Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  76
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 5 Vs Gold Coast 2021

Surely Lippa either needs to come into the 22 or play VFL? Can't have him potentially sitting on the pine all game for a second week in a row.

Dogs reveal Daniel replacement, confirm debut for young ruckman

THE LADDER-LEADING Western Bulldogs will welcome back star defender Hayden Crozier for his first game of the season in Saturday's clash against Gold Coast.

Crozier has recovered from surgery on a shoulder injury suffered in a practice match against Melbourne.

And his availability couldn't have come at a better time for the Dogs with All-Australian backman Caleb Daniel suspended for a dangerous tackle on Brisbane's Tom Berry.

"We know what Caleb brings for us with his creativity and he's become such a great small defender as well so he's a big loss," Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge told reporters on Friday.

"But obviously Hayden is a pretty handy replacement."

The Bulldogs have had one of the most effective ruck tandems in the competition over the opening month in Stefan Martin and Tim English, although one of those are likely to be rested this week with the Dogs confirming a debut for 23-year-old ruckman Jordon Sweet.

And with the 13th-placed Suns missing their No.1 ruckman Jarrod Witts because of a knee injury, Beveridge admitted that scenario could provide an advantage for his side.

"What we see with Gold Coast is they've always been a very, very combative workman-like team," he said.

"I think they're the No.1 clearance side in the competition even though they haven't necessarily been winning games.

"So if we can get some kind of advantage with where those hits go and understand where they're going ... then maybe (it will be an advantage) but time will tell.

"They've lost a couple of key players in recent times which is affecting the way that they set up ... but what it won't affect is how hard they work and they'll really put us under pressure and we need to be able to absorb that."

The Marvel Stadium fixture is significant for the Bulldogs as it not only presents them with the chance to start a season with five wins for the first time since 1946, but it's also captain Marcus Bontempelli's 150th AFL game.

"What an amazing player he's been for our football club," Beveridge said.

"Occasionally I remind people that his peers in the cohort voted him as the second-best captain in the competition last year in his first year (as skipper) behind 'Pendles' (Collingwood's Scott Pendlebury)."

Meanwhile, Beveridge was agonising over whether to make Patrick Lipinski the medical sub for the third game in a row or select him in the starting 22.

"It's a bloody difficult one," said Beveridge, who conceded it was a good problem to have given how much pressure there was on for spots in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say Lippa is dropped to the VFL based on that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Must be tough. He and Cordy did a long session after the game out on the oval. At least 30 - 45 minutes of running.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see Sweet in.

I still think Cavarra deserves reward for effort, particularly considering Scott and McNeil have struggled.
    W00F!

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like Lippa in and Scott medical sub.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Mofra, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty happy for Sweet to come in for this exact game. Excited to see what he can produce at the top level, particularly around the ground.

Looks like Bevo is a convert to the 3 tall forward structure which is pretty incredible after the last few years.
    I think the two ruck structure he's favoured for most of his time at the dogs (Cam-head, Boyd & Roughy) is working really well for us so will be the preferred structure this year and next.
    English's mobility helps us do this Two lumbering types wouldn't work.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In: Sweet, Crozier
    Out: Martin (managed), Daniel (suspended), Lipinski (omitted)
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

11. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sensible changes.

Hope Sweet has fun dominating hit outs and will be interested to see how our midfield read his ruck work.

Post Thanks / Like

Sub will come from: Cordy, Cavarra, Jong, Lipinski

I doubt Lipinski is used after warming the bench last week, and I can't see Cordy suiting the role. Looks like it'll be one of Cav or Jongy as the sub, we'll know as of 11.20 tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Would have liked to have seen Lippa in but hey we are 4-0 thus think the MC know what they are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Put on the after burners fed by rocket fuel in the second half.
    Bont in his 150th BOG.

Post Thanks / Like

Good ins. Nice for Croz to have a run around before we play GWS next week. Awesome to see Sweet get a shot - hope he grabs it with both hands a gets a real taste

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I think the two ruck structure he's favoured for most of his time at the dogs (Cam-head, Boyd & Roughy) is working really well for us so will be the preferred structure this year and next.
    English's mobility helps us do this Two lumbering types wouldn't work.
    Outside of 2016 with Boyd/Roughy, Bevo definitely has not favoured a two ruck structure during his time at the Dogs. Campbell didn’t play more than 9 games in any year with us and we’ve had to endure the last 3 years of Timmy basically getting his arse handed to him one out, along with a rotating cast of mids to fill the void.

We could have easily gone in with the exact structure we’ve named this week at any point in 2020, yet Bevo decided not to even when English was cooked towards the end of the season. I posted elsewhere that a major benefit of Martin coming in had proved that rucks do work. Sanity has finally prevailed.

19. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting the Tigers still use the one. I think the biggest problem we have had is that the one we had wasn't that great in the role.

Post Thanks / Like

Outside of 2016 with Boyd/Roughy, Bevo definitely has not favoured a two ruck structure during his time at the Dogs. Campbell didn’t play more than 9 games in any year with us and we’ve had to endure the last 3 years of Timmy basically getting his arse handed to him one out, along with a rotating cast of mids to fill the void.

We could have easily gone in with the exact structure we’ve named this week at any point in 2020, yet Bevo decided not to even when English was cooked towards the end of the season. I posted elsewhere that a major benefit of Martin coming in had proved that rucks do work. Sanity has finally prevailed.
    I wonder if also we need to thank Dunkley for the now differing view on the value of rucks?
    Of course English making the most of his time up forward helps reinforce this with Bevo.

As you say, Bevo had no problems with keeping English in the ruck last year even when most of us could see he was struggling.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"