Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  25
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Game Day R8 2021

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Richmond have been completely dismantled 3 times this season, their defence really has a tendency to go to water when the pressure up field isn't intense. Even our maligned defensive group held up 'ok' under the 3rd qtr barrage last week.

How many goals did Cameron get wheeling onto his left from within 20-30 metres last night with no one near him?
    Vlastuin had a shocker last night. On the evidence of last night (Keath >) Grimes > Martin.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Tigers are just the classic premiership team who need to coast through the season until the real stuff starts. They're just playing in bursts at the moment. A good half against us. A good quarter against Melbourne and a good 1.5 quarters last night. They need a little bit of extra incentive during the season to get up. Unfortunately for us, they had that after their loss to the Dees the week before with everyone questioning their credentials. It'll be interesting to see what they do to the giants next week.

I still think they're the team to beat along with Port and maybe Geelong. We'll have to wait and see with the latter. Melbourne certainly have done everything right up to this point but I'm just not sold on them yet. They got Richmond and Geelong at their absolute worst. They beat both fairly easily though, but I want to see what they're like when the heat is on for extended periods. Much the same as us.

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Who Richmond? Hardest start really? 6 out of 8 games at their home ground to start the season. Although they have played the inform teams of the comp right now albeit on their home deck.

Cotchin and Grimes were huge last week for them. Them losing Cotchin is akin to us losing Dunks for importance to how they play. Dusty got 21 disposals last night but I barely noticed him which I put it down to him having to get his own ball on the inside so their was no dusty on the outside.

Richmond were us last week and Geelong were Richmond. How much footy can change week from week!
    There was a chart somewhere I'll try and dig it out, it's never an exact science that's for sure.

Edit : This one.

5. Thanks The Adelaide Connection, ratsmac, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The most interesting team from that is Melbourne. Easiest draw up to rd 7 and then the hardest thereafter.

Also, going off this graphic (which of course requires salt I'm sure), I wouldn't expect the 8 to change as most of the top 8 sides, except Melbourne and Port, have fairly easy remaining fixtures than sides not in the 8. The only team I could see dropping out was Sydney, but they have the second easiest run home so you wouldn't think so. Of course, it's too early in the season to reason.

7. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cotchin and Grimes were important for them last week, pretty big omissions. Their midfield got trounced tonight. Esava put Pickett to the sword in the ruck proving you need 2 genuine ruck options against the Tigers to really stretch them.
    Thinking the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Going by the chart Richmond get an arm chair ride to the finals
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Going by the chart Richmond get an arm chair ride to the finals
    No surprise there. Without looking at their schedule, I’m assuming 90% of them are at the G
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    No surprise there. Without looking at their schedule, I’m assuming 90% of them are at the G
    For the record they get 14 games at the G. We have 10 at Marvel but we also play 2 home games at Ballarat. So let's call that 12 games at our home ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    For the record they get 14 games at the G. We have 10 at Marvel but we also play 2 home games at Ballarat. So let's call that 12 games at our home ground.
    Ok thanks for that.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    There was a chart somewhere I'll try and dig it out, it's never an exact science that's for sure.

Edit : This one.
    You're right about not being an exact science. I can't make any sense of the logic of that. Melbourne have played the 2 grand finalists from last year the saints who won a final and GWS away and are deemed to have the easiest draw so far. These champion data stats are weird!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right about not being an exact science. I can't make any sense of the logic of that. Melbourne have played the 2 grand finalists from last year the saints who won a final and GWS away and are deemed to have the easiest draw so far. These champion data stats are weird!
    My understanding is it took into account players missing etc.. But I can't find the part that explained the logic! I'll keep looking.

16. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On paper it seems weird, but Melbourne have gotten both Geelong and Richmond at the perfect time, Saints without Marshall and Ryder and GWS lost 3 key players in game. I rate them highly and you can only beat who's in front of you but it's undeniable that they have had a blessed run so far.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Collins is such a trust worthy defender, a real Dale Morris type. I watch most other games just to lust over good key defenders these days.

As an aside, I'm enjoying Jack Riewoldt in the special comments role.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

19. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam Collins is such a trust worthy defender, a real Dale Morris type. I watch most other games just to lust over good key defenders these days.

As an aside, I'm enjoying Jack Riewoldt in the special comments role.
    A lot of current players are pretty good in special comments. Then they retire and get institutionalised by channel 7 and lose the ability to provide any meaningful commentary.

21. Likes jeemak, DOG GOD, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our win over GWS away will look better as the season goes on.