Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  124
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Richmond R7 2021

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Our mids were not slaughtered. In the third quarter, Tigers won most of the Centre clearances, but overall for the game CC were even, we won stoppages, overall clearances but they ended up getting on top of the CP. Martin won the Hitouts, but Nankervis was good around the ground. This is where we missed English.

5 min to go there was 5 points in it, but they were more dangerous up forward. Houli with 31 disposals from the backline, drove most of their forward run and set up their forwards.
    C'mon man we were slaughtered in the third quarter, and that's what won it for Richmond. After that we were just trying to hang in there and give ourselves a shot. If 20 minutes without a touch in your forward half doesn't count as your midfield being slaughtered then we need to start to redefine terms.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

2. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Don't agree. Dunks, English and Williams out hurt us as much as Richmond's outs.
    We're 6-1. Let's revisit if Carlton manage to get hold of us next week.
    Dunks, English, Williams... And Richards, McLean, VDM, Jong & Gardner if this a fantasy footy hypothetical.

I’d have Gardner over Cordy. VDM over West. English over Schache. Richards over Scott. Dunks over JJ. Williams over Duryea. McLean over Hannan based on fitness.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    C'mon man we were slaughtered in the third quarter, and that's what won it for Richmond. After that we were just trying to hang in there and give ourselves a shot. If 20 minutes without a touch in your forward half doesn't count as your midfield being slaughtered then we need to start to redefine terms.
    I am talking overall game.

I said we were beaten in the third quarter out of the centre, an that is where Richmond pulled back their deficit and got on top.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes Stefcep liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Game. Over.

Need to bounce back strongly against the blues.
    Timely reminder they've beaten us the last two times we've faced them by a combined 96 points.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Disappointed with the loss but it's far from doom and gloom. There must be a lot we can learn from this loss.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonight showed how important Dunkley is to our midfield. He’s basically our only mid who is willing to run both ways. Our midfield needs to become more accountable. The second half tonight looked a lot like 2020.

10. Likes soupman, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    4. Scott, what the hell is your purpose on our team? I made it a mission to watch him tonight, he is beyond useless, McNeal offers WAY more than this bloke.
    Scott had 18 pressure acts, equal second (with Bont) only to Libba (36) for us, and equal 6th for the game. For context the rest of our forwards (Hannan, Bruce, Naughton, Schache, West, JJ) had 43 between them (7ish each). He didn't have great game by any means but kicked a tidy snap goal and wasn't exactly overwhelmed for opportunity in the second half as a forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    Looking for a different role. Scott is an outside small; he has pace and good disposal. Wallis can’t play that game. Wallis can play as a small forward … front and centre. But importantly, he can play as an in-and-under in the guts. Giving Libba a break. A bit of what Dunkley’s role was last week.
    Rightly or wrongly we went with Lipinski as Dunks replacement in tandem with Bailey Smith moving more inside. Lipinski's form has been good and was deserving of that chance. I personally don't rate Wallis as a mid at all, but i can see where you're coming from. Unfortunately Wallis hasn't performed as a mid at AFL level since maybe early 2019, so I can understand the reluctance to pick him for that role based on one half of footy against the Gold Coast reserves.

12. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonight showed how important Dunkley is to our midfield. He’s basically our only mid who is willing to run both ways. Our midfield needs to become more accountable. The second half tonight looked a lot like 2020.
    It's no coincidence that our best footy of the past three years has been when Dunks is playing full-time mid. We are really going to miss him for the next few months.

14. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Thats the best 20 minutes Richmond has put together in 5 years. And our worst. And in then end it was 22 points the difference.

That miss by Bont was the most critical miss all season so far. He kicks that and its not just 6 points on the scoreboard, it alters the mentality for them and us.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't agree when you check the tackle count.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I am talking overall game.

I said we were beaten in the third quarter out of the centre, an that is where Richmond pulled back their deficit and got on top.
    I feel like we're splitting hairs. Yes technically we weren't "slaughtered" for a whole game, but certainly what lost it for us was that we basically couldn't buy a clearance for the quarter that killed us, and on top of that showed our usual complete inability or unwillingness to stop the opposition from doing so.

Post Thanks / Like

Disappointed with that tonight but let’s hope we can regroup for next Sunday now against Carlton. First half was fairly decent. Was impressed by our defensive efforts in the 2nd quarter. Bont miss before half time was a big moment in the game. Slot that one through and we are 4 goals up at the main break. 3rd quarter is where we lost it obviously. Could not get it forward and get something happening.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Can't agree when you check the tackle count.
    Tackle counts do not imply you run both ways. In fact, a lot of hard running both ways do not even result in tackles. The pressure acts that Dunks applies have so many implications. From stopping clean ball use to limiting metres gained. All without even applying a tackle. You can get a tackle being in the right place at the right time, but gut running to prevent easy disposal doesn’t get registered on the stat sheet. Unfortunately too many of our mids want the cheap ball on the outside and simply wait for someone else to do the hard work. That guy was Libba tonight but he can’t do it all on his own. Bont really needs to stand up as a leader here. Leader of the club and leader of the midfield.

20. Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tackle counts do not imply you run both ways. In fact, a lot of hard running both ways do not even result in tackles. The pressure acts that Dunks applies have so many implications. From stopping clean ball use to limiting metres gained. All without even applying a tackle. You can get a tackle being in the right place at the right time, but gut running to prevent easy disposal doesn’t get registered on the stat sheet.
    Leads the competition for smothers and was on record pace for the season. I completely agree that tackle counts don't have anything to do with running both ways - a lot of them come within a contested ball situation, and don't equate to defensive spread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    So, about that depth eh?
    The depth is there, but we’re probably missing 4-6 1st team players (Dunkley, Williams, English, Gardner, VDM) and then another 3-4 who would be next in line (McLean, Richards, Jong, McNeil) which doesn’t help... and there’s being able to play at the AFL level and then being able to play against the best, and a few of our boys who came in cold (there’s quite a gap between GC reserves and Richmond) were shown up tonight.

23. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Likes Scraggers liked this post