Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  179
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728293031 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Carlton R8 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Is it really so dire? Melbourne looked woeful for 2 and a half quarters against North a couple of weeks ago, before they too got on top.
    I agree we fluffed things against Richmond, and we need to do better. I don't think we have massive cracks. Carlton, North they have massive cracks. I think we've got some improving to do, but I don't think its that bad.
    It’s not that bad and I’d prefer to have cracks now than at round 18, we have time to fix them. Injuries to key players aren’t helping but that doesn’t excuse the output of about 6 or so players who are very down on form and the overall lack of defending we saw for about 70% of game time. We know our Achilles heel is the defensive group against big key forwards and we know that it requires total buy in from every single player up the field to restrict supply. We’re not completely buying in right now and it’s hurting us. But there is still plenty of time to fix it and build momentum towards finals.

English has been a huge loss as an aside. No way Weitering takes all those marks if English is there.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it really so dire? Melbourne looked woeful for 2 and a half quarters against North a couple of weeks ago, before they too got on top.
    I agree we fluffed things against Richmond, and we need to do better. I don't think we have massive cracks. Carlton, North they have massive cracks. I think we've got some improving to do, but I don't think its that bad.
    It was pretty dire there for a while, but it’s such an even competition sometimes belief is half the battle. The Blues really should’ve put us away they muffed loads of chances and you could see their heads drop when the tide turned. Not sure what’s going on with Cripps he looks a shadow of the player he was?

Despite the win I walked away uncertain of where we are at. But as you say every team has their struggles and it can be a trap to focus on the negatives. Previously we lose that game.

I watched the replay, it really is a game that doesn’t translate well to TV. It was like a different match, you can’t see the structure and work off / without the ball, collective effort stuff at all which I consume with interest at the ground.

I thought we struggled in this phase of the game and found myself gesticulating like an airport traffic controller for most of it trying to will players to run to the right spots! I’m sure that’s why Luke was on the boundary late, he was as animated as I’ve ever seen him down there. Was really orchestrating things. Buku off for most of the last was fair indication the structure was not what was expected.

Can’t be anything but mostly positive with this start but as we all know the real test is to come.

4. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It was pretty dire there for a while, but it’s such an even competition sometimes belief is half the battle. The Blues really should’ve put us away they muffed loads of chances and you could see their heads drop when the tide turned. Not sure what’s going on with Cripps he looks a shadow of the player he was?

Despite the win I walked away uncertain of where we are at. But as you say every team has their struggles and it can be a trap to focus on the negatives. Previously we lose that game.

I watched the replay, it really is a game that doesn’t translate well to TV. It was like a different match, you can’t see the structure and work off / without the ball, collective effort stuff at all which I consume with interest at the ground.

I thought we struggled in this phase of the game and found myself gesticulating like an airport traffic controller for most of it trying to will players to run to the right spots! I’m sure that’s why Luke was on the boundary late, he was as animated as I’ve ever seen him down there. Was really orchestrating things. Buku off for most of the last was fair indication the structure was not what was expected.

Can’t be anything but mostly positive with this start but as we all know the real test is to come.
    Agree, I thought we were gone up til last 7 or so minutes of the 3rd Qtr, and was fuming.
    And yep whilst I was rapt to see Buku get a game, it was clear that he's got some work to do before he can comfortable slot into the back 6, and do the role required.
    It does feel that we're really struggling at the moment to replace our structure minus English, Williams and Dunkley. Not sure we've figured it all out yet. At least we should get Williams and Timmy back this week, which should help. We just need someone else to step up and cover Dunks' role.. that is going to be tough, maybe Wallis spending a lot of time inside for Footscray is a clue that we seem him as filling in that role down the track?

6. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, I thought we were gone up til last 7 or so minutes of the 3rd Qtr, and was fuming.
    And yep whilst I was rapt to see Buku get a game, it was clear that he's got some work to do before he can comfortable slot into the back 6, and do the role required.
    It does feel that we're really struggling at the moment to replace our structure minus English, Williams and Dunkley. Not sure we've figured it all out yet. At least we should get Williams and Timmy back this week, which should help. We just need someone else to step up and cover Dunks' role.. that is going to be tough, maybe Wallis spending a lot of time inside for Footscray is a clue that we seem him as filling in that role down the track?
    Think Buku is a way off in defending smaller forwards, and Carlton were able to manipulate things for Buku to end up on a small a fair few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Think Buku is a way off in defending smaller forwards, and Carlton were able to manipulate things for Buku to end up on a small a fair few times.
    He's certainly got some homework to do. Given his journey so far just to get a game, I suspect he'll really knuckle down and take in the feedback and learnings going forward. If he can go back to Footscray and apply himself, there is definitely opportunity for him. He's got some great attributes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Just on Hannan, he has had an interrupted preseason( didn't play much last year either) and is playing a difficult role in a new side I think we need to give him time. I remember when Crozier first came in and had knee problems early looked well off the place but eventually got going with continuity.
    He was on managed minutes two weeks ago in the VFL.
    It just looks like we've rushed him back too early. Weightman is knocking the door down with effort and deserves a chance.
    With VFL having the bye though dropping Hannan doesn't give him a chance to get his match conditioning up to scratch.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes kruder, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He was on managed minutes two weeks ago in the VFL.
    It just looks like we've rushed him back too early. Weightman is knocking the door down with effort and deserves a chance.
    With VFL having the bye though dropping Hannan doesn't give him a chance to get his match conditioning up to scratch.
    Yeah I agree, we rushed him into the team. He didn't look ready in the VFL game against GWS. I was very surprised to see him included after that performance. It will be interesting to see if he keeps his place this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure with Wally, I think he went into the midfield against the Giants as a game day move rather than a bigger picture plan for him in the AFL side?

Hope he gets back in, but I think he's pretty far back in the midfielder queue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    He should watch Zaine Cordy. His tackle on Betts was outstanding.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    He should watch Zaine Cordy. His tackle on Betts was outstanding.
    Agreed. I began drafting an obituary for Zaine when I saw that situation developing but he played it perfectly.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I quite enjoyed that.

We really didn't perform as we should've for much of the game but I felt weirdly confident we would put it together and at least give it a proper shake.

Bont was immense. Yes he was wasteful and lacking in execution at times but he was awesome. Our only mid for much of the game that was actually an attacking presence.
    His physicality was impressive and something that has really improved in the last year.

Bruce was also great. The first time he has repetitively stood up in important moments and delivered. His accuracy was so important and even his stints in the ruck were productive.

Not sure I liked playing Daniel forward, even if he did do his job really well. We have lacked composure and kicking skills out of defence of late in the absence of Williams (and the inclusion of Wood, Crozier, Cordy) so not a fan of basically putting all of that onto Dale's shoulders.

Khamis had an ok debut. Didnt really do anything good and is potentially the most responsible for the fast start of Betts but held his own for the most part. Not sure he stays in the side though if we don't want to play him for more than 60 odd percent of the game.

Really rated the games of McNeill and Scott. They don't get heaps of it but it is a bit Richmond like in that what they add isn't necessarily on the stats sheet. Their pressure is great and if they can own the few moment steel get like Scott did then they deliver. Played the role much better than say West's attempt last week.

Hannan I like and think will be good, but has not clicked yet. Came in pretty underdone from the VFL it seems and it is weird how some players are made to fight for weeks just to get a shitty game out of position (West) while others just get thrown in before they are ready. Would be open to dropping him but we have come this far so maybe he is about to click.

Was pretty meh on Sweet to halftime but thought his competitiveness there in the second half was good. Would like to see more from him to see if he can be a positive contributor and not just a stopper but he should be reasonably happy.

Treloar had a pretty good finish to the game. My impressions pre-us were that he was an energetic panic kick merchant but his foothills have been great. Fantastic range, can hit up some nice passes and convertd on the run very well which is a nice change from the plethora of guys we love handballing to for points (Crozier and Jj particularly).

Thought Weitering and Jones worked very well both individually and to help each other out. Naughton had a hard game against them but thought to his credit still.managed to have an impact. That pack mark was awesome. Good signs if your key forward can have a quiet game and still have an influence.

Cordy was ok. If he didn't kick it out on the full for no reason and also try the stupidly ambitious kick to a 1 on 4 then I would have been pretty happy. I still prefer Young but Cordy was ok.

Keath was fantastic. McKay still had an impact but not sure Keath could've done much more. Loved his aggression and he was really the only good bit of our defence for a lot of the game.

Was a very fun last quarter and a pretty positive result. Carlton aren't good, but they are a team that has troubled us in the past. We have a tendency to raise or lower our level of performance to our oppositions so even if we don't play to our potential as long as we secure the win im pretty happy. Also nice to have another game under our belt where we were challenged and rose to meet it. Practice with getting important goals and coming back from decent deficits can only hold us in good stead going forward. Pleasing to see a number of key players deliver on that front too, Naughton and Bruce probably the two I wanted to see it from the most.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Caleb was the other one worth mentioning. He's a weapon down back, and makes good decisions quickly ( as we already know ).
    Great to see him taking contested marks and also not afraid to show a bit of mongrel (When one of our blokes went down.) He's an important leader down back.

Glad we won.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

We got our act together when we needed too, and there’s no doubt having Williams, Dunks and English missing have been huge losses. Hopefully have 2 of them back this week.

When we are flat, we are really flat, and if we play quarter 2 and 3 against port this week, there is no coming back. We need 4 quarters of hungry team orientated football.

Yes we won, but other than the last quarter, I wasn’t happy with the way we played, the way we defended and the way we moved the ball from defence. These need to be ironed out and we need a more consistent effort. This Port game will show where we REALLY are.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Coaches Votes

10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
    6 Tom Liberatore (WB)
    6 Josh Bruce (WB)
    4 Jacob Weitering (CARL)
    3 Eddie Betts (CARL)
    1 Sam Docherty (CARL)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Thanks azabob thanked for this post