Has anyone got any idea how the final 27 umpires - and the 'teams' - are worked out each week.

I am 100% exhausted by Umpire Chamberlain and he is genuinely one of the least effective umpires I have ever seen. Yet he continues to be allocated 'key' games (was a finals umpire in 2020) despite continually making himself the focus of the game...One of the commentators (Lewis I think) mentioned this yesterday after the Gardner catastrophe. The fact he changed his mind on his own decision 5-minutes later (as Adam Treloar pointed out - Jeremy McGovern played the Gardner role note-for-note...but was not penalised) just seemed to be more of the theatre to Chamberlain. He loved talking to Treloar and offering a short-sighted explanation about 'diving for the mark'...

I generally couldn't care less about umpires and umpiring decisions - but there is one umpire in the game who always seems to want to make the 'BIG' decision in front of goals...and he is continually rewarded with selection. Why? Umpires should be seen and not heard. Award the free-kicks (playing with a straight bat) and keep your mouth firmly closed.

So - how is this stuff worked out?

On a related/unrelated note, I know a couple of umpires have decided NOT to retire due to the greatly reduced game day running in the last few years...which has me petrified I am going to be watching the same guy perform the same grand-standing act for years to come.