Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Umpire Selection Policy

Of all of Brian Taylor's horrendous contributions to the game during his time as a broadcaster, giving Chamberlain the nickname 'Razor Ray' must surely be the lowest of the low.

It elevated him to a level of celebrity that is totally unwarranted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    When they say "free kick Bulldogs" remind them that we kicked the sealer only to have it overturned and still won the game. They never seem to have a response to that.
    If they actually understood the rules of the game they’d realise it was an accurately umpired game. I actually rewatched the game with the intention to look at all calls and non-calls. Turns out the swans should have had more frees. But so should have we. Like every game.

3. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Darcy did favour us. Whatever. As always let the losers be objective.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    When they say "free kick Bulldogs" remind them that we kicked the sealer only to have it overturned and still won the game. They never seem to have a response to that.
    And that Josh Kennedy's second goal shouldn't have stood. Easton Wood had a player climb on his back when the ball was nowhere near the pack.

6. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    If they actually understood the rules of the game they’d realise it was an accurately umpired game. I actually rewatched the game with the intention to look at all calls and non-calls. Turns out the swans should have had more frees. But so should have we. Like every game.
    On twitter they are still whinging about the umpiring decisions.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    On twitter they are still whinging about the umpiring decisions.
    Good. Unfortunately umpiring shouldn't be judged simply from free kick counts. It's misleading.

It wasn't hard to be unbiased looking back at the game knowing we had won. The free kick count disparity should have been even wider. The Wood example is a case in point. The JJ overturn whilst not a free kick adds to a 2 goal turnaround in their favour yet they still lost. I think the Clay Smith goal in the 3rd was fortunate for us. But again, it gets to the point where you're nitpicking.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently there's a ratio they use to judge performance (this is from a VFL umpire that was close to joining the AFL umpiring system).
    Decision making isn't 100% of the scoring - there's positioning during the play and centre bouncing that are also assessed.

I get the criticisms of Ray, but at the same time I wonder if the game is even possible to umpire properly anymore. AFL field umpires make an estimated 800 to 1000 decisions per game and some of the rules mean the umpire has to choose where to look (e.g. man on the mark or the player with the ball stepping off his line?).
    The rules committee certainly aren't helping the umpiring department.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I get the criticisms of Ray, but at the same time I wonder if the game is even possible to umpire properly anymore. AFL field umpires make an estimated 800 to 1000 decisions per game and some of the rules mean the umpire has to choose where to look (e.g. man on the mark or the player with the ball stepping off his line?).
    The rules committee certainly aren't helping the umpiring department.
    1/. They are in charge of one third of the ground at a time. 1000 decisions? Whatever. Given there are 30 free kicks per game, most of those are simple tick/cross events that could be handled by 90% of the footy watching public. What I am hoping for is that of the 40-50 'REAL' decisions each individual umpire makes that they just 'make them' without creating a Hollywood production out of blowing the whistle.
    2/. Pay the simple free kicks and don't try to invent stuff - the umpires love the theatre of a deliberate out of bounds/ball held in holding the ball free kick...when you see them rushing to the boundary arm extended downwards (deliberate) or see them stopped over with hands down just 'waiting' to pay the 'ball held in - holding the ball' penalty...for goodness sake. And Umpire Chamberlain takes it to a whole new level. Yet somehow paying in the back/over the shoulder (how did Daniel not receive a high contact free in front of the West Coast goal 20 mins into the last q - simple and obvious to all watching) is 'beyond them'. Those kicks are NOT confusing - and have NOTHING to do with the new rules...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

11. Likes Bulldog Joe, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're first to the ball you get more frees. More news at 11.
    "It's over. It's all over."

13. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good. Unfortunately umpiring shouldn't be judged simply from free kick counts. It's misleading.

It wasn't hard to be unbiased looking back at the game knowing we had won. The free kick count disparity should have been even wider. The Wood example is a case in point. The JJ overturn whilst not a free kick adds to a 2 goal turnaround in their favour yet they still lost. I think the Clay Smith goal in the 3rd was fortunate for us. But again, it gets to the point where you're nitpicking.
    The JJ goal was a terrible decision but it was most certainly not a 2 goal turnaround.

Jordan Roughead marked the ensuing kick in and we scored a behind from that entry. About a minute after that Tom Boyd kicked his famous goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The JJ goal was a terrible decision but it was most certainly not a 2 goal turnaround.

Jordan Roughead marked the ensuing kick in and we scored a behind from that entry. About a minute after that Tom Boyd kicked his famous goal.
    No I meant the JJ overturn plus the goal to Kennedy that shouldn't have happened equals 1 goal to them that shouldn't have happened and 1 less to us that should have been given. Separate incidents.

Post Thanks / Like

No I meant the JJ overturn plus the goal to Kennedy that shouldn't have happened equals 1 goal to them that shouldn't have happened and 1 less to us that should have been given. Separate incidents.
    That makes far more sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Footy Classified broke the news last night that there will be 4 umpires on the ground from next season. I think they said the emergency umpire will be used on the ground.
    The game is quicker now and this will reduce how fast and far umpires will need to run in a game.
    I think they also said that the bounce in the centre square will be gone as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Footy Classified broke the news last night that there will be 4 umpires on the ground from next season. I think they said the emergency umpire will be used on the ground.
    The game is quicker now and this will reduce how fast and far umpires will need to run in a game.
    I think they also said that the bounce in the centre square will be gone as well.
    Does this mean the best umpires will be able to umpire > 1 game per weekend?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

19. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the game was just crying out for more free kicks and specifically more out of zone free kicks. Good thing Channel 7 have told me that all of the umpires are the Best in the Business.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

21. Likes Sedat liked this post