Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  124
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Richmond R7 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He gets caught holding the ball a lot trying to do too much. As I said earlier in this thread, I am not convinced he will make it, he has a lot to learn.

I feel a little sorry for Cordy as we have been trying to make him a Key PP for the past 5 years, but he really is only a 3rd tall.

Giving away 7,8 cm to Lynch and other big forwards doesn't help him at all.

What worries me is next week he will probably play on Mckay.
    Yep, and they will try to get McKay one out in the goal square like Richmond did with Lynch. It’s ok to say that if our mids win the battle, the ball won’t get down there enough to hurt us, but McKay only needs 5 opportunities to kick 5 on Cordy.
    Carlton has been a bogey team, with their lesser mids always breaking even. I’m very interested to see how we handled last night mentally as a team, and I think next week will shape our season depending on what we dish up, as we have some very hard games on the horizon. If we want to be top 4, the likes of Carlton and St.kilda have to be wins.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The West game irked me quite a bit. Notwithstanding the ridiculous free kick given to Houli that probably rattled him a little bit, as Testekill points out he's got an element of selfishness in the way he plays that doesn't sit well with me.

At his age, talent and position he needs to have a team first mentality. It's literally what every small player who ends up becoming a good player focuses on first and foremost and the rest follows.
    Agree Jeemak. Trying to do to much maybe? He hasn't played in a fair while, maybe wanted to cement his spot by doing it all which in turn will probably have the opposite effect. I'm sure he'll get shown some of these highlights during the week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He gets caught holding the ball a lot trying to do too much. As I said earlier in this thread, I am not convinced he will make it, he has a lot to learn.

I feel a little sorry for Cordy as we have been trying to make him a Key PP for the past 5 years, but he really is only a 3rd tall.

Giving away 7,8 cm to Lynch and other big forwards doesn't help him at all.

What worries me is next week he will probably play on Mckay.
    Agree 100% on Cordy. Getting smashed. Wasn't his best night. But he is 193cm and listed at 90kg. Lynch is 200cm and listed at 99kg. 7cm and 10kg is a lot to be giving away. (Gardner is 197cm and 93kg).

Post Thanks / Like

West needs a run of games to adjust to the pace and intensity of AFL football. It's difficult to judge wherever he can make it playing one week in, another week out. I will reserve my judgement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    West needs a run of games to adjust to the pace and intensity of AFL football. It's difficult to judge wherever he can make it playing one week in, another week out. I will reserve my judgement.
    Yeah, agreed. Last night was a stinker but it wasn’t a lack of effort, rather a lack of composure that can only be improved with more experience. Give him at least one more week to atone and reassess from there.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

6. Thanks MrMahatma thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Inspired Richmond second-half surge shows Tigers' classic gameplan still works, leaves questions for Western Bulldogs
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...2021/100109048

Reasonable analysis of the game. Tigers pushing numbers up to the stoppage to stop the handball game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    I think this is a fair call on all the guys who were brought in. No surprise that Lippa was the only one to have an impact.

Post Thanks / Like

Late to the analysis as I spent yesterday wandering around legoland with the phone radio tuned to MMM/ABC/SEN/3AW - I changed it around a lot). Kind of surreal to be on the otherwise of the world at a major attraction and still get to hear the game live.

First things first, Richmond are a good team. Though I don't think the best team that we will face in 2021. The are though a very good team and have a number of gears that they can go through; a way of changing things up when things aren't working.

We were due a loss. That's a bit simplistic, but we had so many players playing out of their skin, it seemed to me that we were due a down game where there were too many passengers. Last week it seemed that that is where it may be headed, but then we found space and time in the last and blew the GIants away. This week we couldn't, despite lifting in the last and probably being on top for the first 10 mins or so. The Bruce miss off the ground we the nail.

Why were so many players down? Credit has to go to Richmond for applying pressure and getting numbers to the contest, but equally I think we also need to achnowledge that too many of our players did no win their position, Focus has been placed on West/Schache/JJ who clearly had poor games from an output level, but Bevo's presser today suggested the culprits were much wider. I don't think out mids worked hard enough for each other. Dunks missing was big today and give he will be out of a few weeks we need to find a solution. It seemed too often that rather than the waves and clusters we were used to during the first 6 weeks, today we were relying on individual brilliance.

Couple of disappointing things:

1) Hunter's disposal - a number of times he chose the wrong option needs to be better than that as a senior player, but wasn't today;

2) Treloar - just didn't seem to be in the game today. Stat's may indicate he got enough of the ball but he wasn't overly effective;

3) Schache - got to halve contests. Two balls went to him in the 3rd, before Richmond got their run on and Balta was able to intercept. Has to halve contests otherwise nhe is a liability in the forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

We had 4 players come into the side for the game against Richmond: Josh Schache, Mitch Hannan, Patrick Lipinski and Rhylee West.
    How did you rate their performance? Who gets another chance against Carlton?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We had 4 players come into the side for the game against Richmond: Josh Schache, Mitch Hannan, Patrick Lipinski and Rhylee West.
    Lipinski definite.

Hannan and West should probably get a few games to settle. I thought Hannan was ok but needs to get involved more. West was terrible with worrying signs, but I'm hopeful those signs were a symptom of trying too hard.

Schache is finished.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Lipinski definite.

Hannan and West should probably get a few games to settle. I thought Hannan was ok but needs to get involved more. West was terrible with worrying signs, but I'm hopeful those signs were a symptom of trying too hard.

Schache is finished.
    agree.

I am not sold on West, but give him another game and see how he goes.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Lipinski stays.
    West, maybe 1 more week, but I’m worried he won’t make it.
    Hannan, I was not an advocate of, and seems VFL player for mine.
    Schache has proved he doesn’t have the intensity of an AFL footballer. It’s over

Post Thanks / Like

Lipinski was ok, what he lacks in leg speed he makes up for with quick disposal. I didn't love his game but he has an assuredness with the ball in hand I find comforting.

Of the others. All non contributors really on the night.

West was very poor seems to play with a slight entitlement but maybe I'm over analysing him and it's just how he presents with inexperience.
    I'm not sure what his best position is? He looks to have a very shallow kick, and doesn't have lightning speed so small forward doesn't seem natural.
    He seems a smart player, but jury is out so far for me.

Hannan just looked like a guy who hadn't played at the level for a while. He's shown he's capable and I think he can add to the side so I'm ok with his senior retention for now. He does seem very straight line but has great pressure and a decent aerial game.

Schache. I want to say something good. But he looked so out of his depth. Granted it was some A grade opposition but that moment on the wing where he telegraphed the kick for what seemed like an eternity, only for the option to dry up, and subsequently turned it over was almost enough for me.
    I want to give him another chance, he has looked better at the VFL level and appears to be a confidence player, however his goose might be cooked.

15. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lipinski did enough and will be unlucky to get dropped.
    West could more of a chip off the old block and his best position could be libba's and in time this is where he will end up if can can stay on the list.
    Hannan looks like he may offer something forward of the ball but could have been a little under done on Friday and should build from there.
    Schache has failed at his opportunities when he has been given them. Could one of those players that needs time in the seniors to grow into the role his given but reality is can a team afford to carry someone that has minimal effect for a number of games.
    I think he's gone if not at seasons end at least in 2022.

As a side note it was great to see Dale launch one up the middle from the kick out. Quite often I see a players making space in the centre of the ground for the kick outs and the person kicking either doesn't look there or is more intent to go to the flanks and the safety of the boundary line or the taller options.
    I wish players would trust themselves and if the quick kick up the guts to a player in the clear is on take it.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Lipinski did enough and will be unlucky to get dropped.
    West could more of a chip off the old block and his best position could be libba's and in time this is where he will end up if can can stay on the list.
    Hannan looks like he may offer something forward of the ball but could have been a little under done on Friday and should build from there.
    Schache has failed at his opportunities when he has been given them. Could one of those players that needs time in the seniors to grow into the role his given but reality is can a team afford to carry someone that has minimal effect for a number of games.
    I think he's gone if not at seasons end at least in 2022.

As a side note it was great to see Dale launch one up the middle from the kick out. Quite often I see a players making space in the centre of the ground for the kick outs and the person kicking either doesn't look there or is more intent to go to the flanks and the safety of the boundary line or the taller options.
    I wish players would trust themselves and if the quick kick up the guts to a player in the clear is on take it.
    Totally agree with what you say about the kick outs Hotdog60. Dale had the nous and the balls to make that play and he nailed it. He should be kicking out all the time. It boggles me why so many teams don’t try this play more often, instead heading to the boundary with a pack, including the oppositions ruckman.