2 10.00%
  • Delist

1 5.00%
  • Needs more time

15 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rating our list 2020 Buku Khamis 24

Polling continues to evaluate each player on our list starting with the highest number Lin Jong down to Matthew Suckling.
    The poll will run for a week and when your post in the poll if you can give a reason on your thoughts so we can share your insights.
    At the end we'll see how our list looks in the eyes of WOOF members.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rating our list 2020 Buku Khamis 24

A few stats:
    Height: 189cm
    Weight: 82Kg
    Games: 0

Buku Khamis became the Club's first Next Generation Academy recruit, added to the Club's playing list as a pre-selected rookie in November 2018. A relatively late bloomer in a football sense, Khamis, a refugee from South Sudan, moved to Australia in 2006 with his family and took up AFL in his last year of primary school. He is a product of the Dogs’ Next Generation Academy, and was a participant in the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation’s Ready SETTLE Go program. The athletic defender has the ability to take on the game with his impressive running ability, and possesses clean skills. He is a strong intercept mark and reads the flight of the ball well. Khamis represented Vic Metro and was awarded All-Australian selection in 2018. In his first season at the Kennel, Khamis made 18 VFL appearances for the Footscray Bulldogs, however did not breakthrough for an AFL debut.
    LINK

Post Thanks / Like

No idea with this one HD60. Saw him do a couple of nice things at VFL level last year, but that is it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it was going to hard without the VFL this year so I went with more time as the small samples I've seen looks like potential but that is all it is small samples.
    Our VFL watchers may have more insight if he's worth the wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Was pretty decent at VFL level - I remember an interview with Dale Morris last year, he rated Buku's skills highly.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

My recollection of vfl Buku looked ok and had a bit of a leap and a bit of dash without screaming pick me. So difficult when lads have not had vfl only scratch matches to grab attention of MC.

My recollection too is he plays in backline as a rebounding defender type and would compete with JJ, Wood, Dureya, Suckling etc - a part of ground we are flush with players. Makes it hard to break into side unless Buku is being groomed for multiple roles.

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buku was always going to take some time to find his feet at the level. From what I understand, one of the areas he has been challenged on has been to increase his urgency and intensity. Along with this, if he can capitalise more on his great physical attributes he may get there. He may be one of these players where a couple of really good performances is the fuel for some real self belief that gives him the push forward.

Kicks the ball really well. Has to get it in his hands more often.

Needs more time.

10. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted to give more time (1 year) if he cant get a game now with the way Bevo hands out first games he is in strife. the only reason I would give him another year is the fact that some Woofers have pumped him up and with the lack of VFL I would like to see him at least playing VFL to make an informed decision
    BB.

Looking forward - Naughton, Darcy and JUH. It will be the envy of everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Buku’s big break

Emerging defender Buku Khamis had already played a game of footy on Monday when he got the call up for the Western Bulldogs’ AAMI Community Series match against Melbourne.

Emerging defender Buku Khamis had already played a game of footy on Monday when he got the call up for the Western Bulldogs’ AAMI Community Series match against Melbourne.

The 20-year-old had been named on an extended bench for the pre-season match.

But he’d also made an important contribution across three quarters in the VFL side’s 105-point win against Casey Demons.

With Laitham Vandermeer (hip) and Aaron Naughton (arm) both injured in the opening half, Khamis got his opportunity.

The third-year Bulldog didn’t look out of place.

“I played a bit of VFL and then a half at AFL level, so it was quite an experience but it was really fun,” Khamis said.

“At half-time, Brent Prismall actually told me to put my gear on and then Chris Maple gave me the word that I’d be playing and I should warm up.

“That’s how it started.”

Khamis slotted into a key defensive post for the second half, as regular full back Alex Keath was swung forward.

He finished the night with six disposals and four marks.

“Just playing in front of a crowd – I haven’t played in front of a crowd like that, ever,” Khamis said.

“Getting a taste at AFL level was really pleasing and running out with the boys.

“I was coming in with an open mind that I might end up playing at AFL level. I was trying not to switch off mentally, just in case I was needed.

“For me, (the focus was) just backing my ability, communicating with my teammates and then when I get the chance in the air to spoil and mark.”

LINK

13. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good on him, he’s got plenty to work with. And he’s only 20, so young.

Glad we’ve given him another year. He should end up a good option for the mid size role that Wood/Crozier have both played.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

He looks good but would like to see his spoils get a bit more distance away from the contest. It felt like while he did a good job of getting a fist to the ball Melbourne were in a good position to capitalise on the spoil.

Plenty to work with though and encouraging signs for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    He looks good but would like to see his spoils get a bit more distance away from the contest. It felt like while he did a good job of getting a fist to the ball Melbourne were in a good position to capitalise on the spoil.

Plenty to work with though and encouraging signs for him.
    I distinctly remember one contest where he punched it a good 15-20 metres to towards the boundary, it was a fantastically timed and directed spoil.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing vertical leap but isn't overly quick for his size. Still only 20 I think he needs another year or two. He has good attributes but still not sold on his positioning and defensive capabilities. That may come with more time.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched him closely and thought he showed plenty, especially considering he came in after already having played a game that day and mid-way through it. Also didn't have the likes of Keath/Wood to guide him.

Despite this, I thought he showed a great ability to defend the high ball. He moves well in the phone box and has nice agility and his skill by foot is evident.

I do wish he had that extra step of pace but Monday was a really encouraging start.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

I was rapt for Buku having seen him play in the earlier game. Although raw, I see him as offering far more than L Young albeit he still has some way to go. A fave VFL player and maybe one day AFL player......