Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Defensive System is working

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    We've improved defensively all over the ground while our back 6 is playing a hell of a lot better further up the ground opposition mids are struggling to get free like they have in the past. Martin does help there as well but we look more determined defensively in there. That big defender still needs to be found and we took a step in the right direction with Young yesterday. Fingers crossed he continues his form.
    Yeah I think a lot of our defensive success is down to our mids being a lot more accountable. That's not to take anything away from the defensive group though. They've been superb. I just feel we are that 1 tall light as well. If Keath goes down I think we'll be in a spot of bother.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's be honest - the North game has skewed the stats.
    Our system is great and like a few I've been a huge Duryea fan but this year he's been excellent. Keath has been a spectacular success. The second KPD spot is still an issue so fingers crossed Lewie Young can nail it down as he has a high ceiling.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I’d expect Crozier to play a more intercept heavy role when he gets back. If he’s gonna fly at every damn ball that comes into D50 we might as well get something out of it.

As an aside, after the demo job he did on Daniher would anyone really argue with Al being YOUR All Australian CHB?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Also a bit of credit to the forward line who are working much harder without the ball than in recent years. Naughton has been superb and even Bruce is getting in there. But a bit of acknowledgement to the 3 guys a lot of people would have dropped in Scott, McNeil & Vandermeer. Their speed & harassing have put opposition defenders under a lot more pressure than say guys like Wallis, Dale & other resting mids had been able to apply.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

5. Likes macca, bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    When fit, who does Crozier replace in the back 6? Great addition to add in soon.
    Probably JJ on current form. I just don't see anything like the form he had 5 years ago, gone is his want to take the game on, his attacking flair. I think ever since Daniel took over the kick in duties his stats have dropped and also his confidence in not being the main playmaker out of defence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Also a bit of credit to the forward line who are working much harder without the ball than in recent years. Naughton has been superb and even Bruce is getting in there. But a bit of acknowledgement to the 3 guys a lot of people would have dropped in Scott, McNeil & Vandermeer. Their speed & harassing have put opposition defenders under a lot more pressure than say guys like Wallis, Dale & other resting mids had been able to apply.
    Yeah I suspect these guys have pressure as their main priority. McNeil and Scott don’t need tone guys racking up possessions or hurting with the ball. I’m assuming they’re getting games because of the pressure they’re applying. All teams need players like that.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a good call out for Scott, McNeil and Laith. They’re doing a role, even if it doesn’t necessarily show up in the stats. The thing they all need to do is take their chances and execute their skills when the opportunity comes. And not give away frees / 50m penalties.

Post Thanks / Like

Great observation. The fact they have taken Wallis and Dale spots shows how much they have progressed . They are also keeping Cavarra, JOng and west out . We have some depth and good competition for spots this year. I would love to see Scott and McNeil improve their kicking and Nail those 2 missed shots a game into goals. It maybe just a slight 1% adjustment to their technique and it could make a big difference. Exciting times !
    Last edited by macca; 12-04-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Great observation. They fact they have taken Wallis and Dale spots shows how much they have progressed . They are also keeping Cavarra, JOng and west out . We have some depth and good competition for spots this year. I would love to see Scott and McNeil improve their kicking and Nail those 2 missed shots a game into goals. It maybe just a slight 1% adjustment to their technique and it could make a big difference. Exciting times !
    I guess the good news is they are getting those chances. Composure and kicking will improve with practice and experience. McNeil in particular seems to have an x factor potential with his speed and intercepts.

I’d love to know where Weightman is in the pecking order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I think the fact that we defend the space in front of us rather than back shoulder hasn’t exposed us to hit ups like other clubs. We have pulled back slightly on how high we defended but kept the basic principle of playing 5-10 metres in front rather than goal side. Working well so far but I expect everything to continue evolving under the new rules.
    And with that we need to acknowledge we'll occasionally give a few away over the back, because that's just how it is.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

McNeil - 1.2 tackles a game
    Vandermeer - 2.5 tackles a game
    Scott - 1.5 tackles a game

I know there's more elements to pressure than just tackling, but how do the above numbers - particularly for Scott and McNeil - compare to other players playing similar roles?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I guess the good news is they are getting those chances. Composure and kicking will improve with practice and experience. McNeil in particular seems to have an x factor potential with his speed and intercepts.

I’d love to know where Weightman is in the pecking order.
    Watching the VFL practice matches I’d say Weightman was just behind Cavarra and West as the small fwd option. The only problem is his better form is when he has been allowed time in the middle where he’s done well - possibly cleaner than West and even quite aggressive (but still shaded by West). If he was elevated it would only be as forward and I think this is where Cavarra has first dibs as he is cleaner with the ball than West and is a more natural crumbing fwd and it is where he actually plays in the twos.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Young
    Quick (est on the list)
    Pressures
    Tackles hard
    Contributes to the scoreboard

Jamarra is a tall ‘small pressure forward’... I’m happy to play him with this very specific role if pressure, 1.5 tackles, add to scoring options in the test. We’d arguable gain offensively and defensively.

Not nearly enough Jamarra talk going on.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When he kicks thirteen goals in round one of the VFL there will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    When he kicks thirteen goals in round one of the VFL there will be.
    Why are we managing his time to only 50% game time?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post