Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  83
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 6 Vs Giants 2021

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Giants have confirmed Flynn will be playing this week so looking likely that Mumford will be rested. Good for us.
    That surprises me.

I would have thought that against us of all sides, they'd want Mumford playing.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    That surprises me.

I would have thought that against us of all sides, they'd want Mumford playing.
    From all reports, his knees and ankles are held together by duct tape so it might just be impossible to roll him out again until he's had a spell.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely Sweet does not stay in the team?

Two confirmed ins for Giants clash

Western Bulldogs senior coach Luke Beveridge has confirmed both Caleb Daniel and Stefan Martin will return for Friday night’s blockbuster against GWS.

Speaking to media ahead of training on Wednesday, Beveridge said the team’s depth at the moment means there are still decisions to be made, before locking in the final team tomorrow night.

“There were some lads last week who played extremely well in the (VFL), and are knocking on the door for selection,” Beveridge said.

“Obviously we’ll play Caleb coming off the one-week suspension, and Stef will come back in. We’ve just got to work out whether we play both Stef and ‘Sweety’ (Jordon Sweet), and keep Tim (English) forward or not.”

Beveridge was pleased with the work rate of key forward Josh Schache in the VFL. He kicked five goals from 19 touches in Footscray’s season-opening win on Saturday.

“(Josh) worked extremely hard and seemed to be on the end of everything - he had a really impressive game,” Beveridge said.

“The four goals that he didn’t kick, he’d usually kick two or three of those so he’s playing well enough – it’s just that our bigger guys are going extremely well. There’s pressure on for spots so only time will tell, but (he won’t be in) this week.”

For just the second time in club history, the Bulldogs have started the season 5-0, sitting in first place on the ladder with a healthy percentage.

While Beveridge said it’s been a great start to the season so far, his side understands what they need to do to stay at the top.

“I think our players have realised that to be one of the better teams in the competition, you’ve got to be as combative and competitive as the next - a few years ago we probably became a bit vulnerable when our most contested players and experienced players went out of the team through injury,” Beveridge said.

“There’s no doubt that our team (now) more than ever, is equipped from an experience point of view to sustain this run, which we’re doing at the moment.

“We just look forward to trying to get this sixth win on the board against a team (in GWS) that has changed a little bit, but is playing some pretty impressive football.”

The Bulldogs and Giants will meet at Manuka Oval at 7.50pm on Friday night.

Post Thanks / Like

Cameron considering playing 4 tall forwards by bringing in Hogan to play alongside Riccardi, Finlayson and Himmelberg. Williams out is a blow with his ability to play tall if needed. I guess Wood and Crozier will step have to up if the giants go this route.

Perryman expected to return as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Cameron considering playing 4 tall forwards by bringing in Hogan to play alongside Riccardi, Finlayson and Himmelberg. Williams out is a blow with his ability to play tall if needed. I guess Wood and Crozier will step have to up if the giants go this route.

Not much forward pressure with that group. I'd back our defence to run them ragged.

Cameron confirmed that Mumford is a definite out, too. Very happy with that.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Likes Ghost Dog, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Hogan plays his best football against the bulldogs (has done so as a Demon and Docker).
    We need to get them in red-time in this game. They'll go tall in their F50 and neither Mummy (likely out) nor Flynn can ruck 90% of the time. Martin will be fresh and English is a helluva chop-out so we run their rucks ragged and our B rotation midfield should be able to find space.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Whoever the Giants roll out this Friday, I say this:

9. Likes bornadog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For the first time in years. I have no fear playing GWS this week. We will win comfortably and without Mummy we will have no injuries.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

11. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we go in with right attitude we should beat them. Thinking optimistically looking forward Thug Greene’s visage when they lose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper Bulldogs View Post
    For the first time in years. I have no fear playing GWS this week. We will win comfortably and without Mummy we will have no injuries.
    I would agree with you if were playing at Marvel, roof closed. However given the conditions are going to be cold with the potential for the ball to be slippery I am leaning towards this being a somewhat tight game. I still think our class will prevail but it will be within a 20 point margin.

Post Thanks / Like

For those interested in the conditions, it's going to be a sunny 17C day but like most Canberra nights, it'll drop down to 0 or around that overnight, so it should be dewy and therefore slippery come game time. Will get a good indicator of the conditions with the VFL game tomorrow night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    For those interested in the conditions, it's going to be a sunny 17C day but like most Canberra nights, it'll drop down to 0 or around that overnight, so it should be dewy and therefore slippery come game time. Will get a good indicator of the conditions with the VFL game tomorrow night.
    The VFL game is at Blacktown.

I would expect colder conditions in Canberra, although I am not familiar with Blacktown.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    The VFL game is at Blacktown.

I would expect colder conditions in Canberra, although I am not familiar with Blacktown.
    My bad, assumed it would be in the same place. That's a little unfortunate.

17. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Blacktown will not be anywhere near as cold as Canberra (35-year Sydney native here)

Post Thanks / Like

From The Age: (these articles make me so nervous)

Bulldog vows never again after Giants ‘bullying’

Western Bulldogs defender Hayden Crozier has conceded his team was bullied by Greater Western Sydney two years ago as the Dogs insist captain Marcus Bontempelli is ready to handle any physical punishment the Giants intend to inflict when the two fierce rivals clash tomorrow night.

That the two teams do not like each other has been obvious since the Bulldogs unexpectedly toppled the Giants in the 2016 preliminary final on their way to a breakthrough flag, and there has been much spite in their matches since.

The Giants went after Bontempelli in the 2019 elimination final and tension overflowed in round three last year at Marvel Stadium when almost all 44 players were involved in a brawl either side of Tom Liberatore’s goal after the three-quarter-time siren, in a match the Dogs won by four goals. Crozier said this week that those two matches had been turning points for the Dogs.

‘‘We talk about the rivalry and how that’s built over the last few years. That was almost the turning point for us.

‘‘We knew that they were going to come out physical and they pretty much bullied us for that whole game,’’ Crozier said.

‘‘And that was something that we didn’t want to stand for as a club, being bullied.

‘‘There was always that [knock], ‘Are they tough enough?’ The media noise about us and not being tough enough in the contest, and especially in that game.

‘‘And I think that was the turning point last year [in round three], we obviously came out with a strong focus to be able to be physical and obviously go ball-first but strong tackling, strong work off the ball, and we obviously played well last year and had their measure last year, but we’re expecting a pretty physical challenge again.’’

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said yesterday his team, enjoying a 5-0 start to the season for the first time in 75 years, had grown considerably as a result of these battles, and would be ready for any fireworks in Canberra.

‘‘They have really challenged us from a physical point of view historically and [we] came back reasonably hard and stood our ground at the start of the last year, which was an important game for us when you consider how our year started and what was going on around us with the pandemic. It got us back on track,’’ he said.

‘‘I think our players have realised that to be one of the better teams in the competition you have to be as combative and as competitive as the next.

‘‘We, probably a few years ago, became a bit vulnerable when our most contested players and our experienced players went out of the team through injury. I don’t think it necessarily took its toll but you do feel uneasy about it for a period of time.

‘‘There is no doubt our team is as equipped as ever from an experience point of view to sustain a run, which we are doing at the moment.’’

One man now better equipped is the masterful Bontempelli, who had been targeted by the Giants after an incident with Nick Haynes in round 22, 2019, which left the Giants defender nursing a fractured larynx.

Bontempelli was roughed up in the 2019 elimination final while being restricted to only 13 disposals.

‘‘If he is not at his best with his outcomes statistically in a game, it doesn’t mean he hasn’t tried any less because he is just such a great competitor,’’ Beveridge said.

‘‘But he has been central to some of the friction historically.

‘‘I think that was one of the critical things from our group last year is they embraced that a little bit more, the fact that they weren’t as aware of it as they should have been in the final of the previous year. But I think with the depth of our group and what they have been doing, I am sure GWS will spread the physical love further than Marcus.”

The Dogs will welcome back playmaker Caleb Daniel (suspension) and ruckman Stef Martin (managed) but Beveridge said Josh Schache will not be recalled despite a strong VFL opener. They are debating whether Jordon Sweet, who debuted in place of Martin last week, retains his spot.

Giants protagonist Toby Greene missed last year’s clash but has taken his leadership to a new level since becoming fill-in skipper. After a rugged start to the season, the Giants have won two straight, and Greene has been instrumental.

Crozier was full of praise for the Giants talisman.

‘‘I’ve spent a little bit of time on him,’’ Crozier said. ‘‘I played Vic Metro with him in under-18s so I know him quite well.

‘‘He’s got a real physical edge to his game that really gets the rest of their players up and about, so we know we’re going to be in for a tough challenge.’’
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic