Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best start to a season

With us being 4 and zip i thought i would have a bit of a search and try to find our best winning run to start a season. To my surprise ( and i may be wrong) i was unable to find a season where we had won the opening 5 games.

The best start i could find was in 2008 where we won the first 4 and then drew the round five game against Richmond
    (19.16 to 20.10. As time on was entered in the last quarter, the dogs were 18 points down. Goals to Cross and Murphy got us to within 6 points. Then Lakey takes the big mark, cramps up and the ball is handed to big Wil. Who by the way was nowhere near the contest. Minno slotted the goal at the 32 minute mark to draw the match.)

In that season our first loss came in round 9 (North by 3 points) which was our only loss within the first 15 rounds.

2. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best start to a season

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    With us being 4 and zip i thought i would have a bit of a search and try to find our best winning run to start a season. To my surprise ( and i may be wrong) i was unable to find a season where we had won the opening 5 games.

The best start i could find was in 2008 where we won the first 4 and then drew the round five game against Richmond
    (19.16 to 20.10. As time on was entered in the last quarter, the dogs were 18 points down. Goals to Cross and Murphy got us to within 6 points. Then Lakey takes the big mark, cramps up and the ball is handed to big Wil. Who by the way was nowhere near the contest. Minno slotted the goal at the 32 minute mark to draw the match.)

In that season our first loss came in round 9 (North by 3 points) which was our only loss within the first 15 rounds.
    2008 had 3 dominant teams. Unfortunately we were ultimately 3rd of the 3.

After our first loss in round 9 we then inflicted the first loss on the Hawks in round 10 in Launceston.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

We were 14-1-1 in 2008? Damn, it was a shame we came up against the Cats and Hawks that year.

I remember thinking Josh Hill was going to be one of the real stars of the league after the first 3 weeks of that season...
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    2008 had 3 dominant teams. Unfortunately we were ultimately 3rd of the 3.

After our first loss in round 9 we then inflicted the first loss on the Hawks in round 10 in Launceston.
    That was an enjoyable season. Jonno’s 300th match in Round One was about as much fun as you could have at the footy, and we were an exhilarating attacking team.

Perhaps for exactly that reason, it was another year where our finals performances were nowhere near the level we’d showed throughout the year. We were downright embarrassing against the Hawks in that first final.

I often think though of a young Buddy torching Dale Morris in 2008, and how 8 years later Dale laid the magnificent tackle which led to our flag. Sometimes the footy circle closes around beautifully.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

6. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So going for history this week!

These men want to make some history, then smash GCS to go 5-0, sit on top & with 200%. After smashing North by a club record.

I hope the 23 players know they have a chance to do something EJ, Charlie, KT, Hawk, Grant, West & Johnson all couldn’t do.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1946 when we won our first 9 games of an 19 game season is our best start to a season.

We won 4 of the next ten to finish 3rd.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

10. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So now the best start in 75 years beckons.

Should’ve been 11 wins. Carlton by 4 points in Round 10, 1946... Bet they cheated too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So now the best start in 75 years beckons.

Should’ve been 11 wins. Carlton by 4 points in Round 10, 1946... Bet they cheated too.
    Undoubtedly they cheated. There definitely would have been dodgy umpiring decisions that went against us too.

Bloody Frank Spokes.

Post Thanks / Like

@sirswampthing

V/@AFL rounds where WBD & MELB were the sides sitting in the top two spots on the ladder
    1955 R02
    1957 R03
    2021 R04

15. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We were such a great team to watch in 2008 and 2009, plus parts of 2010 until the flu set in. That we managed to compete so well in 2008 and 2009 with a cobbled together but dynamic forward line is a testament to how much quality we had around the ground and how well we were coached.

I remember in 2008 that we received very little buzz in the first half of the season, even though we did the Hawks in Launceston. The narrative was always talking us down because we didn't have that strong key forward, because you know, apparently big strong key forwards always win the finals.........according to the ex-big strong key forwards in AFL media (not sure what midfielders or defenders do if that's the case).

However, we were rightly behind the eight ball in terms of recognition after our disgusting display in the first final against the Hawks.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I was travelling in 2008. Left in April intending to travel through SE Asia to India and be away about six months. I was actually climbing a small volcano on Lembata in eastern Indonesia when a message from a came through on my phone from a Hawthorn barracking mate to inform me that the Dogs had won 10 and drawn 1 of the first 11 games!

I changed my travel plans on the spot to make sure I'd be back in Melbourne for the finals.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

18. Likes Twodogs, BornInDroopSt'54, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So the boys are now second best start. Chasing 9 to equal and 10 for our best ever.

6-0
    175.3%

I’m backing us in. Would be such a great reward to the group be it 3 or 4 more.

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Yep. 6-0.
    Not one of us here, or before us has seen this.
    Great position to be in!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure that Bulldog Joe predicted the 6 and 0 start for us.
    I should have had more faith. Well done Joe
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"