training which we supporters can no longer witness.
    Roarke is still a listed player, but it appears his hair may have been delisted.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

11. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I think there's as much of "it's because it's the way we're playing this year" as it is anything with respect to selecting Sweet. If we didn't have Martin we mostly likely wouldn't be playing two rucks and Sweet wouldn't have gotten a game. If we don't have Martin much going forward a change to the overall set up would be better than an even money bet.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    FWIW I think there's as much of "it's because it's the way we're playing this year" as it is anything with respect to selecting Sweet. If we didn't have Martin we mostly likely wouldn't be playing two rucks and Sweet wouldn't have gotten a game. If we don't have Martin much going forward a change to the overall set up would be better than an even money bet.
    I definitely think the fact GC did not have a proper ruck corp influenced the resting of Martin. Sweet was great at the actual ruck contest but the fact that only Williams and Cavarra had less time on ground suggests that he has little use right now outside of the ruck and that his limitations in other roles affects our ability to manage our rotations.
    If he could add some more strings to his bow, he could really add to our team long term, and enable English to stay forward for longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I definitely think the fact GC did not have a proper ruck corp influenced the resting of Martin. Sweet was great at the actual ruck contest but the fact that only Williams and Cavarra had less time on ground suggests that he has little use right now outside of the ruck and that his limitations in other roles affects our ability to manage our rotations.
    If he could add some more strings to his bow, he could really add to our team long term, and enable English to stay forward for longer.
    Yeah I wasn't getting into Sweet with my post, more so just saying that he probably doesn't get a game if we hadn't spent the summer setting up with Martin and English and you're right, this was the week to do it.

Whether that means Bevo is still stubborn or whatever, I don't really know. I guess it's a long season and plenty can play out over time.

15. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I wasn't getting into Sweet with my post, more so just saying that he probably doesn't get a game if we hadn't spent the summer setting up with Martin and English and you're right, this was the week to do it.

Whether that means Bevo is still stubborn or whatever, I don't really know. I guess it's a long season and plenty can play out over time.
    I think you're right, if we don't get Martin then all the sliding door options are in play, and maybe we're 3-2, and without English playing huge minutes up forward we probably aren't considering playing a pure ruckman in Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I think you're right, if we don't get Martin then all the sliding door options are in play, and maybe we're 3-2, and without English playing huge minutes up forward we probably aren't considering playing a pure ruckman in Sweet.
    Nobody can deny that English getting ball and goals forward of centre has been a bit of a streak through the competition. It's been amazing for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody can deny that English getting ball and goals forward of centre has been a bit of a streak through the competition. It's been amazing for us.
    He's done this intermittently across the last two years i.e hit the scoreboard when moved forward. He just hasn't played enough minutes thete to really make a impact. Clearly that's changed.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.