Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The crucial steps for JJ

The crucial steps out of form Bulldog needs to take to return to AFL action

Dashing defender Jason Johannisen needs to improve his ball use if he wants to break back into the Western Bulldogs 22.

Despite being part of the Bulldogs leadership group in recent years, Luke Beveridge has no concerns dropping the Norm Smith Medal winner from the side for the club’s season-opener with Collingwood on Friday.

The Bulldogs collected a 16-point win, meaning there are no assurances he will return in the near future, with Beveridge’s telling players ahead of the pre-season no spot was guarantee.

“We’ve got a very healthy list at the moment, Anthony Scott who debut last night has impressed over the summer. Bevo said from day one of the pre-season said no spots is guaranteed,” Dogs vice-captain Mitch Wallis told Fox Footy’s Saturday Countdown.

“Jason knew that and I think he’s struggled to find that form that he’s had and seen in previous years, his dash with ball in hand. Scotty put his hand up and really took his spot.

“I don’t think there’s much more to say about that. He earned his spot and JJ has slipped out because of his form not being where it needed to be.”

The 28-year-old played 17 games for the club last season, averaging a career-low 15.7 disposals.

However, Wallis explained he had carried himself well and was pushing for a return in the near future.

“JJ is a great character and has carried himself well in the last couple of weeks and knows there is areas to improve,” he said.

“It starts with his ball use. I think he’s been struggling to hit targets and break games open from that point of view. He’s not far away, I know if he gets his opportunity he’ll slot back in.

“But to Scotty and Bailey Dale’s credit, they’ve really held down those high half-back roles and proving quite damaging for us. I’m sure Doggies fans will see him out there soon and he’s working on his game in the VFL.”
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The crucial steps for JJ

This is promising from the coach. Setting some standards and being prepared to challenge established, popular players.

JJ has never quite recovered from that patch where he was physically targeted. Didn’t step up, we didn’t quite do enough to look after him either, but as a senior player and leader I thought he failed that test.

3. Likes mjp, Testekill, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    This is promising from the coach. Setting some standards and being prepared to challenge established, popular players.

JJ has never quite recovered from that patch where he was physically targeted. Didn’t step up, we didn’t quite do enough to look after him either, but as a senior player and leader I thought he failed that test.
    That’s a really good point. I’d never thought much about when his form began to slide. How strange to think it started with the taunts from Tomas Bugg and Jack Watts, two guys who aren’t even afl standard any more, and certainly don’t have premiership medals to their name.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is definitely a wake up call for the entire list.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

So the coach wants more dash with ball in hand.

And the footy boss wants him to be a better defender.

A bit on JJ's to-do list at the mo.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I'm liking the stance from Bevo also, Cordy has also gone backwards since 16 also IMO we took too long for what ever reason to ask him to find form in the VFL.

I just hope we are consistent also in the players we bring in, I'm not so sure Scott and McNiel deserved to be playing AFL either on Friday night.

Post Thanks / Like

The crucial steps for JJ.

1/. Tidy up your starting points - you are not an intercept defender so when there is a spare (pretty much always) you need to lock your opponent away and allow our numerical advantage to benefit us.

2/. Take care of the footy. You can kick the ball a long way but it isn't AusKick where all the parents clap each time the ball travels more than 10m. Kick it to your team-mate.

That's it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, with the way JJ has gone in the last few years, I'd be putting him out there as trade bait at the end of the season to see if we can lure a hulking lockdown defender away from their club. I feel Ed Richards plays JJ's role better, and now it seems Dale is also doing that role 'alright' (although would prefer to see Dale forward).

Cordy is an interesting one, last year during the early season showed signs of growth with a few on this very forum commenting on how well he was playing, then it seemed to taper off end of season. I like Cordy, I think he has it in him to be one of our tall backmen but the photo of him standing next to Buku at the hub says it all, he has a bit to work on (both game and honestly, physical) - I see Buku overtaking him at this rate, and that's not a bad thing.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

JJ's omission really hits home just how important efficient ball use is now and this was clearly emphasised across the first round of footy. I have no idea about the number of goals from turnovers last round but it seems that if you turn it over it's almost certainly going to be an i50 opportunity for the opposition.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    JJ's omission really hits home just how important efficient ball use is now and this was clearly emphasised across the first round of footy. I have no idea about the number of goals from turnovers last round but it seems that if you turn it over it's almost certainly going to be an i50 opportunity for the opposition.
    Too true - unless the opposition defenders sit on the footy like an egg waiting to hatch there is no way a team can defend the corridor anymore.
    I am still not convinced Scott and Dale are the answers though, but Dale has shown real signs.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It's a great point. While you might expect the rule changes would play to his strengths they could also very well expose his weaknesses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Too true - unless the opposition defenders sit on the footy like an egg waiting to hatch there is no way a team can defend the corridor anymore.
    I am still not convinced Scott and Dale are the answers though, but Dale has shown real signs.
    I like Bailey Dale. I think he has good forward craft and is probably one of the better kicks in the team in terms of accuracy and penetration. I like the move to half back, because it gets him into the game moving him out of a comfort zone. Time will tell whether it works, but I home it does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The question on Dale will come when he needs to defend, but the early signs of him as a defender are that he reads the play reasonably well, is capable of taking an intercept mark and uses it well out of the back half on transition. He's reasonably agile to avoid tackles and did this once or twice v Collingwood too.

The move to half back isn't one I would think of for him but the early signs look really positive. Maybe shifting back will help him stay involved, which is something he struggles with as a forward. He's certainly talented enough to be AFL quality.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    The question on Dale will come when he needs to defend, but the early signs of him as a defender are that he reads the play reasonably well, is capable of taking an intercept mark and uses it well out of the back half on transition. He's reasonably agile to avoid tackles and did this once or twice v Collingwood too.

The move to half back isn't one I would think of for him but the early signs look really positive. Maybe shifting back will help him stay involved, which is something he struggles with as a forward. He's certainly talented enough to be AFL quality.
    Playing back is much easier than forward, and maybe Dale has found his spot. He is too inconsistent as a forward and the way the ball comes in, doesn't suit him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Playing back is much easier than forward, and maybe Dale has found his spot. He is too inconsistent as a forward and the way the ball comes in, doesn't suit him.
    It sure if it’s his slot as he will not be ahead of Wood and Crozier. Anyway it makes him a multi spot player and if he performs well that makes it harder to pick the team that’s a better thing for the team. He may get a few weeks down back and that may be the nail in the coffin for Wallis
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.