Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moment, rnd 2, 2021: Western Bulldogs vs West Coast Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Plenty of them yesterday

McNeil Steal
    Bailey hail mary v 3
    Bont clutch goal
    Libba's extraction which ended up Macrae to Naughton
    Bailey Dale bodylining the contest late.
    So basically the entire last quarter
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I like the way he just goes the spoil instead of trying to mark everything. He needs to get stronger for those one on one situations.
    I don't. Nearly every team has tall defenders who takes marks from the oppositions kicks which creates the turnover. We don't and we need to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I don't. Nearly every team has tall defenders who takes marks from the oppositions kicks which creates the turnover. We don't and we need to.
    Keath is that guy isn't he? Well, at least he was at Adelaide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    After watching the replay I've got an honourable mention for the moment.

Gardner's smother on the Cripps set shot early in the last. That goes through it's probably good night, but he strained every sinew in his body to get a fingertip on that kick and keep us alive.

The free kick in the lead up was pretty harsh, there were about 5 set of hands keeping it under him !

I think he's really developing well. Did some nice things, couple of great spoils on the members wing.
    Isn't the game much better now that you can accidentally get the ball disposed of two you when you're on your knees, take and lose possession and then have possession forced upon you and you get penalised for it!

But only sometimes and inconsistently within short periods of time.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Keath is that guy isn't he? Well, at least he was at Adelaide.
    I trust Keath with this role. He took 9 marks last week but only three this, but WestCoast have some very good contested markers in their forward line, so the spoil is better so that Williams, Duryea and Caleb can mop up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Williams was epic but what about Gardner standing the mark against Cripps from point blank range and he gets a touch on it. I thought we were gone. 2nd time he has done it in big moments vs West Coast. Did it last year in the must win game as well.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

7. Likes jeemak, Mofra, SonofScray, josie, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Isn't the game much better now that you can accidentally get the ball disposed of two you when you're on your knees, take and lose possession and then have possession forced upon you and you get penalised for it!

But only sometimes and inconsistently within short periods of time.
    Apparently it doesn’t count if you’re trying to mark it and don’t. Unless it does count, in which case it counts. Unless it doesn’t.

The big positive was Treloar giving it to the cowardly Chamberlain. What a quarter he had both in terms of game contribution and making me fall in love with him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    McNeil putting on the afterburners and handing the baton to Vandermeer for that goal.
    Scintillating.
    There were many moments later, but this was one that I loved - it was the closest I can remember to JJ gathering at half back against the Giants in 2016 and putting it in front of Bont.

The dashing verve of the two youngsters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Apparently it doesn’t count if you’re trying to mark it and don’t. Unless it does count, in which case it counts. Unless it doesn’t.

The big positive was Treloar giving it to the cowardly Chamberlain. What a quarter he had both in terms of game contribution and making me fall in love with him.
    A more popular player probably doesn't get pinged like Gardner did. I think that's what was applied to the McGovern situation.

Post Thanks / Like

The mongrel punt had a good take on mongrel Ray's non-decision:

PAY IT, RAY

Oh geez… on the heels of a game on Friday night where we saw one of the most gutless umpiring decisions in recent history, cost the Brisbane Lions a chance to win the game, we had Razor Ray Chamberlain – a man who is notorious for being quick on the whistle, allowed Jeremy McGovern a get out of jail free opportunity after he dragged the footy in after spilling a mark.

Now, normally you’d give Ray the benefit of the doubt – umpires make mistakes and all we want is a bit of consistency, right? I’m all for that… assuming there wasn’t a holding the ball paid at the other end earlier in the quarter.

Every man and his dog… especially the Dogs, actually, knew that this was a clear holding the ball decision, but Ray apparently thought different, opining that McGovern didn’t dive on it or drag it in. Instead, Ray offered that Gov simply was trying to mark it…

… with the ball on the ground.

What was this? Backyard cricket with one-hand, one-bounce in place?

In the washup, this will be washed away, as the Dogs did the work to get up, anyway, but as a neutral watching the game, this was another cause for a bit of frustration. Throw this in with the clear too high against Liam Ryan earlier in the game that was let go because… look, I don’t know why, and you can see why footy fans get frustrated.
    Link

Post Thanks / Like

I know the 1 on 3 will get all the Bailey Williams love, but earlier in the last quarter he gathered a loose ball while hemmed in on the boundary, turned around and snapped a half gather straight to Hunter. How he even saw him I won't know.

This is a guy who played undersized all night so we still managed to keep our same level of back-half run, often copping Oscar Allen who is a brilliant young tall in his own right. Yes we had some amazing mids stand up (Treloar to the centre in the 4th - wonderful) but Bailey's game was supurb.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes GVGjr, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A more popular player probably doesn't get pinged like Gardner did. I think that's what was applied to the McGovern situation.
    I think the Gardner one was actually the right decision based on how it’s being adjudicated. The McGovern non-decision was horrible and smacked of the moment being too big for the decision maker.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I think the Gardner one was actually the right decision based on how it’s being adjudicated. The McGovern non-decision was horrible and smacked of the moment being too big for the decision maker.
    Probably right, whether you like the way it's being adjudicated or otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

The 5 seconds we were leading in the last quarter after vandermeers goal were pretty nice

Post Thanks / Like

Or a popular team in front of their rabid, feral fans like Blicavs against the lions. That gets paid if it's up at the Gabba or even at a neutral venue.

18. Likes merantau liked this post