Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  43
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned Round 1 2021 v Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    He's like a more polished Ben Hudson for mine.

Does all the team things and is a workhorse in the ruck, but is also reasonably skilled.

Always liked him at Brisbane and have really liked what I've seen from him so far. Seems like a terrific bloke.
    He fits the side perfectly. A big ruck to support English (like say Mumford) probably wouldn't get a game but Martin has enough to his general game to offer the team and keep Bevo happy while still providing the strong support there we've been lacking

2. Likes EasternWest, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He fits the side perfectly. A big ruck to support English (like say Mumford) probably wouldn't get a game but Martin has enough to his general game to offer the team and keep Bevo happy while still providing the strong support there we've been lacking
    The upside of Martin and English working is that it proves the concept works, so hopefully once Martin is done in a year or so, we actually replace him rather than letting English go it alone again.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The upside of Martin and English working is that it proves the concept works, so hopefully once Martin is done in a year or so, we actually replace him rather than letting English go it alone again.
    Saints proved the model last year with Ryder and Marshall too. Who'd have though the ruck was an important role....
    The dam wall has busted!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I thought he was terrific last night. I watched the replay this morning and I think Duck mentioned that he is such a good player because he knows when to mark and when to spoil, and he did this to great effect last night. He's kind of two players in one. He has the ability to take intercept marks yet has honed his craft as a lock down defender the past two seasons. He's not awesome at the latter yet, but his heightened decision making and ability to read the ball through the air were first rate last night.
    fair enough, i'll reserve judgement until i see the replay. the mistakes do have a tendency of sticking out at the game.

Worth mentioning I most definitely rate him as a player in general
    The dam wall has busted!

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I thought he was terrific last night. I watched the replay this morning and I think Duck mentioned that he is such a good player because he knows when to mark and when to spoil, and he did this to great effect last night. He's kind of two players in one. He has the ability to take intercept marks yet has honed his craft as a lock down defender the past two seasons. He's not awesome at the latter yet, but his heightened decision making and ability to read the ball through the air were first rate last night.
    I thought he was terrific too. Made some silly skill errors towards the end but otherwise he was tremendous.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    English will never be an effective 70-80% ruckman (unless he is against a big slow gumby ruckman like Mumford or Andrew Phillips) but he is so dangerous as a 20-30% ruckman drifting forward. Last night was vindication for the two-pronged ruck set-up, but really it should have been implemented 2 years ago and would have greatly benefited English's development in the last 2 years.

Stef Martin was so effective in blunting the natural ruck craft of Grundy at stoppages last night - it allowed our mids to be positioned much more aggressively at stoppages, and we absolutely dominated CP's and clearances as a result, not to mentioned field position. Speaking of Grundy, he is 1 game into a 7 year $1 million a season contract. That contract has the capacity to blow up their list management - it already has to an extent.
    Last edited by Sedat; 20-03-2021 at 03:01 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes EasternWest, GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Al’s a gun. If his disposal was a little cleaner he’d be the complete package, but a strong one on one defender who can intercept is more than enough.

On the same track, I’m officially no longer nervous when Gardner is one out or in a contest. His kicking is still horrible but baby steps I guess.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Al’s a gun. If his disposal was a little cleaner he’d be the complete package, but a strong one on one defender who can intercept is more than enough.

On the same track, I’m officially no longer nervous when Gardner is one out or in a contest. His kicking is still horrible but baby steps I guess.
    I would like to see him kick without the weight of the world's pressure on his shoulders. I don't know if he's a poor kick or if he's just shits himself a bit.

Otherwise he's going ok.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    English will never be an effective 70-80% ruckman (unless he is against a big slow gumby ruckman like Mumford or Andrew Phillips) but he is so dangerous as a 20-30% ruckman drifting forward. Last night was vindication for the two-pronged ruck set-up, but really it should have been implemented 2 years ago and would have greatly benefited English's development in the last 2 years.

Stef Martin was so effective in blunting the natural ruck craft of Grundy at stoppages last night - it allowed our mids to be positioned much more aggressively at stoppages, and we absolutely dominated CP's and clearances as a result, not to mentioned field position. Speaking of Grundy, he is 1 game into a 7 year $1 million a season contract. That contract has the capacity to blow up their list management - it already has to an extent.
    Absolutely. Who should we have an eye on to replace Stef Martin? I have no idea if Sweet will make it and ideally we get someone who can step straight into Stef's role as we would be up to our ears in contention for the cup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I would like to see him kick without the weight of the world's pressure on his shoulders. I don't know if he's a poor kick or if he's just shits himself a bit.

Otherwise he's going ok.
    I think the latter.

I'm fine with Gardner. I came around to him halfway through last year. We still lack that key defender though but it's refreshing to not look at our list and pull your hair out seeing a Gowers or Lloyd type. We don't have a weak link. Yeah we have some positional problems but the players themselves are best 22 in nearly every side in the comp.

Post Thanks / Like

Has Grundy been found out? Or has he just become complacent with his mega $$$$? He was average last year too.

Post Thanks / Like

but really it should have been implemented 2 years ago and would have greatly benefited English's development in the last 2 years.
    Two years ago (December 28th 2019) the plan was Tom Boyd and Tim English, but before the start of the 2020 season, Tom decided Footy is not for him and that blew our plans.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

First it was left footers and now it's blondes.

Daniel
    Naughton
    Smith
    Hunter
    Treloar
    Wallis
    English

If i was Roarke Smith i'd be hanging about Bevo's office a lot this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post

Daniel
    Naughton
    Smith
    Hunter
    Treloar
    Wallis
    English

Implying that he doesn't anyway?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post

Daniel
    Naughton
    Smith
    Hunter
    Treloar
    Wallis
    English

Did Roarke shave his hair?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.