Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From villain to hero - who is next?

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'd give him 2-4 weeks at the start of the VFL season proper to see if it can work - we're desperate for some more defensive cover and he doesn't have a shot at senior selection unless injuries strike so it's a no lose experiment.

It will expose Marra a little bit as the lone key forward but I also don't mind the idea of him having the 50 to himself.
    Like that narrative. Marra’s forward line and Schache the general down back.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd give him 2-4 weeks at the start of the VFL season proper to see if it can work - we're desperate for some more defensive cover and he doesn't have a shot at senior selection unless injuries strike so it's a no lose experiment.

It will expose Marra a little bit as the lone key forward but I also don't mind the idea of him having the 50 to himself.
    I have nothing against this, we are not flush with big men in the backline. I have said it for years that Cordy isnot a KPP even though we try and play him as one. He just doesn't have the height, or the leap and other than him there is no one unless Young comes good..
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have nothing against this, we are not flush with big men in the backline. I have said it for years that Cordy isnot a KPP even though we try and play him as one. He just doesn't have the height, or the leap and other than him there is no one unless Young comes good..
    Especially with Gardner out and (most likely) Young getting the promotion. Cordy one out as the only key defender down there would really expose him, even at VFL level.

Will the club try it though?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Especially with Gardner out and (most likely) Young getting the promotion. Cordy one out as the only key defender down there would really expose him, even at VFL level.

Will the club try it though?
    I remember Schache saying he has never played as a backman, even as a junior. He has played ruck, and forward, so he would need an accelerated lesson - as you say 4 to 6 in the VFL and see how it goes. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember Schache saying he has never played as a backman, even as a junior. He has played ruck, and forward, so he would need an accelerated lesson - as you say 4 to 6 in the VFL and see how it goes. Nothing to lose, everything to gain.
    Yep, and what's having your own VFL side for if not to trial some different things that may benefit the senior team long term.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache down back is absolutely worth a try.

He is 5th in line for key forwards, and I really think that unless you are supremely talented then you need a natural intensity to be a decent key forward and Schache does not have that. Even though he has played well there in the past I just don't see him making it as an AFL forward, so we need to change up his career before its over.

He is a great size, an excellent ball user and mobile. He lacks strong aerial ability, and is not strong in the contest. The former I am not too worried about, Gardner is our best option at the moment and he spoils every time, the second isn't great but again Gardner is just ok in that regard, Young is underwhelming and Cordy is a shocking one on one defender so nothing lost. The extra space afforded to him as the defensive player may be all Schache needs to have a consistent impact, he has a lot of talent.

I see no downside to trying it, I mean Liam Jones is a pretty good key defender and who would have seen that coming in his time with us?
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

7. Likes westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Schache isn’t tried down back, then his time at the Dogs is simply up. The club has nothing to lose, and he has nothing to lose, except to embrace it.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

9. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    If Schache isn’t tried down back, then his time at the Dogs is simply up. The club has nothing to lose, and he has nothing to lose, except to embrace it.
    It’s a shame we haven’t trialled this in the pre season given thus weeks left footed athletic match ups.

If it has to be sold to him (if they even consider it) it’s revive your senior career or ...
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

11. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Schache have the closing speed if he gives the opposition too much leg rope?

Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting conversation but it overlooks the key issue: Beveridge doesn't rate Schache at all and he's finished in our colours.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    This is an interesting conversation but it overlooks the key issue: Beveridge doesn't rate Schache at all and he's finished in our colours.
    That may well be the case but he isn't out of contract till the end of next year. I know we love signing players up and then never using them but that's something.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Assumption only

Post Thanks / Like

Assumption only
    Never change, BAD. Never change.
    "It's over. It's all over."

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Schache needs to find a role and will struggle with Bruce and Naughton starting to gel. I think he still has value to offer but not sure we're going to be the ones to utilise it - I really think he should be trialled in defence at VFL to see if he has something.
    I like the suggestion a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    It’s a shame we haven’t trialled this in the pre season given thus weeks left footed athletic match ups.

If it has to be sold to him (if they even consider it) it’s revive your senior career or ...
    The fact that we haven't really tried him as a defender is fair indicator that we feel his value back there is limited.
    We like our defenders to have a bit of speed and I think Schache lacks that but his skill level particularly his kicking skills could be invaluable as could really help with our transition out of the back half.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"