Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  43
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Three things you have learned Round 1 2021 v Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The decision to recruit Trengove and the then not play him is just as strange.
    Like keeping Hayes, Jong, Roarke Smith etc on the list. We'd need to cop a glut of injuries just for these blokes to get a look in.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Martin is obviously a far superior ruckman than Trengove, but in hindsight, we should have played him more in that role last year when English was clearly cooked. Giving him one game against the Tigers who turned on their best form to date and then banishing him for good wasn't the best idea, in my opinion. It was almost like 'see it doesn't work' and then moved on.
    I agree he could have been given more of a go, but he was pretty ordinary in that one game nonetheless.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    The decision to recruit Trengove and the then not play him is just as strange.
    He played over 70% of games in his first two seasons with us.....and I think was injured for a chunk in his first, so it's not like he wasn't given a thorough opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He played over 70% of games in his first two seasons with us.....and I think was injured for a chunk in his first, so it's not like he wasn't given a thorough opportunity.
    No use playing someone because they are big.

Unfortunately Trengove was past his best and if he was any good he would still be on a list.,
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He was in good enough form last year to have played more. In the leadership group one year, dropped the next and was out of favor with the MC. I suspect JT not being selected wasn't just form related.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Like keeping Hayes, Jong, Roarke Smith etc on the list. We'd need to cop a glut of injuries just for these blokes to get a look in.
    We actually dropped Hayes didn't we and then scooped him up again?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We actually dropped Hayes didn't we and then scooped him up again?
    Yes. Why?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He was in good enough form last year to have played more. In the leadership group one year, dropped the next and was out of favor with the MC. I suspect JT not being selected wasn't just form related.
    Possibly/ probably right. Though I was responding to the claim he wasn't played after he was recruited, when he was clearly given opportunities.

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly/ probably right. Though I was responding to the claim he wasn't played after he was recruited, when he was clearly given opportunities.
    You're right, he had his chances and if you recall in 2019 when he got back into the side after round 5 we started to improve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We've missed the opportunity to draft one multiple times.
    Butler and Bedendo may end up good players for us but those late picks are exactly where you find those indigenous diamonds in the rough who have been toiling away in some dusty small town.
    We passed over Winder this year for example who was rated by a few draft watchers.
    This is what has frustrated me.

We continue to grab a bunch of mid sized quickish marking forwards and ok skilled ok paced undersized mids and a bunch of third tallish extra mobile versatile defenders, and then give them all 3 years each at a minimum to prove they aren't good enough.

We then bemoan how we have been unable to uncover a competent ruck, or a key defender, or a crumbing forward. And amazingly all those positions we need are the easiest to find with late draft picks and through the rookie system. For me we need to stop picking up guys that we can't play and instead churn through guys in the positions we need.

I've covered this before but instead of the 7 years of Roarke we have had we could've given 4 genuine crumbing forwards 2 years each to prove they are good enough. Porter was on our list for 3 years for 1 of the most underwhelming games ever. I'm not even sure what we were hoping he would offer that we don't already have in abundance.

Bedendo seems high upside but we don't need a high upside mobile marking forward when we already have Naughton, Dale (at the time at least), Hannan, Weightman, Jamarra and Schache fighting for what, 3 spots at most?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

11. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And that is perfectly fine, because we'd be paying them very little (in an AFL footballer sense), and you still have to fill a list and have depth there for the seasons where 36+ players end up playing at some point (which for us....is most years).

The reality is, with rotations being reduced to 75, there's never been a better time to load up with mids/running types.

In terms of other types, we've got a pick 1 and a pick 2 - both tall forwards, who aren't currently in the best 22(23), a premiership CHF/CHB being kept out, as well as Khamis and Young who can play key tall back if needed - all out of the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    And that is perfectly fine, because we'd be paying them very little (in an AFL footballer sense), and you still have to fill a list and have depth there for the seasons where 36+ players end up playing at some point (which for us....is most years).
    We could also be paying very little to players that could develop to fill more pressing needs than just injury depth.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the question would be are they more likely to get a game than whoever we currently have playing those roles or roles that could be substituted for theirs (given we have West, Weightman and Cavarra not getting a game)? And are they more likely to be needed than the midfield depth that's been built?