Thanks Thanks:  32
Likes Likes:  124
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Richmond R7 2021

we had them on the ropes for a quarter and a half - total dominance. could have been a 6 goal lead at qtr time. When they stepped up we stepped down and either the moment infront of that big a crowd or the intimidation of playing “the benchmark” was too much.

Never seen smith look that nervous with the ball. Live and learn - real view of our depth.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That 3rd quarter was “deer in the headlights” stuff. Their mids destroyed us and they were able to lock it into their fwd 50 for pretty much the entire quarter. 16-0 inside 50’s at one stage is complete dominance and full on embarrassing.

A lot to be learnt.

We may well be a top 4 team based on year so far, but nowhere near a top of the ladder team.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    The game was still there to be won when Lipinksy hit the post.
    Agree, it was there to be won the entire game.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a long season. In 2016 we got dismantled by the Cats by 57 points in round 13 at Docklands, thought we could probably put on a good show in the finals after being done them again by 25 points at Kardinia Park and then blitzed the finals to win the flag the hardest of hard ways.

We have some fundamentals to work on, but the experience at the G and in front of a pretty big crowd against the reigning premiers who really needed to win will be invaluable to the journey.

All that and we didn't nearly play as well as we could have, in part because of what the Tigers did to us and how we responded, but largely because we just played badly.

Still really excited about the season.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    we had them on the ropes for a quarter and a half - total dominance. could have been a 6 goal lead at qtr time. When they stepped up we stepped down and either the moment infront of that big a crowd or the intimidation of playing “the benchmark” was too much.

Never seen smith look that nervous with the ball. Live and learn - real view of our depth.
    Not sure about that. The only thing that made us look good at quarter time was their set shot efficiency. Bont's miss at half time hurt badly.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think both teams were inefficient, the Tigers just a little more so.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don't buy that this is the death knell for our season. We were as bad as you wil ever see in that third quarter and deserve heat for it, but there were enough positives in the first half to keep me hopeful.

Comrade's (I think but as if I'd scroll up) point about a lack of good ball users in the back half was really true. Those constant Cordy-Wood-Keath-Wood-Cordy-Contest on the Wing switches were brutal and sucked the air out of our ball movement and killed any chance of building momentum we might have had. Not really sure how to address it other than saying "get the ball to Dale more" but credit to Richmond for forcing our hand with it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

11. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Yeah I don't buy that this is the death knell for our season. We were as bad as you wil ever see in that third quarter and deserve heat for it, but there were enough positives in the first half to keep me hopeful.

Comrade's (I think but as if I'd scroll up) point about a lack of good ball users in the back half was really true. Those constant Cordy-Wood-Keath-Wood-Cordy-Contest on the Wing switches were brutal and sucked the air out of our ball movement and killed any chance of building momentum we might have had. Not really sure how to address it other than saying "get the ball to Dale more" but credit to Richmond for forcing our hand with it.
    Williams will help as he a) has the courage to run through the press and b) the ability to execute a difficult kick. Wood, Cordy and to a lesser extent Keath wanted no part in biting off a press busting kick and Richmond just ate it up.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

13. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At this point JJ is a fraud. Pushed out of defence because we can't carry a rebounder that won't crack in and no impact forward of center, we should be looking into shopping him around at the end of the year because he's having no impact and won't exactly get better.
    Schache was given a chance and pretty much stamped his papers, a senior player on the fringe needs to offer more and he was a non-entity.
    West was selfish and undisciplined, he showed the same selfish play in the VFL game against the Suns. He can play yes but he hurt us really badly last night.

A lot of our leaders let us down out there, only a handful of defenders could hold their heads up high.

15. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    At this point JJ is a fraud. Pushed out of defence because we can't carry a rebounder that won't crack in and no impact forward of center, we should be looking into shopping him around at the end of the year because he's having no impact and won't exactly get better.
    Schache was given a chance and pretty much stamped his papers, a senior player on the fringe needs to offer more and he was a non-entity.
    West was selfish and undisciplined, he showed the same selfish play in the VFL game against the Suns. He can play yes but he hurt us really badly last night.

A lot of our leaders let us down out there, only a handful of defenders could hold their heads up high.
    Saying what everyone is thinking. JJ is cooked and every club know it.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The West game irked me quite a bit. Notwithstanding the ridiculous free kick given to Houli that probably rattled him a little bit, as Testekill points out he's got an element of selfishness in the way he plays that doesn't sit well with me.

At his age, talent and position he needs to have a team first mentality. It's literally what every small player who ends up becoming a good player focuses on first and foremost and the rest follows.

18. Thanks kruder thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill, EasternWest, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Agree, it was there to be won the entire game.
    Bont slotting his set shot, west passing it to one of the two free players in the goal square and naughton slotting easy shots would have made a big difference early

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Not sure about that. The only thing that made us look good at quarter time was their set shot efficiency. Bont's miss at half time hurt badly.
    And our set shot efficiency. They were turning the ball over and making mistakes because we had them covered. We were playing our style of football and they couldn’t keep up. Lynch missed one goal he must have kicked - the rest were 40 metres out on an angle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The West game irked me quite a bit. Notwithstanding the ridiculous free kick given to Houli that probably rattled him a little bit, as Testekill points out he's got an element of selfishness in the way he plays that doesn't sit well with me.

At his age, talent and position he needs to have a team first mentality. It's literally what every small player who ends up becoming a good player focuses on first and foremost and the rest follows.
    He gets caught holding the ball a lot trying to do too much. As I said earlier in this thread, I am not convinced he will make it, he has a lot to learn.

I feel a little sorry for Cordy as we have been trying to make him a Key PP for the past 5 years, but he really is only a 3rd tall.

Giving away 7,8 cm to Lynch and other big forwards doesn't help him at all.

What worries me is next week he will probably play on Mckay.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tigers were completely smashed by a young Sydney Swans outfit a few weeks ago. One week is a long time in football. Premierships are not won in April. The Tigers have shown this in the last few years. We were not our best last night and didn't stand up when the heat come. We will learn from that. We learnt a lot about a lot of players too. We will be better for that. Hopefully we can bounce back hard.

23. Likes Testekill, The bulldog tragician liked this post