Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  124
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Richmond R7 2021

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's interesting. I don't agree with this speculation but apparently because Tilthorpe has played we are apparently considering playing Jamarra. To his credit I think Bevo has been very clear on where Marra is at and we should be patient.
    I thought from the very little I saw of the VFL game last week he looks a long way off AFL but clearly shows he has an incredible ceiling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I went and had a look at Melbourne and Richmond last week. Melbourne had a real sense of stage fright early and were second guessing with ball in hand. The result was that they invited Richmonds pressure and had to dump kicks down the line. Richmond set up really well behind the ball which then feeds their ball movement.

About 15-20 minutes in Melbourne finally settled and started backing themselves to either take kicks through the corridor or forward handball (leapfrog style) through the tigers wall. From that point in Richmond couldn’t lay a glove on them and looked very exposed.
    How do you think Friday night will play out?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Bevo said a few weeks back he's a fair way off playing so he must have developed considerably in a very short space of time if we are considering it. I'm not opposed to it if the MC can think he can make a contribution. It's a very big step up in terms of ground coverage though. Maybe we'll just plonk him at FF?
    There is no such thing as that anymore. At one stage on Friday night Bruce was in the top 3 on the ground for distance covered. Naughton also seems to cover plenty of ground. All our forwards are required to get on their bike.

4. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I meant Timmy. He's easily in the top 10 most talented on our list, imo. We also saw how influential the combo of Gawn/Jackson was in really stretching the Tigers across the ground and it's a shame we won't be able to do the same (this time).
    You could make the argument about his talent but not sure he is in our top 10. Bont, Libba, Macrae, Treloar, Keath, Williams, Daniel, Hunter and Dunkley are what I would argue is our definitive top 9. Then you have Bruce, Naughton, Bailey Smith, Dale, Wood, English and Crozier in the next batch. I'd have a fair few of them ahead of English for actual performances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I went and had a look at Melbourne and Richmond last week. Melbourne had a real sense of stage fright early and were second guessing with ball in hand. The result was that they invited Richmonds pressure and had to dump kicks down the line. Richmond set up really well behind the ball which then feeds their ball movement.

About 15-20 minutes in Melbourne finally settled and started backing themselves to either take kicks through the corridor or forward handball (leapfrog style) through the tigers wall. From that point in Richmond couldn’t lay a glove on them and looked very exposed.
    yeah spot on with that assessment. If it weren't for May and Lever and some poor finishing that first 20 minutes could have been a 6 goal lead and game over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How many times can a side that has won three flags out of four come out breathing fire after a loss?

I can envisage them coming to play, choosing to be considered the underdog perhaps. But breathing fire for the second time within a few weeks? Not saying it can't or won't happen, rather, perhaps wondering if this is what Richmond is now?
    Yep, how many times can you use a loss as motivation to get yourself up for the next game? At some you just need to start playing consistently well you're 3-5 and playing catch-up.

A few Richmond mates are concerned that this is what Richmond are now... haven't adjusted to rule changes, have injuries, lack a little depth and are very gettable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    You could make the argument about his talent but not sure he is in our top 10. Bont, Libba, Macrae, Treloar, Keath, Williams, Daniel, Hunter and Dunkley are what I would argue is our definitive top 9. Then you have Bruce, Naughton, Bailey Smith, Dale, Wood, English and Crozier in the next batch. I'd have a fair few of them ahead of English for actual performances.
    On raw natural talent, I have him behind the Bont and only marginally. Perhaps Caleb could mount an argument. End of list.

Whether he does the work to exploit that natural talent is another thing entirely. Plenty of super-talented guys never get near their ceiling.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Dimma was pretty open in his presser, saying our attacking handball game is open to Richmond's 'blitz pressure' and it will come down to which team's system is able to overcome the other. Expect it to be very hot early.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Dimma was pretty open in his presser, saying our attacking handball game is open to Richmond's 'blitz pressure' and it will come down to which team's system is able to overcome the other. Expect it to be very hot early.
    I wonder if they'll go with the keepings off game plan they used very effectively against us last season. If I recall correctly they really changed up their method and kept more possession than normal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I wonder if they'll go with the keepings off game plan they used very effectively against us last season. If I recall correctly they really changed up their method and kept more possession than normal.
    Yeah good call, Dimma could be playing funny buggers. Thankfully Dusty isn't there to kick goals from everywhere.

Geez we were bad that night. Trengove in the ruck. Lloyd, Suckling and Gowers up forward. No Naughton. Gross.
    Last edited by comrade; 28-04-2021 at 03:15 PM.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah good call, Dimma could be playing funny buggers. Thankfully Dusty isn't there to kick goals from everywhere.

Geez we were bad that night. Trengove in the ruck. Lloyd, Suckling and Gowers up forward. No Naughton. Gross.
    That was a shocking game.

Prior to that we beat them in 4 of the previous 5, with the one defeat by 3 points where we could have won after our Lynch hit the post in the dying minute.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That was a shocking game.

Prior to that we beat them in 4 of the previous 5, with the one defeat by 3 points where we could have won after our Lynch hit the post in the dying minute.
    I assume that’s why they changed up their plans against us. I thought Hardwick and his team did amazingly well that night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I assume that’s why they changed up their plans against us. I thought Hardwick and his team did amazingly well that night.
    Collingwood tried it in round 1 but failed. I am confident Bevo has a plan if they try it again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Collingwood tried it in round 1 but failed. I am confident Bevo has a plan if they try it again.
    Bevo spent A LOT of time in his post match presser talking about teams defending us by playing the uncontested mark style of defence, referred to Gold Coast, West Coast and GWS trying it. Wasn't overly happy with our team defence against GWS, he mentioned a lack of energy to compress the ground. I imagine it has been a big focus this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    On raw natural talent, I have him behind the Bont and only marginally. Perhaps Caleb could mount an argument. End of list.

Whether he does the work to exploit that natural talent is another thing entirely. Plenty of super-talented guys never get near their ceiling.
    While English has some good attributes, he is nowhere near the talent that is Naughton.

I actually believe that Naughton is our most naturally talented. Speed, agility and natural aggression that is a very rare combination and he can also do it in the air and at ground level.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Likes 1eyedog, azabob liked this post