Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs expecting essendon to renew dunkley interest

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The type of bucks that would put him well on the way to affording a second house.
    Or he could buy another one with the money we pay him AND he'd have also have premiership medallions to put in each of them as well.

As for wooden spoons you can buy them at Cole's for less than $3.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    And all dignity.
    Didn’t realise he had any left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    half will disappear in tax
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    And all dignity.
    I love you both but give me a spell.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs expecting Essendon to renew Dunkley interest

We signed Josh on a long term deal on the cheap (as backed up by his manager a few years back) before he 'broke out'... that isn't our fault, that's good list management on our behalf and poor player management from Josh's team.

He has every reason to request a rise when the next deal is negotiated, but we are well within our rights to hold firm until that day comes.

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    We signed Josh on a long term deal on the cheap (as backed up by his manager a few years back) before he 'broke out'... that isn't our fault, that's good list management on our behalf and poor player management from Josh's team.

He has every reason to request a rise when the next deal is negotiated, but we are well within our rights to hold firm until that day comes.
    My read at the time was that it was slightly unders but not hugely, in that we offered him a 450K+ type deal over 3-4 years before he'd completely established himself which was a big vote of confidence in him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    My read at the time was that it was slightly unders but not hugely, in that we offered him a 450K+ type deal over 3-4 years before he'd completely established himself which was a big vote of confidence in him
    Agree.. we didn't under-sell him by too much and at the time the player manager had no beef with us, in fact commended us in being pro-active with regard to securing Josh to a long term deal.

8. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    He signed a 3 year extension in the middle of a career best season in 2019. It's hard to believe he would have signed for much less than the $450K you have suggested, so it's unlikely he is being significantly underpaid at present.

It will be interesting to know what kind of offers he receives as Tom Browne reckoned Essendon were only offering him around $600K at the time, doesn't seem enough to pry a player of his ilk out.

10. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he is showing again this year that he is All-Australian quality when played in his preferred position as a midfielder.

It was good business from Essendon to try and prise him out when he was performing below his best, and good business from us to hold on to him. In the end it will be up to Josh whether he wants to stay at the Bulldogs on less money, or go to a new club where he may get paid more and have more responsibility but less support.

If they do come again this year, it will be interesting to see what our strategy is - if the offer is not much better than one first-round pick, I think we could just hold out for a free agency compo pick.

Post Thanks / Like

I think with the circumstances of Essendon’s approach last year - much more money and much more midfield time - he was always gonna take it. Not sure why there’s a bunch of hate for him from a few.

You’d expect teams will try and pick apart our midfield. Dunkley, Smith and Lippinski will definitely get targeted. Hopefully we keep them together long enough to win a flag (and maybe even a car).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The type of bucks that would put him well on the way to affording a second house.
    Or a new blog.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

14. Likes Insufficient Intent, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    You’d expect teams will try and pick apart our midfield. Dunkley, Smith and Lippinski will definitely get targeted. Hopefully we keep them together long enough to win a flag (and maybe even a car).
    Completely agree. I think we will even look at our midfield and make some decisions about where we see some players progressing to. If Dunks goes, Lipinski stays, but if Dunks stays I can see Lip looking for opportunities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Completely agree. I think we will even look at our midfield and make some decisions about where we see some players progressing to. If Dunks goes, Lipinski stays, but if Dunks stays I can see Lip looking for opportunities.
    I wonder if that happens whether we can question Lipinski's character and commitment then?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I wonder if that happens whether we can question Lipinski's character and commitment then?
    I don't blame Lipinski if he looks elsewhere for better opportunity. Our midfield has depth this year and maybe more to come so I don't see how he can fit into it in the short term (2-3 years). I don't see Lipinski dominating midfield clearances, bursting through packs with break away speed or clearing zones with long kicking. Hope to be proven wrong, but he does not have anything outstanding or point of difference that jumps out atm.

An analogy would be Heath Scotland , could not fit into Piesmidfield in 2003 ( they had a pretty good year) and ended up at Carlton playing lots of games. Maybe Carlton could be a good trade target, they need depth and some mature bodies in their midfield. AFL is a business and we need to get best currency for him whilst we can.

18. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lippa reminds me a bit of Gia when it comes to how he fits from a midfield perspective. Gia was an amazing kick, great in traffic with good hands, extremely clever with the ball and a little bit suspect on the tackle/ body when playing midfield.

Unfortunately for Lippa he's not got the go forward option that Gia did to really kick start his career and solidify his spot in the team.....because Gia was a freak and not many players are able to adjust like he did.

I want to hang on to him as long as we possibly can though, he's good enough (or will be soon) to be playing a senior role in an AFL midfield but isn't because he doesn't have opportunity with us to do so. If that's the type of depth our midfield has we're in pretty good shape.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

To question a player's character on the basis of them seeking a promotion with another organisation on loads more cash is pretty crazy. I mean sign me up to that thanks.

I can honestly see him signing a new two year contract at the end of 2022, he'll be 27 at the end of that and at the height of his powers. Hopefully he'll have another flag under his belt and can sign a 3 year deal elsewhere on huge coin.

He seems content, is playing really well and has his BFF at the club reckon he's a good chance to sign on.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

21. Likes EasternWest liked this post