Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to revitalise your playing list

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There hasn't been a rebuild just added players with skill sets we haven't had in the past.
    A ruck man where we previously seemed to overlook and then two fleet footed midfielders had really added to our midfield group has made a huge difference.
    Well I was just making a bit of a joke, and it's subjective depending on how you define what a rebuild is (which is something you and I differ on).

To your OP I absolutely agree that adding a ruck has helped, while a fit Bruce has also made a huge difference. However small the impact Scott and McNeil are making on the field at present, I feel their inclusion and that of Bailey Dale coupled with the exclusion of the likes of JJ and Cordy has put a bit of a rocket up a fairly healthy playing list and everyone is playing in a committed way. It's hard to tell of course, because you never really know but I think this may also be the case with the addition of Treloar and our midfield group. Nobody wants to miss out.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to revitalise you playing list

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I miss Dalrymple.
    Sammy Power says hi.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Sammy Power says hi.
    List manager v recruitment manager - different roles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    List manager v recruitment manager - different roles.
    True Axe. He even has a bigger title now. General Manager of List Management and Football Projects.

Post Thanks / Like

True Axe. He even has a bigger title now. General Manager of List Management and Football Projects.
    I don't know what "Football Projects" are, but I do recall I did my year 11 English communication project on footy.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what "Football Projects" are, but I do recall I did my year 11 English communication project on footy.
    Lucky boy.

Post Thanks / Like

I did mine on Lionel Rose. I looked his trainer up in the phone book and rang the number but the person who answered the phone said that Mr Rennie was out but he'd get him to call back if I left my phone number.

A few days later my dad came into the back yard and said "some bloke who reckons he's Jack Rennie is on the phone wanting to speak to you" We spoke for a couple of hours. I couldn't ring Lionel Rose himself because he lived interstate and back then it cost a small fortune to ring interstate phone numbers.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I did mine on Lionel Rose. I looked his trainer up in the phone book and rang the number but the person who answered the phone said that Mr Rennie was out but he'd get him to call back if I left my phone number.

A few days later my dad came into the back yard and said "some bloke who reckons he's Jack Rennie is on the phone wanting to speak to you" We spoke for a couple of hours. I couldn't ring Lionel Rose himself because he lived interstate and back then it cost a small fortune to ring interstate phone numbers.
    Lionel Rose was born and raised around these parts and returned to live here in his later years. There is a statue of him in a local park.

Post Thanks / Like

Lionel Rose was born and raised around these parts and returned to live here in his later years. There is a statue of him in a local park.

Great statue. Classic southpaw pose. The first thing I did was duck out of the way of that left.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sammy Power says hi.
    I don't think its a coincidence though that Sydney's youngsters have come on and Dal has gone there in a list management/recruiter role. Sydney have been a good recruiting team since the turn of the century. I think Dal really is icing for them. That said, I think that they will not make top 4 in 2021, its too early, but they are setting up for a 2023/24/25 run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Great statue. Classic southpaw pose. The first thing I did was duck out of the way of that left.
    Isn't that an orthodox stance with the left as the leading hand?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Isn't that an orthodox stance with the left as the leading hand?
    I didn't want to point that out for two dogs.
    Was waiting for him to realise himself.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I didn't want to point that out for two dogs.
    Was waiting for him to realise himself.
    I fear an invitation to the Yarraville nets is imminent.......for me to receive a thorough demonstration of boxing techniques.

Post Thanks / Like

Port added three good kids - they shot up the ladder
    Sydney added three good kids (2 Academy) - they shot up the ladder this year
    We added three trade ins (Hannan hasn't played) - we're looking fantastic
    Richmond added Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis in one year (and traded out Delideo) - they shot up the ladder and won a flag

It doesn't seem to be very secret - list turnover and getting it right seems to be the key. Geelong have turned over their list regularly and have made the finals in 11 out of the past 12 years.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes DOG GOD, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Port added three good kids - they shot up the ladder
    Sydney added three good kids (2 Academy) - they shot up the ladder this year
    We added three trade ins (Hannan hasn't played) - we're looking fantastic
    Richmond added Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis in one year (and traded out Delideo) - they shot up the ladder and won a flag

It doesn't seem to be very secret - list turnover and getting it right seems to be the key. Geelong have turned over their list regularly and have made the finals in 11 out of the past 12 years.
    Yep. Its about getting rid of deadwood early. Small to mid-Draftees have 3 to 4 years to nail it - if they are not pressuring for spots in their 4th year then they are not likely to make it. Talls take a bit longer, but it is all about what they can show. They need 4 to 5, but again if they are not demanding a spot then the time to sell is then.