Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Recruit of the year!

Well two games in and I know we are all waiting for the introduction of JUH and co. But thinking about impact and influencing of a game. Will Martin be the recruit of the year.

After the West Coke game, his worth was on display for all to see. He has taken on both the big boys in the game and “to me” actually came out of front. He will also not let the likes of Mummy intimidate and man handle our mids.

So in terms of out put himself, others walking tall around him and experience and cool head no doubt helped settle the boys ready for the big moment, what else could we ask for.

We need to manage his work load and also Tim’s confidence, so when if any games do we rest him and keep him fresh. No doubt he is a work horse but at his age do we worry about it or just roll on and what ever happens will unfold.

If we do rest him is this a chance to blood Sweet or we just go one out with English?

I have to admit I would never have thought I would be pondering this question last year but like many other questions the MC will have a few sleepless nights wrestling with our team this year.
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

2. Likes josie, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recruit of the year!

Agree with what you are saying in-terms of his influence. The modern-day Ben Hudson who was the right Ruck at the right time for a loaded midfield.

I would not say he came out in front. Nic Nat is a beast and an athlete in one, single-handedly nearly winning it for them. (In terms of most influential midfielder at the game, I thought he pipped Bont and Macrae, given all of his clearances).

Having said that, there is no way the Bullies would have one that without Martin. Nic Nat was less influential in the last, maybe because he was wrecked having to go up against Martin, who makes you earn a physical battle. That in the accidental poke to Nic Nat's eye perhaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey BB haven't heard from you in ages! Hope you're well. For a minute there I thought this was going to be a Josh Brooce appreciation thread. He's been a bit like a new recruit this year given he didn't really show up last year. How good has Broocy been btw!?

Like you I thought Martin was sensational on Sunday. He was soundly beaten for three quarters but that's no shameful thing against Nic Nat. While getting beaten Martin at least stayed in the game, pushed back hard in defence and made critical contests at critical times. His ability to use his guile and strength to move Nic Nat out of ruck contests in the last quarter (particularly at throw ins) was game changing.

This is the benefit of a having a strong, experienced ruckman in your side.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Hey BB haven't heard from you in ages! Hope you're well. For a minute there I thought this was going to be a Josh Brooce appreciation thread. He's been a bit like a new recruit this year given he didn't really show up last year. How good has Broocy been btw!?

Like you I thought Martin was sensational on Sunday. He was soundly beaten for three quarters but that's no shameful thing against Nic Nat. While getting beaten Martin at least stayed in the game, pushed back hard in defence and made critical contests at critical times. His ability to use his guile and strength to move Nic Nat out of ruck contests in the last quarter (particularly at throw ins) was game changing.

This is the benefit of a having a strong, experienced ruckman in your side.
    All good over here. I loved the game from Steph and really could see the Benefits of getting him into the club. I still think he was better than break even as I thought Nic Nat killed us last time he played and combined with Grundy we are miles in front. Also thought he was barking instructions to the kids were as in past years it was Wiley left to Bont and Libba. I really think he has lightened the load (or spread the load) and huge things await around the corner.

The best midfield in the AFL has to get a leg up every now and again
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

7. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean, I’m happy we got him (now) but let’s not pretend Nic Nat didn’t almost single handedly win the game for them. He’s great around the ground and very physical but his tap work is (and always has been) a weakness.

He’ll help us immeasurably against guys like Grundy, ROB and Nankervis but we’ll still be troubled by the Nic Nats and Gawns.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Stef held his own in the first half, couldn't get his hand on in the 3rd and came back strongly in the last - so a good game and a very important contribution to our win.

No doubt that if we can keep him on the park he will be a big influence on the outcome of many games. He's a real pro. Came to us in tip-top shape, ready to go.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

His biggest impact might have been pre-season. English as second ruck went toe to toe with Grundy a number of times in round 1, he got creamed by Grundy last year. Having a genuine experienced AFL standard ruck to partner with all pre-season has probably done wonders for his development.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

He’ll help us immeasurably against guys like Grundy, ROB and Nankervis but we’ll still be troubled by the Nic Nats and Gawns.
    As will every ruckman in the competition.

We obviously got beaten in the ruck but not as badly as it could have been and Stef neutralised just enough late. Timmy would have been completely devoured, especially at the boundary throw ins where he inexplicably takes the trailing position every time.

I actually thought we gave Sheed way too much leeway in the middle at times. He was the only Eagles mid capable of getting his hands on it and NicNat just put it down his throat again and again. I would have preferred sticking Libba in his back pocket and clamped down in the 3rd.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

We obviously got beaten in the ruck but not as badly as it could have been and Stef neutralised just enough late. Timmy would have been completely devoured, especially at the boundary throw ins where he inexplicably takes the trailing position every time.

I actually thought we gave Sheed way too much leeway in the middle at times. He was the only Eagles mid capable of getting his hands on it and NicNat just put it down his throat again and again. I would have preferred sticking Libba in his back pocket and clamped down in the 3rd.
    That was the good thing about Stef he fights for front position and he has more control of what happens.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

That is a fantastic point.

How infuriating was Timmy being sent into the middle for a crucial clearance (think it was after the Jones goal) only to see Nic Nat tap it to himself and walk it out of the square?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    There's more than one Nic Nat and more than one Gawn?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Nah. It just seems like it sometimes.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

16. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Looked like there were 3 Nic Nats on Sunday

His impact is everywhere though, helps with our ruck situation directly which also helps with our forward line setup and provides confidence and coaching to Timmy as well. We are a better team with him in it.

18. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    His biggest impact might have been pre-season. English as second ruck went toe to toe with Grundy a number of times in round 1, he got creamed by Grundy last year. Having a genuine experienced AFL standard ruck to partner with all pre-season has probably done wonders for his development.
    We shouldn't underestimate the value he brings to both English and Street by being able to regularly train against him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We shouldn't underestimate the value he brings to both English and Street by being able to regularly train against him.
    Don't tell me Peter Street's back!

21. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post