Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs and West Coast Eagles showcased Australian rules football in its purest form

Western Bulldogs and West Coast Eagles showcased Australian rules football in its purest form
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...form/100034576

The ball pinged from one end of Docklands to the other, bodies crashed in on the ground and in the air – Sunday's clash between the Western Bulldogs and West Coast Eagles was football in its purest and richest form.

Laitham Vandermeer's shepherd, Jamie Cripps's tackle, Bailey Williams win against the odds on the half-back flank, Nic Naitanui's tap work, clutch kicks and smothers — I could go on and on – left you gagging for more.

The Bulldogs came from 14 points down in the last quarter to win a match that contained 12 lead changes and had you so engaged your head was protruding through the commentary box window.

West Coast had taken control of the game in the third quarter with Natanui and midfield weapon Tim Kelly combining superbly. The Eagles dominated the air both in defence and attack, where Jack Darling, Oscar Allen and Josh Kennedy were all influential.

When that trio failed to mark it, they put the ball to ground for Liam Ryan and Jamaine Jones to get busy.

That the Bulldogs pulled off an amazing win was in no small part due to their breathtaking level of desperation and commitment, personified by the unflinching efforts of Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae, Williams and emerging star Bailey Smith.

And then there was Marcus Bontempelli.

Bontempelli with a football is like Shakespeare with a pen — every stroke is wondrous, albeit the Bont produces the stuff of dreams in mid-autumn, winter and the start of spring.

The Western Bulldogs captain amassed 14 telling possessions in the opening term, finished with 30 for the match and kicked three goals including the sealer at the 32-minute mark. The Bulldogs-heavy crowd of 21,000 almost blew the roof off the stadium.

Calling footy off the TV in the ABC boardroom during Melbourne's lockdown last season seemed a million miles away. It was footy at its absolute best.

There is no doubt recent rule changes have enhanced the spectacle. The new man on the mark rule has led to an attack-first mentality, and giving defenders more room at kick-ins has almost completely eliminated those painful chips to the back pocket and laborious movement of the ball from inside the defensive 50.

On a couple of occasions, Eagles veteran Shannon Hurn launched bombs into the middle of the ground that Ben Graham would have been proud of. The game is more open and as a result more enjoyable.

While the Eagles were ultimately beaten on Sunday they remain a serious threat this year, especially with the imminent return of their captain Luke Shuey from a hamstring injury and Elliott Yeo (groin) also still to come back.

2. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs and West Coast Eagles showcased Australian rules football in its purest form

It was honestly the best game of football I've seen for years. Both teams should be making other opponents nervous
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes GVGjr, BornInDroopSt'54, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs and West Coast Eagles showcased Australian rules football in its purest form

AFL Extended highlights here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan of all this hype, to be honest. Yeah, it was a good win but we're not great at handling expectations.

Really hoping we don't drink our own bathwater.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

7. Likes WBFC4FFC, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Not a fan of all this hype, to be honest. Yeah, it was a good win but we're not great at handling expectations.

Dogs by 125. Lid's off.

9. Likes bornadog, Happy Days, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for pouring expectations on the club and this playing group. We have been talked down far too often.
    Port rode it well last year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm all for pouring expectations on the club and this playing group. We have been talked down far too often.
    Port rode it well last year
    I definitely hope they prove me wrong.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Dogs by 125. Lid's off.
    And that's in the grand final. Wait until you see what we do to reams in home and away games!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Hype, Schmype.

You play good football, you'll get talked about.

It was a brilliant game of football, up there with 2017 V Sydney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Hype, Schmype.

You play good football, you'll get talked about.

It was a brilliant game of football, up there with 2017 V Sydney.
    I'm not ready to get hurt again

15. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who, us? Nahhh.

In full agreement, unearned plaudits - and there's been a lot of them - make me (1) super nervous because well, Bulldogs, and (2) annoyed (see reason #1).

And the external view that the way we play is somehow the 'best' way to play because it's convenient for the league, its advertisers and its spruikers is weird.

Winning is nice, but back up like professionals against a banana peel like North, then do it again against a rival not missing their two best mids and I'll start to chill TF out.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

17. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Who, us? Nahhh.

In full agreement, unearned plaudits - and there's been a lot of them - make me (1) super nervous because well, Bulldogs, and (2) annoyed (see reason #1).

And the external view that the way we play is somehow the 'best' way to play because it's convenient for the league, its advertisers and its spruikers is weird.

Winning is nice, but back up like professionals against a banana peel like North, then do it again against a rival not missing their two best mids and I'll start to chill TF out.
    I will say that the fight back on Sunday was unlike anything we've produced in the last few years. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come, but I need to see more until I'm comfortable with the hype train pulling into West Footscray station.

19. Likes 1eyedog, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not ready to get hurt again
    You're involved in the wrong game if you're worried about getting hurt.

21. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we are a team that thrive on confidence. There has been something joyless in our footy in recent years. I saw so much more spirit, risktaking, signs like blocking and working harder for each other. Over recent times we would have gone back into our shells when the Eagles took command. We continued to take the game on. It's why I see it as one of our most important wins post 2016.It's
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

23. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd read/ heard that we have come from behind at 3/4 time 14 times under Bevo and that that was a big number. Then there was that Hawks win two years ago.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.