Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Defensive System is working

After four rounds we have conceded the least amount of scores (but, kicked the second highest scores).

Does this mean our defensive system is coming together and we are starting to coordinate alot better.

Keath has played really well this year, Williams is turning into a star at HBF, Duryea seems to control the back 6, Wood has been very good in his few games back, Caleb (except yesterday) has been his usual busy self.

We need Ypoung to continue his form from yesterday, and we will be tough to score against.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our Defensive System is working

I would see Keath as vital as he seems the man in charge.

Duryea makes smart decisions and Williams seems to have lifted a level, but the addition of Bailey Dale has also been important.

Lewis Young played very well against Brisbane, bit his ball use is a worry. Hopefully he now gets a chance to settle in the role and really demand his position.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post

Duryea makes smart decisions and Williams seems to have lifted a level, but the addition of Bailey Dale has also been important.

Lewis Young played very well against Brisbane, bit his ball use is a worry. Hopefully he now gets a chance to settle in the role and really demand his position.
    Agree, Dale has been fantastic down there and I think he has found his niche. I had him in my votes.

I never liked him in the forward line because he was too inconsistent and went missing for large parts of the game, but in defense he has been good

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

One of Duryea, Daniel, Williams or Dale needs to be a handball outlet whenever Young takes a mark.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

When fit, who does Crozier replace in the back 6? Great addition to add in soon.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    When fit, who does Crozier replace in the back 6? Great addition to add in soon.
    Good problem to have. Maybe he is not an automatic inclusion.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Good problem to have. Maybe he is not an automatic inclusion.
    Granted I haven’t seen Croz for a while but he’s best 22 isn’t he? Could we move him forward line as Freo did for his last two seasons, or keep him back and move Daniel up the ground. Or is it Duryea, Wood & Croz fighting for two spots?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Granted I haven’t seen Croz for a while but he’s best 22 isn’t he? Could we move him forward line as Freo did for his last two seasons, or keep him back and move Daniel up the ground. Or is it Duryea, Wood & Croz fighting for two spots?
    Could be 7th defensive player through inter change

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Could be 7th defensive player through inter change
    Looking at Scott’s heat map from yesterday, I’m assuming he’s the one out from yesterday for Croz. Would make us even better instantly.

10. Likes kruder, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    One of Duryea, Daniel, Williams or Dale needs to be a handball outlet whenever Young takes a mark.
    The “Stand Rule” makes this a safe and always available option these days.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

Like the idea of Daniel further up the ground. Williams has become our go to - the get out of jail handball/kick that Daniel was the last 2 years. For me Croz needs to play back, he was an ineffective forward for freo for the most part and really earned his stripes as a defender. See him and Wood as the same type of player though - not sure we need both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Like the idea of Daniel further up the ground. Williams has become our go to - the get out of jail handball/kick that Daniel was the last 2 years. For me Croz needs to play back, he was an ineffective forward for freo for the most part and really earned his stripes as a defender. See him and Wood as the same type of player though - not sure we need both.
    Wood is better on small forwards these days, where as Croz is suited to those medium types that jump and mark (Fritsch at Melbourne as an example).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

We've improved defensively all over the ground while our back 6 is playing a hell of a lot better further up the ground opposition mids are struggling to get free like they have in the past. Martin does help there as well but we look more determined defensively in there. That big defender still needs to be found and we took a step in the right direction with Young yesterday. Fingers crossed he continues his form.

15. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought our defence won us the game vs Brisbane. They were outstanding as a collective unit in the first half repelling everything the Lions threw at them. Then held steady in the 2nd half when the Lions tried desperately to get back into the game. I didn't feel we were threatened at all. It was a very accomplished performance against a quality side.

Crozier coming back in the next few weeks should only make it stronger.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

17. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the fact that we defend the space in front of us rather than back shoulder hasn’t exposed us to hit ups like other clubs. We have pulled back slightly on how high we defended but kept the basic principle of playing 5-10 metres in front rather than goal side. Working well so far but I expect everything to continue evolving under the new rules.

19. Likes jeemak liked this post