Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  20
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From villain to hero - who is next?

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    It's pretty hilarious to imagine Dunkley having to ruck at Essendon if he left. Glad he stayed
    Imagine that conversation if he did leave...

"Um Josh, you know how you really hate rucking...well, we have to tell you something. I think you should take a seat..."
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't rate Gardner. Oscar Allen was all over him a few weeks ago he's just not strong enough, or good enough for AFL level. I see him more as a stop gap. Lewy Young has to come in now and show us what he's got. He's got a 6-8 week window to make an impression and keep Gardner out.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Talking about ruckman, can Sweet be converted to a FB to play on the gorilla forwards? He is 203cm, and is unlikely to play ruck this year. I don't know if he is mobile enough or has any idea how to play the role? Just a left field suggestion.
    This idea crossed my mind when we lost Gardner. I think mobility might be the problem as he could be in the Will Minson mold hence why he hasn't gotten a game yet although I quite liked Minno.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    This idea crossed my mind when we lost Gardner. I think mobility might be the problem as he could be in the Will Minson mold hence why he hasn't gotten a game yet although I quite liked Minno.
    I haven't seen him since a VFL game in 2019, so I do worry about his mobility?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mick Malthouse after our match was speaking about Schache on the backline and very much in favour of him being trialled there.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

8. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I haven't seen him since a VFL game in 2019, so I do worry about his mobility?
    Mobility would be an issue. All the 200cm forwards these days are super-agile. Daniher and Hipwood especially so.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Mobility would be an issue. All the 200cm forwards these days are super-agile. Daniher and Hipwood especially so.
    Sweet would get eaten alive by the likes of Daniher, King bros etc.

He's developing fine as a big bodied ruck and with Martin only having a season or 2 left in him, he should be primed to take the next step just as Stef finishes up.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Sweet would get eaten alive by the likes of Daniher, King bros etc.

He's developing fine as a big bodied ruck and with Martin only having a season or 2 left in him, he should be primed to take the next step just as Stef finishes up.
    It wouldn't be pretty.

I'm open to the Schache back experiment. He has useful attributes that could work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    It wouldn't be pretty.

I'm open to the Schache back experiment. He has useful attributes that could work.
    I just don't see how Schache fits us long term, I'd rather trade him and go for a proper backman instead of trying stop-gaps.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Operation shack back!

I would never had had Bailey Dale as a defender either but so far so good. You'll never know unless you try it I suppose. It might be the making of him
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

14. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I just don't see how Schache fits us long term, I'd rather trade him and go for a proper backman instead of trying stop-gaps.
    If Gardner is out for 8 weeks and Young really is shit Schache back may happen sooner than you think!

Post Thanks / Like

I have always thought Schache would lack the closing speed to play back but so many players find a way to make playing back work for them that I’m hesitant to write it off.

There is a couple of things working for him.

1- our guys don’t defend back shoulder very often so he only needs to control the space in front of him and adjust positioning. Simplifying things considerably but that does make things easier.
    2- you have more margin for error as a defender in some ways. You are not trying to create separation and the errors up field can favour you.

It is clear Schache is working hard and looks like he just needs an opportunity. While I don’t see any obvious reasons he would make it as a defender I think he deserves a crack at some point if he can’t push into the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Good overhead and elite kicking skills takes you a long way as a key defender. Schache has both traits.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m really doubtful he’s physically strong enough to play as much one on one defence as the current rules demand, but really what’s the worst that can come of trying it? Not like he’s close to a game as it sits right now.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’m really doubtful he’s physically strong enough to play as much one on one defence as the current rules demand, but really what’s the worst that can come of trying it? Not like he’s close to a game as it sits right now.
    I'd give him 2-4 weeks at the start of the VFL season proper to see if it can work - we're desperate for some more defensive cover and he doesn't have a shot at senior selection unless injuries strike so it's a no lose experiment.

It will expose Marra a little bit as the lone key forward but I also don't mind the idea of him having the 50 to himself.